This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The "Complain About ESPN" Thread

I have to agree with XYZ. There are enough alternatives out there. IF I decide to turn on ESPN for whatever reason, I know what I'm getting into, and forego any right to beech about the coverage. It's not like I have no idea what they will be spotlighting/etc. They've been around for 30+ years, as have I, so it's not a surprise.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by MountieBoyOz View Post
      Again, I work in a sports department and I was told check the Nationwide race. The whole two minutes I was watching was Howard didn't stay with the Lakers because blah blah blah or Howard told people he didn't want to be Kobe's second banana and Steve Nash is old blah blah blah. Nothing else was on that bottomline for that two minutes even though there was MLB going on and NHL free agency. I'd welcome mindless NFL stuff at the point. Lay off for once, X. You complain about my complaining so that makes you just as bad if not worse than me.
      Dude!!! www.NASCAR.com

As a Journalist, shouldn't you be going direct to the source as much as you can all the time?? Why dink around with a third party there, IE the four letter network??
      Last edited by bigmrg74; 07-06-2013, 01:20 AM.
      bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Yes by turning ESPN on you are just giving credence to their showing this stuff.
        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

I still watch ESPn for live sporting events and only for that, so I can't ***** about the most hated aspects of their coverage anymore. Can't gripe about their awful balance of coverage on Sportscenter and the mess that is their talking head shows if I don't watch them.

But having the Wimbledon championship matches on cable instead of broadcast TV? Poor form. That ought to be on their broadcast channels.

I get the business side of forcing people to pay for cable if they can't reach a certain quota of advertising dollars on ABC, but watching Wimbledon on NBC during my summer vacations as a boy was how I started to love tennis so much, so it's a bit sentimental for me.
          If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

I guess we're the only ones who want highlight shows:

http://www.awfulannouncing.com/2013/...ghts-show.html

Cannot seem to find the critique of SportsCenter and how it has changed over the last couple of years. I'll keeping looking.
            tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
              I guess we're the only ones who want highlight shows:

Cannot seem to find the critique of SportsCenter and how it has changed over the last couple of years. I'll keeping looking.
              That's why I hope the two guys from TSN (Which is miles better than ESPN.) can bring their magic to Fox Sports 1. I wish I could get TSN just for the awesome Top 10s they churn out on a daily basis.
              Last edited by MountieBoyOz; 07-06-2013, 10:40 PM.
              Twitter: DanMountSports
              2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

I love the pure highlights shows with one added thing: a brief breakdown of the play when necessary. Example: a WR gets wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide open on a TD catch. Break it down on how he got that wide open? Blown coverage? DB slipped on the field? What? That sorta thing. Has to be brief, though, and not beaten to death by 10 different angles and analysts.
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                  I love the pure highlights shows with one added thing: a brief breakdown of the play when necessary. Example: a WR gets wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide open on a TD catch. Break it down on how he got that wide open? Blown coverage? DB slipped on the field? What? That sorta thing. Has to be brief, though, and not beaten to death by 10 different angles and analysts.
                  That's the rub, isn't it? Repetition and over-saturation seems to be the key for SC.

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                    That's the rub, isn't it? Repetition and over-saturation seems to be the key for SC.
                    A-Fookin'-greed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                      A-Fookin'-greed.
                      And now that I've finally been able to read the awful announcing article, that's basically the point they were trying to make. The demand for a straight highlights show isn't there (as much as I loved The Lights before its hiatus, and as much a I'm sure I'll hate it when the retooled version comes back... I'm the minority), and people do want some additional insight. But there's a difference between more insight and the endless loop of tripe ESPN tries to force down you throat.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                        Right, bringing up a story once an hour cycle is enough.
                        bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

Comment

• Originally posted by Biddco View Post

How ESPN ditched Journalism and followed Skip Bayless to the Altar of Tebow.

Is that the one??
                          Last edited by bigmrg74; 07-07-2013, 07:01 PM.

It just happens.

Comment

ESPY ad with RGIII. Well done, except, ZERO mention of the Stanley Cup Final. I know, I know, ESPN hates on the NHL, but really, not one mention? Sad.
                            It Happened!!!!

Comment

No, but it is along the same lines. THe one I am thinking of is a Awful Announcing blog post.
                              tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

ESPN viewership in Q2 drops sharply
                                Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                                Originally posted by Quizmire
                                mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                                MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                                MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                                I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Working...
                                X