This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The "Complain About ESPN" Thread

I'd ruin Michelle Beadle...but I don't listen to her talk enough to know if she's competent.
    St. Cloud, Minnesota: You could do worse...

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you're surrounded by turkeys.

The 2009 Poser of the Year

Comment

• Originally posted by Dude Love View Post
      I'd ruin Michelle Beadle...but I don't listen to her talk enough to know if she's competent.
      She's alright. Her role on SportsNation seems to be similar to what Jacobson did with Bayless: be the voice of reason when Cowherd goes off the radar.

Of course, that show is so gimmicky and ridiculous that she's not exactly steering it back to anyplace useful, but at least she appears to be from planet Earth. That's more than Bayless, Cowherd and their ilk can claim.
      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
        She's alright. Her role on SportsNation seems to be similar to what Jacobson did with Bayless: be the voice of reason when Cowherd goes off the radar.

Of course, that show is so gimmicky and ridiculous that she's not exactly steering it back to anyplace useful, but at least she appears to be from planet Earth. That's more than Bayless, Cowherd and their ilk can claim.
        Completely agree. I tried to watch one episode of Sportsnation and I couldn't believe even ESPN would put that kind of TMZ trash on the air. Seriously, I was in disbelief. What an AWFUL concept for a sports show. I don't care what the fans think. I want to see a couple of competent analysts discuss the topic at hand, assuming it's relevant.

I couldn't even make it through the first two segments on Sportsnation.
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

On the plus side: Beadle is good to look at, and her personality makes it a better watch than First Take. Thankfully, I have a job so I'm never at home, bored enough to actually think that watching either show is a good use of my time.
          If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
            Who even likes Skip Bayless? I can't say I know a single person that does. Do they keep him there to be the villain, or is there a mass following that I am unaware of that loves him?
            Listen to Dan Patrick's show sometime if you want the inside scoop on things that happen at the Mothership. He may be a little biased, but there's a lot of truth in what he says. When it comes to shows like "First Take" the producers basically tell the "talent" like Bayless what the topics are going to be and they pick sides to argue - even if they disagree with what they're saying. They think arguing makes better TV. It doesn't matter if two weeks ago Bayless argued the exact opposite of what he's saying now, just as long as there's friction. ESPN gets over $5/subscriber now, so they're getting ratings. I don't think anyone else is even over $4/subscriber. If we ever go to the a la carte thing everyone seems to want, they're going to charge as much or more than HBO ($16.00/month). And people will pay it because we want college football, MLB, NBA and Monday Night Football.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
              Listen to Dan Patrick's show sometime if you want the inside scoop on things that happen at the Mothership. He may be a little biased, but there's a lot of truth in what he says. When it comes to shows like "First Take" the producers basically tell the "talent" like Bayless what the topics are going to be and they pick sides to argue - even if they disagree with what they're saying. They think arguing makes better TV. It doesn't matter if two weeks ago Bayless argued the exact opposite of what he's saying now, just as long as there's friction. ESPN gets over $5/subscriber now, so they're getting ratings. I don't think anyone else is even over $4/subscriber. If we ever go to the a la carte thing everyone seems to want, they're going to charge as much or more than HBO ($16.00/month). And people will pay it because we want college football, MLB, NBA and Monday Night Football.
              Many years ago I was discussing cable prices with my old man. I was for the a la carte transition myself until he explained how cable pricing works. It became readily apparent that a la carte would only cost more for less. That said, cable is becoming almost obscenely expensive.
              Code:
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                Many years ago I was discussing cable prices with my old man. I was for the a la carte transition myself until he explained how cable pricing works. It became readily apparent that a la carte would only cost more for less. That said, cable is becoming almost obscenely expensive.
                ESPN on Xbox is a great idea. When I move into my own place here in a few weeks Im not even going to get cable. Ive got Hulu, Netflix.
                Cat Chat, The U.P's best College Sports Show. Check us out at www.catchattv.org

Born a Black Bear
                1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012

A NMU Wildcat for Life
                1980 1981 1989 1991 1992 1993 1999 2010

NMU Hockey
                2006-2007: 15-24-2
                2007-2008: 20-20-4
                2008-2009: 18-16-5

1903 1912 1915 1916 1918 2004 2007

Comment

*****http://consumerist.com/3-9-2010%202-23-31%20PM.jpg******

Here's a 3 year old listing of subscriber fee averages.
                  "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Even if ESPN did bump up, I still feel like I'd make out well with ala carte. Probably wouldn't pay for any non-sports channel, and just rely on Hulu or torrents.

Comment

Pierre LeBrun said on his twitter that an updated tribute segment will include the hockey players. Supposed to run on Dec. 29 and Jan. 2. If this is true, well done hockey fans. We can make some kind of difference.
                      Twitter: DanMountSports
                      2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                        Here's a 3 year old listing of subscriber fee averages.
                        Using that data, my cable bill would only be $16.08, but when/if channels go a la carte it will probably be close to $100. I wouldn't be surprised to see Disney do some bundling even on a la carte schemes so that you have to get a bunch of crap channels if you want to get ESPN, Disney Channel etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                          Using that data, my cable bill would only be $16.08, but when/if channels go a la carte it will probably be close to $100. I wouldn't be surprised to see Disney do some bundling even on a la carte schemes so that you have to get a bunch of crap channels if you want to get ESPN, Disney Channel etc.
                          bundling =/= a la carte
                          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                            bundling =/= a la carte
                            Bet they still do it

For example: You can get ESPN for $16, ESPN2 for $10 and Disney Channel for $10. Or you can get the bundle which includes ESPN, ESPN2, Disney and five pieces of crap for $35. Oh, and if you get the bundle, they throw in ESPN3 for free. So you can go a la carte, it'll just be cheaper to bundle - but you'll get the same crap you get now.

If we go to a true a la carte scheme it will mean the end of 75% of the channels on cable/satellite.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                              That dumbass Cowherd almost got canned a couple years back for making tasteless comments after Eddie Guerrero died. He's lucky he's even still around to annoy everyone.
                              St. Cloud, Minnesota: You could do worse...

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you're surrounded by turkeys.

The 2009 Poser of the Year

Comment

Originally posted by Dude Love View Post
                                That dumbass Cowherd almost got canned a couple years back for making tasteless comments after Eddie Guerrero died. He's lucky he's even still around to annoy everyone.
                                Doubtful. Nobody cares about wrestling. Here's what Wikipedia had to say on the subject:

* Eddie Guerrero's Death - In November 2005, Cowherd was criticized by former ESPN ombudsman, George Solomon for his treatment of the death of World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) wrestler Eddie Guerrero. Colin was quoted as saying "he passed away doing steroids", implying that Guerrero's death had been caused by steroid use. According to Dr. Kathryn Berg, the assistant chief medical examiner for Hennepin County in Minnesota, the autopsy showed that Guerrero died from a hardening and narrowing of the arteries that supply blood and oxygen to the heart.[6]
                                Again, that's barely even controversial. Evidence Cowherd has a big mouth without a filter? Yes. Fireable offense? Hardly. Maybe if he made a crack about an NFL player.
                                Code:

Comment

Working...
                                X