This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The "Complain About ESPN" Thread

I have no problem with poking fun at someone about their faith, thus this meme is funny to me and so would the hypothetical one. But, actually being MAD about it seems odd to me.
    the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by WeWantMore View Post
      Would it be viewed that way in the media as a whole though? Hell no.
      Of course, since most reporters are nominally christian, as are most people in this country, it's kind of a "we can mock it because we are one" kind of thing. That it happens to involve the majority instead of the minority is, well, too bad for Tebow.

Also, if a Muslim starred in a Super Bowl ad, wore eye black with verses from the Koran on it, proseltyzed generally, and started praying towards Mecca during the game...well, I bet he would get mocked.

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
        I have no problem with poking fun at someone about their faith, thus this meme is funny to me and so would the hypothetical one. But, actually being MAD about it seems odd to me.
        Originally posted by unofan View Post
        Of course, since most reporters are nominally christian, as are most people in this country, it's kind of a "we can mock it because we are one" kind of thing. That it happens to involve the majority instead of the minority is, well, too bad for Tebow.

Also, if a Muslim starred in a Super Bowl ad, wore eye black with verses from the Koran on it, proseltyzed generally, and started praying towards Mecca during the game...well, I bet he would get mocked.
        To be clear, I have no problem with the mockery of Tebow, or this hypothetical player.

Simply making the point that we would see a whole lot more hand wringing over the latter case.

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
          Of all the things that bother me, Tebow ranks pretty low. There are plenty of things to get more upset about (like the Patriots lack of a pass defense).

Comment

Originally posted by WeWantMore View Post
            I thought this article raised some interesting points.

What if the NFL had a Muslim quarterback, and people mocked him by miming praying to Mecca? Bet that's not funny, right?

On the other hand, like the article says, that hypothetical quarterback probably doesn't have the ardent batch of defenders Tebow has either.
            I dunno, does this hypothetical muslim QB's act of publically praying to Mecca become an internet meme where people take pictures of themselves praying in the middle of McDonalds that the media hypes up?
            "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

I think South Park needs to do a MuslimTebow episode.
              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

• Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                I think South Park needs to do a MuslimTebow episode.
                That could be epic.
                bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

http://minnesota.sbnation.com/minnes...nsin-minnesota
                  Wisconsin Badgers: 1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, 2006 NCAA Champs

Comment

Originally posted by zamboni crash-test dummy View Post
                    I hear the arrowhead of Wisconsin is a lovely place.
                    Cat Chat, The U.P's best College Sports Show. Check us out at www.catchattv.org

Born a Black Bear
                    1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012

A NMU Wildcat for Life
                    1980 1981 1989 1991 1992 1993 1999 2010

NMU Hockey
                    2006-2007: 15-24-2
                    2007-2008: 20-20-4
                    2008-2009: 18-16-5

1903 1912 1915 1916 1918 2004 2007

Comment

They showed the champagne party celebrating the NBA lockout being over on The Ocho.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                        They showed the champagne party celebrating the NBA lockout being over on The Ocho.
                        There was an NBA lockout?
                        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

"LSU-Alabama will be the first ever rematch of a regular season game for a title."- Repeated multiple times last night on ESPN.

Good, I always wished that the 1997 Sugar Bowl had only been a nightmare.
                          "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                            There was an NBA lockout?
                            What is this 'NBA' you speak of?
                            Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

The sound you hear is Gary Bettman jumping out of a window.
                              Twitter: DanMountSports
                              2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Originally posted by MountieBoyOz View Post
                                The sound you hear is Gary Bettman jumping out of a window.
                                But stock in tattoo parlors just doubled.
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids
                                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                                X