X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Cars

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    The possible penalties the EPA can put on VW include suspending ALL certs for the company, for this kind of flagrant offense. I don't think they would do that, but they could.
    In terms of government reaction, for sure. There's no reason to extra penalize- and if they do any extra checking- it will be to all cars from all companies, as opposed to focusing on VW.

But I think that the public may take a different view. I would not be surprised if VW's gas cars will take a value hit in the used car market, as well as lower new car sales. Consumers already look the other way for some nagging problems VW has- I think this will have them not doing that anymore. "German Engineering" doesn't hold the same value today as it did 3 weeks ago.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
      In terms of government reaction, for sure. There's no reason to extra penalize- and if they do any extra checking- it will be to all cars from all companies, as opposed to focusing on VW.

But I think that the public may take a different view. I would not be surprised if VW's gas cars will take a value hit in the used car market, as well as lower new car sales. Consumers already look the other way for some nagging problems VW has- I think this will have them not doing that anymore. "German Engineering" doesn't hold the same value today as it did 3 weeks ago.
      Frankly, when it comes to the term "German engineering", the value has been pretty ****ty when it comes to cars for while outside of one brand. Most of the rest of them have awful reliability reputation.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
        Frankly, when it comes to the term "German engineering", the value has been pretty ****ty when it comes to cars for while outside of one brand. Most of the rest of them have awful reliability reputation.
        But it was a case of public perception not agreeing with reality. Yeah, VWs were, for the most part, piles of ****, but the public perception of them was anything but that. Hopefully this brings people a little closer to reality, and more people realize that "German Engineering" is a fallacy, and a catch phrase that came from marketing to pull in the people too lazy to do research.
        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Yeah, I'm going back to Japanese for foreign-built vehicle after this one. That was decided before this story broke, too.
          the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
            Yeah, I'm going back to Japanese for foreign-built vehicle after this one. That was decided before this story broke, too.
            You don't like your fellow Americans? Why not? Some of the cars have gotten really good.

Comment

I buy American built cars. But with Japanese names (Subaru from Indiana).

On that topic, I have a screw in one tire of my Impreza. I'm told I can't replace just one tire on an AWD car. But I just learned that Tire Rack will shave a new tire to the same tread depth as the existing tires and then ship it to a local installer. It will then be within the 2/32" tread depth difference (or 1/4" circumference difference) that Subaru says is acceptable. If I don't do that, the difference in tire rotations per mile will put too large a strain on the differentials.

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                Some of the most American cars out there have foreign names on them due to tariffs. IIRC, a few years ago the vehicle with the most American made/sourced parts was the Corvette with around 76% American parts, and next was the Camry at around 71%.
                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post

On that topic, I have a screw in one tire of my Impreza. I'm told I can't replace just one tire on an AWD car. But I just learned that Tire Rack will shave a new tire to the same tread depth as the existing tires and then ship it to a local installer. It will then be within the 2/32" tread depth difference (or 1/4" circumference difference) that Subaru says is acceptable. If I don't do that, the difference in tire rotations per mile will put too large a strain on the differentials.
                  Just underinflate it by about 5 psi, and you'll be fine.
                  Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

• Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                    I bet he wont have a choice. So easy to prevent the car from being re-registered and prevent getting insurance.

It's a massive deal on a nationwide basis, and all cars will be fixed or not driven. As they stand right now, they are not legal for use. How long they will wait to let them get fixed is to be determined.
                    Cash for Clunkers II?
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

(I posted this on another forum I'm on, when the news initially broke. So these reactions are 10 days old or so.)

"As a current (and second time) owner of a VW, I have to say I'm disappointed to see VW in something like this. It's mind boggling that 1. VW would risk their reputation and 2. that it took as long as it did for them to be outed for it.

After VW's struggles with their electronics/electrical difficulties in somewhat recent years, this is just another black eye for a manufacturer that is/was(?) attempting to gain market share.

Fortunately, I'm not impacted by this, as my first was an '11 Tiguan gasser and now a '14 Touareg TDI (3.0 L). I can't say if this will steer me away from another VW when the time comes, but the fact that it even gives me pause is bad news for VW, as I have had nothing but good things to say about both of my vehicles. The only reason I upgraded so quick was for towing capacity and slightly better fuel economy, despite a larger/heavier vehicle."

Comment

• Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                        You don't like your fellow Americans? Why not? Some of the cars have gotten really good.
                        I don't hate American cars. What I meant is that if I happen to purchase another foreign one, it'll be Japanese.

My Mazda was built in Japan, but my Acura was built in Ohio. The Chevy truck I had was built in Canada.
                        the state of hockey is good

Comment

If I don't get another Wrangler next, I might look into Hyundai. The family discount helps that decision.
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                            If I don't get another Wrangler next, I might look into Hyundai. The family discount helps that decision.
                            Family has purchased two Sonatas in a row. They love them. Built in Alabama too.
                            Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
                              Family has purchased two Sonatas in a row. They love them. Built in Alabama too.
                              Pretty much my whole family + bro's in-laws have Hyundais now. I figure, if I have to go bland in style/looks, might as well get it cheap.
                              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                                Cash for Clunkers II?
                                Yeah, but they'll pay in Euros this time.

Comment

Working...
                                X