X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biddco
    replied
    Re: The "Complain About ESPN" Thread

It's all about the ratings. So tired of seeing the Yankees play.

Leave a comment:

• aparch
    replied

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
    Haha. The left turn boys figured out what we did in 2005.
    Reading some of the story develop back then was interesting. It actually all started in 2001, when FOX(&FX),TNT, and NBC put in a huge bid for the then Winston Cup (now Sprint Cup) and Busch Series (Nationwide Series). ESPN2 still had a two year deal with the Craftsman Truck Series (Camping World Series).

I can't find the links now, but paraphrasing:

The first season was slow, people were still getting used to the new networks (and actually having nationally televised races all season). ESPN didn't give two sh*ts about NASCAR. Meanwhile, FOX was busy putting together SPEED Channel (originally Speedvision), where it started to air NASCAR specific programming, in essence a 24 hour "ESPN RPM2Nite."

Along with the emergence of SPEED Channel (for the second half of 2001, and 2002), and because they were no longer a broadcasting partner, ESPN was told by NASCAR that the only race highlights could be aired by SportsCenter or on ESPNNews. Since ESPN couldn't get "fair coverage" anymore for their RPM2Night show, ESPN then spent the 2002 season trying to "kill" the Craftsman Truck Series by burying tape delayed races until 2 a.m. Saturday, Sunday or Monday nights (Truck races typically were run Thursday or Friday during the day/evening).

FOX, bought out the contract from ESPN for the Truck Series, and moved it solely to SPEED Channel where it anchored end of the week coverage of Cup and Busch series practice and qualifying coverage.

ESPN, meanwhile, watched SPEED, FOX, TNT, and NBC's ratings soar with the live race coverage, but ESPN was happy, because this new found freedom allowed them to load up with football coverage, which fit better with their motives.

But, then midway through 2006, NASCAR's TV rights were up for sale once again, and guess who wanted a piece of the NASCAR money printing machine? Bristol, Connecticut. FOX, TNT, and SPEED were all re-upped for their portions, but ESPN wanted NBC's part (NBC said they wanted out to pursue other events like football).

NASCAR was wise to ESPN, and set strict guidelines that if ESPN wanted NBC's portion of the broadcast, they also couldn't treat the Busch series like they did the Truck series; and that providing a home for the Busch series all season long was part of the deal to get the end of the NASCAR season.

Begrudgingly, ESPN accepted, because they wanted the NASCAR money.

A lot of similarities between NASCAR+ESPN and NHL+ESPN can be drawn. Including the fact that fans of either series have a dedicated channel providing them timely coverage of their sport: SPEED for NASCAR, NHLNet for NHL.

I get the feeling that ESPN is grasping for straws, I've noticed a decrease in baseball coverage too, in part thanks to the MLB Network. They're down to the NBA and NFL, and they're pumping as much as they can into those two sports to save themselves.

Speaking of baseball, here's the breakdown of who's getting air time for the next 24 scheduled primetime Sunday/Monday/Wednesday night games:
    Boston Red Sox 9
    New York Yankees 9
    Detroit Tigers 5
    Tampa Bay Rays 4
    St. Louis Cardinals 3
    Texas Rangers 3
    Cincinnati Reds 2
    Los Angeles Angels 2
    Los Angeles Dodgers 2
    Miami Marlins 2
    New York Mets 2
    Philadelphia Phillies 2
    Atlanta Braves 1
    Chicago Cubs 1
    San Francisco Giants 1

I know there is some flex scheduling with their programing, but that's absurd. But it's all about the ratings, right? Not about what teams are best or good?
    Last edited by aparch; 05-29-2012, 03:05 PM.

Leave a comment:

• bigblue_dl
    replied

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
    For some reason (Danica Patrick?) ESPN prefers NASCAR. Probably because of the drivers (Danica Patrick) being from mostly US states with American names (Danica Patrick) as opposed to IndyCar which seems more international with funny sounding names (Dario Franchitti) which doesn't lend itself well to ESPN.
    There is also a huge following for NASCAR in the US, compared to Indy cars. People here care about the 500, but really don't bother with any other Indy car even unless they're a big-time fan. As much as some people hate to admit it, NASCAR is huge in the US, as far as number of fans is concerned.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
    What I find odd is what some of you are saying about the lack of Indy 500 coverage. Wasn't that one broadcast on ABC, and therefore more important to ESPN?
    For some reason (Danica Patrick?) ESPN prefers NASCAR. Probably because of the drivers (Danica Patrick) being from mostly US states with American names (Danica Patrick) as opposed to IndyCar which seems more international with funny sounding names (Dario Franchitti) which doesn't lend itself well to ESPN.

Leave a comment:

• ExileOnDaytonStreet
    replied

What I find odd is what some of you are saying about the lack of Indy 500 coverage. Wasn't that one broadcast on ABC, and therefore more important to ESPN?

Leave a comment:

• bronconick
    replied

Haha. The left turn boys figured out what we did in 2005.

Leave a comment:

• bigblue_dl
    replied

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
    This is why many of us have stopped watching sports center. http://dalyplanet.blogspot.com/2012/...able-hour.html
    Well, yeah. I quit watching it shortly after I was done with school.

Leave a comment:

• Biddco
    replied
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    There is no way that the Indy 500 isn't the lead story the evening after it ran. No way. Terrible.
    This is why many of us have stopped watching sports center. http://dalyplanet.blogspot.com/2012/05/sportscenter-unwatchable-hour.html

Leave a comment:

• bigblue_dl
    replied

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
    Somebody from CHN was watching SportsCenter to see when highlights of the Indianapolis 500 would air. 38 minutes into the show they ran all of 20 seconds. Big day for Indy Car.
    There is no way that the Indy 500 isn't the lead story the evening after it ran. No way. Terrible.

Leave a comment:

• Dude Love
    replied

Originally posted by SteveP View Post
    What is the issue with Lapanta? I've been reading about the strong negative reaction on a play by play forum.
    He's terrible. How this guy graduated from doing interviews in the left field bleachers at Twins games is beyond me. It's like giving Robbie Inkydinky the job.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Somebody from CHN was watching SportsCenter to see when highlights of the Indianapolis 500 would air. 38 minutes into the show they ran all of 20 seconds. Big day for Indy Car.

Leave a comment:

• Darius
    replied

Last night's NCAA women's championship lacrosse match was moved from ESPNU to ESPN News in favor of a softball super regional (round of 16) game. A bit of karmic redemption for lacrosse.

Leave a comment:

• bigmrg74
    replied

ESPN drops Pam Ward from college football coverage

Drinks all around for everybody over at D2F.com.

Leave a comment:

• bronconick
    replied

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
    I'm just glad Melrose is still around. Who else could find a way to mistake Michigan State for both Western AND UofM during the tournament?
    Maybe if we had combined the rosters, one of us could have won a game this year.

Leave a comment:

• The Rube
    replied

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
    His voice grates on me - fake broadcaster voice - and he speaks too slowly for PBP, causing him to get behind in the play call or try to make up for things by inaccurately describing things at times. I'm sure others have longer, more complete lists.
    Yes. TV Voice. His style and actual commentary isn't bad. But that f*ing voice drives me up the wall. FSN/Wild actually DELAYED the announcement of his hiring because of backlash.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X