X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The "Complain About ESPN" Thread

Originally posted by Dude Love View Post
    I actually have a compliment for ESPN. For the most part, the articles on ESPN.com are very well-written. Head over to Yahoo and it's just a mess.
    I think many of us could be a better legit news source than Yahoo. They're not quite TMZ...but man, they are bad.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

I didn't mind ESPN's broadcast of The Open. They were fine, and had enough "golf" guys on the broadcast that they could do it right. It was ****ing annoying to see the "OMG ITS THE YANKEES AND RED SOX ON ESPN TONIGHT!!!!! THIS IS THE GREATEST THING EVAR!!!!" commercials every single commercial break.
      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
        I didn't mind ESPN's broadcast of The Open. They were fine, and had enough "golf" guys on the broadcast that they could do it right. It was ****ing annoying to see the "OMG ITS THE YANKEES AND RED SOX ON ESPN TONIGHT!!!!! THIS IS THE GREATEST THING EVAR!!!!" commercials every single commercial break.
        I loved when they were talking about Sunday Night Baseball - Yankees vs Red Sox "and then the Yankees travel to" whereever and are featured on Monday Night Baseball too...yay.
        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

The only way to watch the Open was on the BBC (Channel 705 on DirecTV) because they focused completely on golf, offered authentic historical facts (not the pap ESPN peddles) and had commentators who pulled no punches. At one point they were describing Woods and Scott on the green and said, "Those were two horrendous putts." Throughout the day they were criticizing players for poor play just as often as they were praising good shots. How often does ESPN criticize any golfer on the course, much less Tiger?

Oh, and the Yankees go to Arlington

Comment

I actually have a compliment for ESPN. For the most part, the articles on ESPN.com are very well-written. Head over to Yahoo and it's just a mess.
            The problem I have with ESPN and ESPN.com is that guys like Adam Schefter will take a story from Yahoo and the tagline will read: "ESPN's Adam Schefter is reporting such and such." Or "Sources tell Adam Schefter that so and so has been traded." When really it's a local paper or Yahoo that breaks it.

Adam Schefter is a phony and I'll never get why people treat him like an oracle.
            Code:
            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
            Originally posted by SanTropez
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
            Originally posted by Kepler
            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
              The problem I have with ESPN and ESPN.com is that guys like Adam Schefter will take a story from Yahoo and the tagline will read: "ESPN's Adam Schefter is reporting such and such." Or "Sources tell Adam Schefter that so and so has been traded." When really it's a local paper or Yahoo that breaks it.

Adam Schefter is a phony and I'll never get why people treat him like an oracle.
              I know that the mothership could do a good job being a real sports news power. Guys like LeBrun, Burnside and others are great reports. Puck Daddy always reminds fans not to paint the .com hockey guys with the same "feces-covered (his words, not mind) brush." OTL still has its good moments but we are relegated to Bayless and Smith braying like idiots about Tebow, the NBA and other network approved subjects. And Ditto on guys like Schefter that cut and paste their name onto someone else's hard work.
              Twitter: DanMountSports
              2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Here is the article I was thinking about earlier:

http://www.awfulannouncing.com/2013/...rtscenter.html
                tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                  How often does ESPN criticize any golfer on the course, much less Tiger?
                  During the round, quite often.

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                    Here is the article I was thinking about earlier:

http://www.awfulannouncing.com/2013/...rtscenter.html
                    Imagine what will happen if FS1 takes off and you see a massive shift of viewers from Sportscenter to FS1's analogue. Keeping in mind that ESPN just built a $130 million studio for SC. If I'm ESPN, I'm worried. Very worried. Even if FS1 is a flop, there seems to be more and more momentum to challenge their supremacy. This isn't someone trying to edge their way in. This is a series of high profile attempts (with growing frequency) at trying to fill a growing void in quality sports programming.

Then there's the exodus of talent from ESPN and TSN to the direct competitors. I don't know if they've come out and said it, however, I can't help but think it has to do (in part) with the network dictating sensationalistic content.

I'm actually stunned at the choices ESPN is still making. It's almost like they don't understand that they are being laughed at by the vast majority of sports fans. Maybe they do though. Obviously the 30%+ drop in primetime Sportscenter ratings was a wake-up call as I see Keith Olbermann was recently hired. I can't imagine him going on about Lebronathon or Kobejesus or Tebowchrist.

I hope to God FS1 starts spanking ESPN in the ratings. It's time for the monopoly in sports to go away.
                    Code:
                    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                    Originally posted by SanTropez
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                    Originally posted by Kepler
                    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I don't think Olbermann is doing Sportscenter at all though, just a night time talk show. Which will probably not end well because Keith does not play well with others. Except Dan Patrick.
                      Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Oh it's pretty obvious that 90% of the time "sources say" actually means "Yahoo Sports did all the legwork here," but at least ESPN's stories don't look like they were written by someone failing a high school writing class.
                        St. Cloud, Minnesota: You could do worse...

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you're surrounded by turkeys.

The 2009 Poser of the Year

Comment

Oh it's pretty obvious that 90% of the time "sources say" actually means "Yahoos Sports did all the legwork here," but at least ESPN's stories don't look like they were written by someone failing a high school writing class.
                          This.

"Sources say" is the same as inserting "alleged/allegedly." It covers your arse.
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Had three different invites to do surveys this morning and ESPN was the topic (directly or indirectly) of all three. They are getting really nervous about Fox Sports One.

Comment

ESPN head honcho regrets not getting NHL back.

"I regret not being able to get hockey back. We made a strong bid for it last time [in 2011]. But the NHL felt well served by NBC. So that's kind of something you have to respect, that they wanted to stay with the incumbents," Skipper told Hollywood Reporter's Marisa Guthrie.

After the 2004-05 lockout, ESPN opted out of a two-year deal with the NHL, leaving the league without a cable partner. In 2005, Comcast paid $70 million a year for three years to air NHL games on the Outdoor Living Network, renamed Versus in 2006. In 2011, Comcast acquired a majority share of NBC/Universal. As a result, NBC Sports and Versus relaunched as the NBC Sports Network. The same year, the NHL decided to stick with NBC Sports Group and signed an exclusive 10-year contract worth $2 billion.
                              Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

I remember the author of the book about ESPN "These Guys Have All the Fun" said many at ESPN were furious that hockey got axed.
                                Twitter: DanMountSports
                                2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Working...
                                X