No announcement yet.

Banks, Credit Unions, and Fees: Oh my!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Banks, Credit Unions, and Fees: Oh my!

So, as many have probably heard, Bank of America will start charging $5 per month to use a debit card somewhere other than an ATM.

http://www.bizjournals.com/southflor...hly-debit.html

Personally, I don't use Bank of America, but was wondering: Is anyone actually planning to leave this bank simply because of this new fee?

Re: Banks, Credit Unions, and Fees: Oh my!

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    So, as many have probably heard, Bank of America will start charging $5 per month to use a debit card somewhere other than an ATM.

http://www.bizjournals.com/southflor...hly-debit.html

Personally, I don't use Bank of America, but was wondering: Is anyone actually planning to leave this bank simply because of this new fee?
    If I were still there, I would. But they tried to fark me over long ago, so I switched awhile ago. I've got no loyalty to any bank outside of inertia and the pain it is to switch. It really doesn't take much to overcome that inertia, though.

If Wells Fargo ever does the same thing, I know my wife would switch. It doesn't really impact me since I never use my debit card anywhere other than ATMs. But if it weren't for the convenience of having my checking, joint savings, mortgage, and now investment accounts (formerlly wachovia) all in one place, I'd switch to a credit union or locally owned bank in a heartbeat.

Comment

I'd switch in a hearbeat.... I rarely carry cash on me, so my card is probably used for 80% of purchases...
      It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

If Fifth-Third does this, I'll just start planning a weekly trip to the bank for cash, and have my credit card for emergencies.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
          Thinking about it. Depends whether I can find a viable alternative.
          Cornell University Men's Hockey
          NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
          Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
            If Wells Fargo ever does the same thing, I know my wife would switch. It doesn't really impact me since I never use my debit card anywhere other than ATMs. But if it weren't for the convenience of having my checking, joint savings, mortgage, and now investment accounts (formerlly wachovia) all in one place, I'd switch to a credit union or locally owned bank in a heartbeat.
            We have all of those with our credit union now.

Comment

Have Wells and I live off my debit card. It rocks. I have instant records of everything.

If I were still there, I would. But they tried to fark me over long ago, so I switched awhile ago. I've got no loyalty to any bank outside of inertia and the pain it is to switch. It really doesn't take much to overcome that inertia, though.

San Francisco-based Wells Fargo said it will charge a $3 fee for some debit-card customers in Nevada, Washington, Oregon, New Mexico and Georgia, starting Oct. 14. Wells Fargo's fee also applies to debit-card use, not ATM transactions.

The fee won't apply to customers in certain premium accounts.A Wells Fargo spokeswoman said that the fee is part of a pilot program, and that the bank has not determined whether it will roll it out to all customers. Wells Fargo has said it expects to lose $250 million each quarter from the new caps on swipe fees.

I have a premium account tho.
              Go Gophers!

Comment

How much will the "Thanks for bailing us out" fee be?

Comment

Wells Fargo, from one of the similar articles I read, is piloting these fees. Whether or not they'll actually follow through, I don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by jmh View Post
                    Thinking about it. Depends whether I can find a viable alternative.
                    If you're in NYS still, M&T has been advertising free checking. I'm not sure what First Niagara will do after the HSBC merge.

Comment

BoA looks like it's being hit by a Denial of Service. OOPS!

And I think BoA is going to exempt premium accounts, too.
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                        BoA looks like it's being hit by a Denial of Service. OOPS!

And I think BoA is going to exempt premium accounts, too.
                        How BoA hasn't experienced a bank run is beyond me at this point. Who in their right mind would do business with them?!
                        BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                        Skating Friar Jersey
                        AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                        UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                        Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

We have accounts with Wells and a CU. I've already re-fi'd one car loan with the CU and Wells recently dropped their loyalty program. I'm pretty close to moving everything else to the CU except the mtge.

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                            How BoA hasn't experienced a bank run is beyond me at this point. Who in their right mind would do business with them?!
                            But they have "America" right there in their name! Not doing business with them would be terribly unpatriotic.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                              But they have "America" right there in their name! Not doing business with them would be terribly unpatriotic.
                              IIRC, it used to be Bank of Italy, then a big fire and other stuff happened in 1906 in the Bay Area. After the mess was over, it got changed to Bank of America. Are they returning to their roots???
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                              X