X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Beer Pong Horn View Post
    ...yeah. 15.
    Yeah. Anyone else a little worried that the bank guy got a simply arithmetic question wrong?

Comment

• Re: TRP: Changing Conferences Since 1999

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
      Yeah. Anyone else a little worried that the bank guy got a simply arithmetic question wrong?
      I completely missed the minus sign.

And I don't deal with the money anymore. Instead I design the logic on how to balance and move the money. It's much more dangerous.

ETA: What's scarier is that an employed engineer got it wrong. And that his wrong answer is the most popular answer given.
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post

And I don't deal with the money anymore. Instead I design the logic on how to balance and move the money. It's much more dangerous.

ETA: What's scarier is that an employed engineer got it wrong. And that his wrong answer is the most popular answer given.
        Well he designs display booths. It's not like it matters if he screws up.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post

We use computers to do the actual calculations.
          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
            5 + 5 + 5 - 5 + 5 + 5 - 5 + 5 x 0 = ?

The answer to this is 25, right? 5 + 5 + 5 - 5 + 5 = 25, then 5 - 5 = 0 and 5 x 0 = 0 too. The multiplier is taken on the final term (in this case a single 5) and not the the total of each term up to that point, right?

The reason I ask is because I just went to Facebook, and WPOS answered the poll which is what brought it to my attention. The comment added by the person asking the question is "5 + 5 + 5 - 5 + 5 + 5 - 5 + 5 x 0 = ? (I Bet More People Will Answer It Wrong:P) Give A Try !!" It's been a long time since I've had to do that sort of math, so I'm asking here. Well, it's that and the fact that the poll doesn't list 25 as a potential answer. I'm pretty sure someone was just *ing with a lot of people who are bad at math, you know, lottery players. The answer options given are 40, 0, 15 and 20.

ETA: And I now see that I completely missed a - sign in there, thinking it was a + sign. I got it now. ...I'm an idiot.
            Isn't the answer 0? Anything x0 = 0.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
              Nope, you only do that if you're multiplying the entire series by 0, that is, if it's (5 + 5 + 5 - 5 + 5 + 5 - 5 + 5) x 0. Without parentheses denoting that they want you to sum up the entire series before multiplying it, you treat it like (5 x 5) + (2 x -5) + (5 x 0). The more complex operations (multiplication, division) always get done before the less complicated (addition, subtraction.)

EDIT: Sorry, melmac.
              Augsburg College: Wait, there's another D-3 school whose name starts with "A"?

Originally posted by The Darkness:
              I don't see you asking Beer Pong Horn if he practices a religion from the beer continent.

Originally posted by bigblue_dl:
              Wow. Tech fans are such a-holes. I think I saw Beer Pong Horn kick a blind puppy once.

Boosh Factor (6-27-12): Summer Vacation

Comment

No, there are multiple terms in the equation. Each time you insert a + or - into an equation you're creating a new term, unless you group them using parentheses. Each term is treated separately from the other. In this case, there are 8 terms, 5*0 being one term. So if the equation had been written as (5 + 5 + 5 - 5 + 5 + 5 - 5 + 5) x 0, that would = 0. When it's written as 5 + 5 + 5 - 5 + 5 + 5 - 5 + 5 x 0, that equals 15.
                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Yeah, its just a simple order of operations problem. But since most people forget about order of operations, it isn't as easy as it really should be.
                  Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally!!

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
                      Oh, is she drunk and flirting with the pool boy again?

I don't see you asking Beer Pong Horn if he practices a religion from the beer continent.

Wow. Tech fans are such a-holes. I think I saw Beer Pong Horn kick a blind puppy once.

Comment

I knew there was one of those for it, I just couldn't think of it.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

That reminds me about my favorite one of those.

"Five Canaries Got Drunk At Edgar's Bar Mitsvah."
                          the state of hockey is good

Comment

Kings Play Chess On Fine Green Silk
                            My Very Educated Mother Just Served Us Nine Pizzas
                            Code:
                            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                            Originally posted by SanTropez
                            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                            Originally posted by Kepler
                            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by Beer Pong Horn View Post
                              Nope, you only do that if you're multiplying the entire series by 0, that is, if it's (5 + 5 + 5 - 5 + 5 + 5 - 5 + 5) x 0. Without parentheses denoting that they want you to sum up the entire series before multiplying it, you treat it like (5 x 5) + (2 x -5) + (5 x 0). The more complex operations (multiplication, division) always get done before the less complicated (addition, subtraction.)

EDIT: Sorry, melmac.
                              Huh? How do you get that? There were no parentheses in that equation. What tells you not to add and subtract in the order they're listed?

Comment

Huh? How do you get that? There were no parentheses in that equation. What tells you not to add and subtract in the order they're listed?
                                (meaning "Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication, Division, Addition, Subtraction", in that order)

Comment

Working...
                                X