X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The "Complain About ESPN" Thread

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
    Versus/NBC doesn't need to "build from the ground up" with fringe sports at this point.

They need to outbid ESPN/FOX/CBS for a few mainstream sports. The 8 Thursday night NFL games next year, one of the baseball packages, the Big East football/basketball contracts that are coming up. That sort of stuff.
    I like where your head is at. I doubt the NFL would give up the Thursday package. They need that so they can force NFL Network onto certain providers.
    Twitter: DanMountSports
    2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Originally posted by MountieBoyOz View Post
      I like where your head is at. I doubt the NFL would give up the Thursday package. They need that so they can force NFL Network onto certain providers.
      Completely agree on the Thursday package.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

BTW: Could you post that complaint on here? Thanks.
        It's gone. Bucci must have deleted the tweet.
        St. Cloud, Minnesota: You could do worse...

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you're surrounded by turkeys.

The 2009 Poser of the Year

Comment

Originally posted by Dude Love View Post
          Probably had a gun to his head.
          Code:
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Last I heard they were adding a Thursday game every week and were thinking of offering the first 8 for sale and keeping the remainder on NFLN.
            "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

When is the Big East contract up? It would definitely add to the "NDC" stereotype, but it would help Versus even after Pitt and Cuse leave.

Them grabbing the Mountain West contract seemed like a sleeper pick at the time. I thought the MW had a chance at taking the Big East's BCS bid, but that's not going to happen since Utah left and Boise and TCU are leaving.

Also, when does the college hockey on Versus/NBCSports start?
              Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                Also, when does the college hockey on Versus/NBCSports start?
                New Year's Eve.
                If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                  New Year's Eve.
                  Bull riding is going to get higher ratings.
                  Code:

Comment

Originally posted by Dude Love View Post
                    The Internet remembers everything.

@Buccigross John Buccigross
                    "@kydennis: @Buccigross :: @ESPN tribute to fallen athletes this year & not ONE mention of a hockey player!?"-that's bad. Sorry.
                    Here are the names mentioned In Memoriam by ESPN in its Year in Review:

• Al Davis
                    • Bubba Smith
                    • Dan Wheldon
                    • John Mackey
                    • Lee Roy Selmon
                    • Hideki Irabu
                    • Dave Duerson
                    • Duke Snider
                    • Walt Hazzard
                    • Harmon Killebrew
                    • Joe Frazier

Not. A. Single. Hockey. Player.

The question then becomes, "why?" Did the suicidal aspects of hockey's summer of tragedy disqualify them? It can't be: Duerson and Irabu both took their lives and made the montage.

Was it a notoriety issue? Even the most ardent puckheads will agree that the three players we lost during the summer didn't have the name recognition of the baseball and football Hall of Famers on this list. But what sports fan wouldn't agree that the death of an entire team, that featured over a dozen former NHL players, wouldn't rise to a level of notoriety that mandates their inclusion in a year in review?

Comment

Bob Forsch was also left off the list. I guess having two no-hitters doesn't matter either.

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Or Seve Ballesteros. That's pretty wrong as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                          Versus/NBC doesn't need to "build from the ground up" with fringe sports at this point.

They need to outbid ESPN/FOX/CBS for a few mainstream sports. The 8 Thursday night NFL games next year, one of the baseball packages, the Big East football/basketball contracts that are coming up. That sort of stuff.
                          It doesn't hurt to build up a few fringe sports though. If you can build something at a low price they are more willing to work with you (see NHL and NBC).

One advantage NBCSN will have is NBC itself. SNF football is the highest rated program each week and, with MLS, NBC has shown they are willing to use it as a promotion vehicle.
                          U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                          Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                          I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                          But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                          Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                          Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Great article about Dana Jacobson "leaving" First Take and Skip Bayless.

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/evmsld

What I think bothers me most for Jacobson is that she now returns to the pool of ESPN talent that never gets pushed externally. Why? Because it's not easy sell. Because they deliver news and do their jobs without shtick or screaming. You know the faces. You might not know the names. It's talent such as Steve Berthiaume, Michelle Bonner, Steve Bunin, Kevin Connors, Robert Flores, Michael Kim, Kevin Negandhi, Dari Nowkhah, Anish Shroff, and Adnan Virk. ESPN recently whacked one of these types J.W. Stewart, a class guy, respected by the rank and file in Bristol.
                            His only fault appeared to be treating viewers like adults.
                            If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                              Great article about Dana Jacobson "leaving" First Take and Skip Bayless.

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/evmsld
                              I don't understand how that show is on anyway. It's been about six straight weeks of nothing but Skip Bayless yelling about Tim Tebow for 15 minutes to Stephen A Smith, 5 minutes of Skip Bayless yelling about Tim Tebow to random NFL guy, plus 2 minutes of some unrelated question like "What's better: Saints running game, or a philly cheese steak?" Ok, that was exagerated, but not too far. I remember one question had something to do with Tony Romo vs. the Packers, which may have been a good question if the two topics were even related (I don't recall exactly what they were, but they had nothing to do with eachother), and even better if the two teams were actually playing against one another.

Who even likes Skip Bayless? I can't say I know a single person that does. Do they keep him there to be the villain, or is there a mass following that I am unaware of that loves him?
                              Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                                Who even likes Skip Bayless? I can't say I know a single person that does. Do they keep him there to be the villain, or is there a mass following that I am unaware of that loves him?
                                Not sure, but while visiting my family for Christmas my 29yo brother made it clear that he thinks Colin Cowherd and Michele Beadle offer awesome analysis and are "hilarious". I don't see it....at all...but from there it's not much of a leap to understand that people no doubt feel the same way about Bayless and Co.

I used to watch ESPN constantly, but those days are long gone. I'm not a fan of noise...and that's about all its got. Can't even stand Berman and his stale 20yo lousy shtick anymore.

My idea of a good show is the old version of Edge NFL Matchup, but I realize that when it comes to marketing, ratings and money-making...my tastes make me a non-existent entity.
                                Last edited by XYZ; 12-29-2011, 12:22 AM.
                                I wish I am able to live long enough to do all the things I was attributed to.

Comment

Working...
                                X