X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: TRP: Changing Conferences Since 1999

Originally posted by jmh View Post
    It is in my field. I usually get to work between 10 and 10:30; I was the first person in the office when I got here at 8:50 today.
    That is crazy. I'd be run out the door if I showed up at 8:50.

I'd assume you'd wake up around 6:00...that seems like a normal time to wake up, unless its earlier. I know many people that wake up earlier than that. I had to be at my summer job at 5:00, so back then I woke up at 4:15. Back when we milked, we were up at 4:00, to start chores and milking at 4:30. Hell, the sun is up at like 5:00, right now, I wake up at 6:00 and I feel like I'm wasting part of the day.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
      That is crazy. I'd be run out the door if I showed up at 8:50.

I'd assume you'd wake up around 6:00...that seems like a normal time to wake up, unless its earlier. I know many people that wake up earlier than that. I had to be at my summer job at 5:00, so back then I woke up at 4:15. Back when we milked, we were up at 4:00, to start chores and milking at 4:30. Hell, the sun is up at like 5:00, right now, I wake up at 6:00 and I feel like I'm wasting part of the day.
      If you're wasting part of the day, it's the part of the day where nothing important is happening. Since I don't have to milk cows or do other farm chores, 7:00 to go to the gym before work is plenty early for me.
      Cornell University Men's Hockey
      NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
      Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

Originally posted by jmh View Post
        If you're wasting part of the day, it's the part of the day where nothing important is happening. Since I don't have to milk cows or do other farm chores, 7:00 to go to the gym before work is plenty early for me.
        The earlier I get to work, the earlier I get my work done so I can leave. And I'm guessing that an hour or 2 in the mid-afternoon is time that you'd consider "something important is happening".
        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

The earlier I get to work, the earlier I get my work done so I can leave. And I'm guessing that an hour or 2 in the mid-afternoon is time that you'd consider "something important is happening".
          Remember though, their 8:50 is our 7:50. Everything we do is an hour earlier than them just to accommodate the self-aggrandized time zone.
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Sure, same for me, but what's the point of getting up before sunrise to get to work at 7 and get home at 5? Paraphrasing what you said earlier, what do you do, sit around for two hours before dinner/everyone else gets done with work?

(Nothing important happens in mid-afternoon either except me doing my work, which, to be fair, is of marginal importance at best.)
            Cornell University Men's Hockey
            NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
            Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

I get up at 6:30-ish and depending on the the day/the weather/etc., my commute gets me in the office anywhere between 8:30 and 9:00. Some people get here around 8-ish, but they leave at 4pm. I can never leave at 4pm and several nights I'm here close to 6pm. I am not a morning person, I'd rather stay late. I do get a lot of work done after 5pm as many people have left. Your early morning is the same as my late afternoon/early evening. Plus, we deal with folks across the US so if I'm working on something for someone on the west coast, it's not smart for me to leave the ofice when it's barely afternoon out there.

Comment

Up at 8, at work at 9. Home usually around 7ish.

Waking up/what "early" is, is all relative to what your work schedule is.
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

My insomnia keeps me up to near 3 every night, so if my boss made me go in for "normal" office hours I'd have been fired long ago.

I usually go in between 10-10:30 unless I have an earlier meeting. I'm not really functionally awake until 11ish. I'm simply not a morning person.
                  I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

Its not that I'm not a morning person, I am just a night owl naturally. If I don't have something scheduled that requires me to get up for more than a few weeks or so, I shift into going to bed at 4:00 or 5:00 am and getting up at noon. With my current job I am forced to get up at 4:00 or 5:00 am, and can function fine.
                    the state of hockey is good

Comment

I'm in the office between 6-7:30 am, but I am not a morning person either (and I'm not a night owl. I like to sleep). I force myself to do it so I can have Mondays off and occasionally leave at 4. We're supposed to be here from 8-5 if we're oncall, so it works out for me, since I worked 9 hour days anyway. I thought it would be harder getting up earlier - but it hasn't been bad.

Comment

Definitely a night person, but I can get up and function early if I have to...I consider early anything before 10 AM.
                        Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                        Originally posted by Quizmire
                        mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                        MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                        MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                        I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

I can't really be a comparative example since my work schedule is 6 hours on/6 hours off... repeat for 28 days straight. I work 11-5, am and pm.

When I'm home, I typically stay up until 2-3 and try to wake up somewhere around 10.

Comment

Up by 6, out the door by 7:30 (shower, breakfast, check e-mail, watch a bit of the news). In the office by 8 am. Out by some time between 5 and 7:30 pm most nights.
                            Code:
                            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                            Originally posted by SanTropez
                            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                            Originally posted by Kepler
                            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

5 + 5 + 5 - 5 + 5 + 5 - 5 + 5 x 0 = ?

The answer to this is 25, right? 5 + 5 + 5 - 5 + 5 = 25, then 5 - 5 = 0 and 5 x 0 = 0 too. The multiplier is taken on the final term (in this case a single 5) and not the the total of each term up to that point, right?

The reason I ask is because I just went to Facebook, and WPOS answered the poll which is what brought it to my attention. The comment added by the person asking the question is "5 + 5 + 5 - 5 + 5 + 5 - 5 + 5 x 0 = ? (I Bet More People Will Answer It Wrong:P) Give A Try !!" It's been a long time since I've had to do that sort of math, so I'm asking here. Well, it's that and the fact that the poll doesn't list 25 as a potential answer. I'm pretty sure someone was just *ing with a lot of people who are bad at math, you know, lottery players. The answer options given are 40, 0, 15 and 20.

ETA: And I now see that I completely missed a - sign in there, thinking it was a + sign. I got it now. ...I'm an idiot.
                              Last edited by St. Clown; 07-15-2012, 11:24 PM.
                              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                                5 + 5 + 5 - 5 + 5 + 5 - 5 + 5 x 0 = ?

The answer to this is 25, right? 5 + 5 + 5 - 5 + 5 = 25, then 5 - 5 = 0 and 5 x 0 = 0 too. The multiplier is taken on the final term (in this case a single 5) and not the the total of each term up to that point, right?

The reason I ask is because I just went to Facebook, and WPOS answered the poll which is what brought it to my attention. The comment added by the person asking the question is "5 + 5 + 5 - 5 + 5 + 5 - 5 + 5 x 0 = ? (I Bet More People Will Answer It Wrong:P) Give A Try !!" It's been a long time since I've had to do that sort of math, so I'm asking here. Well, it's that and the fact that the poll doesn't list 25 as a potential answer. I'm pretty sure someone was just *ing with a lot of people who are bad at math, you know, lottery players. The answer options given are 40, 0, 15 and 20.

ETA: And I now see that I completely missed a - sign in there, thinking it was a + sign. I got it now. ...I'm an idiot.
                                ...yeah. 15.
                                Augsburg College: Wait, there's another D-3 school whose name starts with "A"?

Originally posted by The Darkness:
                                I don't see you asking Beer Pong Horn if he practices a religion from the beer continent.

Originally posted by bigblue_dl:
                                Wow. Tech fans are such a-holes. I think I saw Beer Pong Horn kick a blind puppy once.

Boosh Factor (6-27-12): Summer Vacation

Comment

Working...
                                X