This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: TRP: Changing Conferences Since 1999

Craigslist scams are getting pretty tricky nowadays...

Been occasionally browsing at apartments on CL since for some reason, 1br apartments in the areas I'm looking are pretty **** hard to come by on the internet for some reason... Gotten 2 hits on ones that seemed to be good fits... Nice price, location, etc... Sent e-mails asking questions and looking for info...

Both times I got a response stating that the owner was on a mission trip somewhere halfway across the globe... Because of that, they couldn't show the apartment... I was told to just drive by and check it out... If I wanted the property, they would send me paperwork and I would sign and send that back halfway across the globe with my deposit and 1st months rent... Once received, I would be sent the keys...

Well on both occasions, the ads looked pretty legit... Both had pictures of the buildings that were at the addresses shown and they didn't look like a "stock" photo... In fact, the one place is a pretty unique design that is found in just that part of town... That's what I'm kinda amazed by... The photos they used aren't from the Google Earth van or anything like that... They seem to be legit photos...

Kinda makes me wonder if the person running the scam is someone local...
    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Wow, either they think people are so desperate or so stupid they will fall for that. Scammers aren't even putting in any effort anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggsy View Post
        Wow, either they think people are so desperate or so stupid they will fall for that. Scammers aren't even putting in any effort anymore.
        We got a Nigerian scam the other day that said someone of our last name died in Nigeria leaving a big estate and they needed our information to see if we were related. Yah, lots a dem Norskes migrated to Nigeria, don't ya know.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggsy View Post
          Well that's just it... They go and get an actual picture of the property at the location they give, but then use something completely unbelievable on the back end of the scam... Doesn't make sense... Well, unless they are just fishing for e-mail addresses... Then I'm screwed
          It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Man, I forgot about how nice spring is, when I can open the windows.
            FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
              Well that's just it... They go and get an actual picture of the property at the location they give, but then use something completely unbelievable on the back end of the scam... Doesn't make sense... Well, unless they are just fishing for e-mail addresses... Then I'm screwed
              On the flip side, it could all be true and they are just having a tough time renting the places because it sounds like such as scam. Regardless, I wouldn't want anything to do with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
                On the flip side, it could all be true and they are just having a tough time renting the places because it sounds like such as scam. Regardless, I wouldn't want anything to do with it.
                If someone is in that situation they should use a rental service to find a renter and take care of showings and payments. If they expect people on craigslist to go through with this procedure, then they deserve to pay rent for an unused apartment.
                Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
                  If that was the case, you'd hope the issue would dawn on them pretty quickly and the would change things up to unload the place. But I guess I may be giving some humanity way too much credit. I mean after all, they actually built a college in North Dakota and people go there willingly to learn.

Comment

*****http://i.qkme.me/3pbwfr.jpg******

Comment

Seriously. What's a "9 to 5 job"?
                      Cornell University Men's Hockey
                      NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
                      Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

Originally posted by jmh View Post
                        Think.....if you were working in a bank, 30 years ago.
                        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

• Originally posted by jmh View Post
                          A white collar job that works 8 hours a day Monday Through Friday?
                          tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by jmh View Post
                            I've got one of those, except it's more like 8-5 since I like to take an hour at lunch. Sometimes I'll be in there on the weekends, but OT is at my discretion usually, and limited to 5 hours unless there's something big going on.
                            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Used to have an 8-5 with an hour lunch for the job before my current one. Now it's 9:30-6 (technically) but the end time is usually around 7.
                              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

I feel like a lazy **** if I get into work after 730.
                                Old Monster Records

Comment

Working...
                                X