Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• leswp1
    replied
    Re: Banks, Credit Unions, and Fees: Oh my!

Originally posted by ScottM View Post
    USAA ftw!

Actually, USAA ended its rewards program for its still-free debit cards. So I use their credit card for its cash rewards and payoff the balance from the debit/checking account.
    Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
    We use a credit card and pay it off each month with a direct transfer, thus getting cash-back rewards and no fees while still earning a tiny bit of interest on our money until the transfer clears. It's not much, but it beats the hell out of paying fees.
    These. I use a credit card and pay off every month. So far this yr I have made over 600$ free and clear doing that. Put everything on it so we get cash back on everything. It also has rewards partners so you can get a gift card for 25$ with 20 of your cash back. Finances all the gift cards for the holiday and did for the school clothes too.

Leave a comment:

• UMDbulldogs#1
    replied

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    Huh. Old-fashioned me mostly paying with cash or check, avoiding all these fees.
    You mean there are still places in the metro that take checks?

The fee could be worse, ya know. The merchant could charge you a flat percent per transaction on top of the purchase price and then your bank could charge you for using the card each month.
    Last edited by UMDbulldogs#1; 10-03-2011, 05:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

• FlagDUDE08
    replied

Good way to do it also. I just find it hilarious that all the people touting debit cards are now on the losing end.
    *as Pat Robertson in his really lame accent* You need to cut up the credit cards!

Leave a comment:

• mookie1995
    replied

i have never had a debit card. i have not had an atm card for 10+ years.

Leave a comment:

• The Rube
    replied

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
    We use a credit card and pay it off each month with a direct transfer, thus getting cash-back rewards and no fees while still earning a tiny bit of interest on our money until the transfer clears. It's not much, but it beats the hell out of paying fees.
    Good way to do it also. I just find it hilarious that all the people touting debit cards are now on the losing end.

Leave a comment:

• goldy_331
    replied

Huh. Old-fashioned me mostly paying with cash or check, avoiding all these fees.

Leave a comment:

• ScottM
    replied

USAA ftw!

Actually, USAA ended its rewards program for its still-free debit cards. So I use their credit card for its cash rewards and payoff the balance from the debit/checking account.

Leave a comment:

• FlagDUDE08
    replied

I know what you mean. I typically do exactly the same.

Leave a comment:

• The Rube
    replied

Leave a comment:

• FlagDUDE08
    replied

Originally posted by Patman View Post
    How BoA hasn't experienced a bank run is beyond me at this point. Who in their right mind would do business with them?!
    Those who deposit anything close to or above the FDIC limit. You should see some of the rates on jumbo CD's relative to the regular ones (minimum deposit of $100,000).

I know HSBC's checking is $8/month unless you either keep $1500 in there or do a no-minimum weekly direct deposit. I wouldn't be surprised if BoA already does something similar.

Do any of the non-Extra members see those Ally ads on here? They may be annoying on here, TV, and radio, but they're actually a pretty decent financial company. They broke off of GMAC (the Chevy financial) at about the time the government sacked GM's leader.

Also, be careful if you go to online savings accounts or MMA's. Maximum 6 withdrawals by federal law, otherwise $10 a transaction. I wonder if companies will stop offering those if that law is repealed.

Leave a comment:

• joecct
    replied

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
    But they have "America" right there in their name! Not doing business with them would be terribly unpatriotic.
    IIRC, it used to be Bank of Italy, then a big fire and other stuff happened in 1906 in the Bay Area. After the mess was over, it got changed to Bank of America. Are they returning to their roots???

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Originally posted by Patman View Post
    How BoA hasn't experienced a bank run is beyond me at this point. Who in their right mind would do business with them?!
    But they have "America" right there in their name! Not doing business with them would be terribly unpatriotic.

Leave a comment:

• Slap Shot
    replied

We have accounts with Wells and a CU. I've already re-fi'd one car loan with the CU and Wells recently dropped their loyalty program. I'm pretty close to moving everything else to the CU except the mtge.

Leave a comment:

• Patman
    replied

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    BoA looks like it's being hit by a Denial of Service. OOPS!

And I think BoA is going to exempt premium accounts, too.

Leave a comment:

• joecct
    replied

BoA looks like it's being hit by a Denial of Service. OOPS!

And I think BoA is going to exempt premium accounts, too.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X