X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The "Complain About ESPN" Thread

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
    I had to shut it off this morning with the whole "Linsanity" 24/7 coverage. Now they are working Tebow into the story also.

I imagine they'll find a way to work Lin and Tebow (especially) into Yanks/Sox coverage over the summer.

Can't deal with them any more...
    Just be thankful that they haven't worked BrettFavre into the conversation yet.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by aygwm2 View Post
      I don't know if this has been discussed or not in this thread, so forgive me if I'm bringing up old stuff. And, I know the MLB season is a couple months off, but I was wondering what you all think of ESPN's "Strike Zone Box?" The one that they hang right over home plate in front of the catcher. I cannot watch ESPN MLB broadcasts when they use this--they don't use it all the time. But, to me, it is annoying and distracting, and I want them to remove it from in front of the catcher. I was wondering what the consensus among the rest of you is regarding ESPN's use of the "Strike Zone Box?" I've tried e-mailing ESPN to no avail.
      I noticed it near the end of last year and posted about it, too. I don't like it either - too distracting. There's enough crap on the screen already. The box on the SIDE of the screen with the strike zone is less distracting.

Posting this has reminded me I can't wait for Sunday Night Baseball to start.
      Last edited by jen; 02-17-2012, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by aygwm2 View Post
        I don't know if this has been discussed or not in this thread, so forgive me if I'm bringing up old stuff. And, I know the MLB season is a couple months off, but I was wondering what you all think of ESPN's "Strike Zone Box?" The one that they hang right over home plate in front of the catcher. I cannot watch ESPN MLB broadcasts when they use this--they don't use it all the time. But, to me, it is annoying and distracting, and I want them to remove it from in front of the catcher. I was wondering what the consensus among the rest of you is regarding ESPN's use of the "Strike Zone Box?" I've tried e-mailing ESPN to no avail.
        It's almost as bad as Fox Network's glowing puck.
        Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

*****http://media.247sports.com/Uploads/Boards/825/20825/402733.jpg******

It's like The Onion, except on ESPN.
          Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post

It's like The Onion, except on ESPN.
            The person responsible for the titles has been sacked.
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
              Unless he intentionally tried to make it racial, this should have been a non-issue. Too many hypersensitive people out there. Sometimes a word is just a word and not a racial epithet.
              Code:
              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
              Originally posted by SanTropez
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
              Originally posted by Kepler
              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                Since you asked so nicely.

Twitter: DanMountSports
                2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                  Unless he intentionally tried to make it racial, this should have been a non-issue. Too many hypersensitive people out there. Sometimes a word is just a word and not a racial epithet.
                  chinese community on twitter were livid. learned that this is the n* word to them.
                  a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                    chinese community on twitter were livid. learned that this is the n* word to them.
                    Oh jeeze... So can we not say "Kobe Bryant and the Lakers Whipped by the Thunder"? What about " LeBron Beaten by the Knicks"? (Whether or not the results are possible in reality.)

People need to relax. Especially these race baiters. As someone on GPL said, there is no way someone is stupid enough to do that intentionally and throw away his or her career. I've heard the word used as an epithet maybe twice outside of the movies. Twice in my life.

What's even more hilarious is the Knicks' play-by-play guy apparently used the same phrase on the game's broadcast.
                    Code:
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Oh jeeze... So can we not say "Kobe Bryant and the Lakers Whipped by the Thunder"? What about " LeBron Beaten by the Knicks"? (Whether or not the results are possible in reality.)

People need to relax. Especially these race baiters. As someone on GPL said, there is no way someone is stupid enough to do that intentionally and throw away his or her career. I've heard the word used as an epithet maybe twice outside of the movies. Twice in my life.

What's even more hilarious is the Knicks' play-by-play guy apparently used the same phrase on the game's broadcast.
                      I'm waiting for the headline when they do some sort of monkey business joke directed at Simmonds or Iginla.
                      Twitter: DanMountSports
                      2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Originally posted by MountieBoyOz View Post
                        I'm waiting for the headline when they do some sort of monkey business joke directed at Simmonds or Iginla.
                        I'd die laughing.
                        Code:

Comment

It seems the "Chink in the armor" line was an intentional use of the slur and the person who wrote it has been fired. An anchor who used that line (apparently innocently) on ESPNNews has been suspended for 30 days.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                            It seems the "Chink in the armor" line was an intentional use of the slur and the person who wrote it has been fired. An anchor who used that line (apparently innocently) on ESPNNews has been suspended for 30 days.
                            Source? How do we know it's intentional?

Not directed at you but whomever is reporting this.
                            Code:

Comment

I think the 30 days for Bretos (the ESPNNews anchor) is incredibly, incredibly harsh. Watch the video:

Utterly ridiculous.

Comment

Source? How do we know it's intentional?

Not directed at you but whomever is reporting this.
                                Yahoo Sports

Apparently intentional, ESPN’s since-deleted headline about Jeremy Lin was distressing

For whatever reason, we're assuming it's because ESPN found out that the person in charge of the headline was attempting a lame joke, the axe has hit. Here's an extended response from ESPN:

Saturday we apologized for two references. We have since learned of a similar reference Friday on ESPN Radio New York. The incidents were separate and different. We have engaged in a thorough review of all three and have taken the following action:

• The ESPN employee responsible for our Mobile headline has been dismissed.
                                • The ESPNEWS anchor has been suspended for 30 days.
                                • The radio commentator is not an ESPN employee.
                                So there you go. Nothing any of us should be happy about. It seems as if the "chink" comment had more to do with a racial slur than an oft-used part of a cliche referencing medieval armor. That saddens not only because of the racial implications ... but because someone would actually think a headline like that as clever or funny. Do these people have Twitter accounts? Can't they compare their output with anyone else's?
                                The implication being that if the headline had been an honest mistake the writer would have been suspended, as the anchor was. The fact that the person was dismissed points to an intentional use of the word.

But Yahoo does need to work on presenting these things better. In one sentence they indicate it was a lame joke but later say it was intentional.

Comment

Working...
                                X