X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The "Complain About ESPN" Thread

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Imagine what will happen if FS1 takes off and you see a massive shift of viewers from Sportscenter to FS1's analogue. Keeping in mind that ESPN just built a $130 million studio for SC. If I'm ESPN, I'm worried. Very worried. Even if FS1 is a flop, there seems to be more and more momentum to challenge their supremacy. This isn't someone trying to edge their way in. This is a series of high profile attempts (with growing frequency) at trying to fill a growing void in quality sports programming.

Then there's the exodus of talent from ESPN and TSN to the direct competitors. I don't know if they've come out and said it, however, I can't help but think it has to do (in part) with the network dictating sensationalistic content.

I'm actually stunned at the choices ESPN is still making. It's almost like they don't understand that they are being laughed at by the vast majority of sports fans.

Maybe they just can't see over the Appalachians...

As a fan of Midwestern sports, why in the world would I tune into daily reports by Sal Pal from Eagles camp, or Jets camp, or Tebow, etc, etc, etc..

How long since the Jets or Eagles were relevant, yet we get seemingly daily reports. I bet ESPN is doing well in the Northeast, which seems to be all they care about.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post

As a fan of Midwestern sports, why in the world would I tune into daily reports by Sal Pal from Eagles camp, or Jets camp, or Tebow, etc, etc, etc..

How long since the Jets or Eagles were relevant, yet we get seemingly daily reports. I bet ESPN is doing well in the Northeast, which seems to be all they care about.
      I dare someone to bring a "ESPN fears Onrait & O'Toole" sign to an ESPN broadcasted game.
      Twitter: DanMountSports
      2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

• Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post

They care about the ratings. To get strong ratings you appeal
        to places where there are a lot of people. The corridors from New England to DC and from San Francisco to San Diego contain over half the country's population. Appeal to them and you have a good chance to get good numbers. Appealing to people in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa and the Dakotas is waaaaaaay down the list. It isn't "east coast bias" so much as appealing to places where there are people. If the vast majority of our population lived in the middle of this country you'd see programming aimed at attracting them. I don't think you'll see a lot of differences with the new FS 1

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
          They care about the ratings. To get strong ratings you appeal
          to places where there are a lot of people. The corridors from New England to DC and from San Francisco to San Diego contain over half the country's population. Appeal to them and you have a good chance to get good numbers. Appealing to people in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa and the Dakotas is waaaaaaay down the list. It isn't "east coast bias" so much as appealing to places where there are people. If the vast majority of our population lived in the middle of this country you'd see programming aimed at attracting them. I don't think you'll see a lot of differences with the new FS 1
          All true.

One of the reasons we point and laugh though is that they try to position themselves as a national network and these days they're basically NESN that shows up in every house. They don't even cover the west coast teams other than the Lakers.

In addition, there've turned into Entertainment Tonight in a lot of ways. Do Patriot fans even care about Tebow?

Comment

One of the reasons we point and laugh though is that they try to position themselves as a national network and these days they're basically NESN that shows up in every house. They don't even cover the west coast teams other than the Lakers.
            No kidding. Do any of the Yankees vs. Red Sox games get broadcast locally or do they get blacked out because 15/18 of them are on ESPN?
            St. Cloud, Minnesota: You could do worse...

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you're surrounded by turkeys.

The 2009 Poser of the Year

Comment

All true.

In addition, there've turned into Entertainment Tonight in a lot of ways. Do Patriot fans even care about Tebow?
              My friends and I were talking about this the other day. I actually think they've followed the MTV model. MTV made it's mark showing music videos. They then morphed into this "original programming" network that just peddles a lot of schlock 24/7. ESPN is doing the same thing. About all you get on ESPN anymore is non-stop video versions of talk radio, with a bunch of people screaming at each other over minutiae even the most devout fan cares very little about.

ESPN will always be there, like Microsoft. But FOX is going to cut into their share, and you'll see a larger migration to the more specialized networks like the MLB and NFL networks, etc...
              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by Dude Love View Post
                No kidding. Do any of the Yankees vs. Red Sox games get broadcast locally or do they get blacked out because 15/18 of them are on ESPN?
                Broadcast exclusivity is for the weekend games only (Fox Saturday, ESPN Sunday Night). Any of the Monday or Wednesday games are also aired by the local station.
                “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Huge applause erupts from this thread:

http://deadspin.com/espns-july-ratin...-too-967158007
                  tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Another survey, this time from FS1. They wanted my opinion on a bunch of different show ideas and what they should be called. Anything that sounds too much like an ESPN (or TMZ) show I shot down. I also said "a new channel" (since they didn't actually say it was for FS1) should emphasize the NHL and international soccer more. One down note: whoever built the survey still lists the NBCSN as Versus. Based on the show ideas from the survey, I'd say FS1 looks promising.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                      Another survey, this time from FS1. They wanted my opinion on a bunch of different show ideas and what they should be called. Anything that sounds too much like an ESPN (or TMZ) show I shot down. I also said "a new channel" (since they didn't actually say it was for FS1) should emphasize the NHL and international soccer more. One down note: whoever built the survey still lists the NBCSN as Versus. Based on the show ideas from the survey, I'd say FS1 looks promising.
                      I just hope they cover all sports, not just the ones they broadcast.

Will we need a "Complain about FS1" thread in 17 days???
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

I thought Fox Sports was also going to be adding FS2 right out of the gate, but they seem to have cooled from that idea (for right now).

I'm hoping that some of their regional NHL games can get simulcast on FS1. Or, at the very least that "Fox Sports Go" gets a nice app on AppleTV. Right next to WatchESPN.
                        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Wall to wall coverage of Riley Cooper.

"Let's go live to Sal Pal!"

Next channel please...

Comment

Next channel please...
                            I'm happy to say that I don't know who either of those people are. My ESPN avoidance skills are approaching a master's level.
                            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                              I'm happy to say that I don't know who either of those people are. My ESPN avoidance skills are approaching a master's level.
                              I was surfing coz Mike & Mike are preempted by the women's British Open. I settled on NHL Network which was showing a replay of Toronto's epic game 7 collapse.

Comment

Next channel please...
                                You mean no coverage of Drew Brees leaving a $3 tip for takeout at the Chinese restaurant?

Comment

Working...
                                X