• Show
Clear All

Re: Cars

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
    How about a V-12?
    Boxer 12.
    Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
    Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

I'm thinking about getting a new car in a few months. Something fun to drive and decent on gas mileage. My jeep is pretty bad, doesn't have cruise control, and gets a little tough to drive on a windy day. Not really sure what I want but financing options are really enticing right now so I may have to up my timetable.

Comment

Originally posted by collegehcky2 View Post
        I'm thinking about getting a new car in a few months. Something fun to drive and decent on gas mileage. My jeep is pretty bad, doesn't have cruise control, and gets a little tough to drive on a windy day. Not really sure what I want but financing options are really enticing right now so I may have to up my timetable.
        Mini Cooper. Good on gas, a hoot to drive, unique, customizable, and they hold their resale value like gangbusters (they're neck-and-neck with the Jeep Wrangler for best resale value.)

I see you're in New England...if you want AWD, can't go wrong with a Subaru. Try an Outback, Legacy, or Impreza.
        Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
          Mini Cooper. Good on gas, a hoot to drive, unique, customizable, and they hold their resale value like gangbusters (they're neck-and-neck with the Jeep Wrangler for best resale value.)

I see you're in New England...if you want AWD, can't go wrong with a Subaru. Try an Outback, Legacy, or Impreza.
          I don't know if I could get away with driving a Mini. I am considering a Subaru but I've driven a few and I haven't been all that impressed.

Comment

I don't know if I could get away with driving a Mini. I am considering a Subaru but I've driven a few and I haven't been all that impressed.
            WRX

Comment

Big question is do you want CUV/SUV or a more typical car. Also, how much are you willing to spend? Otherwise, I can recommend a range rover for you, I've heard good things. Maybe a Bentley?

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
                Big question is do you want CUV/SUV or a more typical car. Also, how much are you willing to spend? Otherwise, I can recommend a range rover for you, I've heard good things. Maybe a Bentley?
                Bugatti Veyron. You wanted fun to drive? You got it!

As for fuel economy, you'll burn through the gas tank in 12 minutes, but that's okay because the tires are worn bald after 10!
                Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

There's a Chevy SUV that gets 32 MPG, but I forget the model name.

You could try the Mazda 3/Ford Focus. They get 40 MPG and I know the older Mazda 3 models were fun to drive. I have a buddy who just bought one last year and thinks it drives and handles just as well as his 2000 BMW 3 series that he traded in. It's not as quick, but still a fun driver.
                  "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

I am partial to W12's.
                    the state of hockey is good

Comment

• Re: Cars

Spark ignition is for *******.

*=female genitalia slang, plural
                      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
                        Bugatti Veyron. You wanted fun to drive? You got it!

As for fuel economy, you'll burn through the gas tank in 12 minutes, but that's okay because the tires are worn bald after 10!
                        And a set of tires may set you back 16,000 as they have to be specially made for the car. I may be one of the older posters on the board-over the years my wife and I have bought or leased (very few leases) for ourselves approximately 60 cars. Add 5 more we bought for my parents in their latter years and 4 for my daughter. We have pretty much had them all but have always been partial to German engineering. We had started researching the Veyron a while back as something to think about. Totally impractical for us for anything but a possible investment. I can't imagine anyplace i could drive it at the 250+ mph it can do and would never make use of the 1000+ horsepower. But it was certainly interesting to investigate.
                        Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                          There's a Chevy SUV that gets 32 MPG, but I forget the model name.

You could try the Mazda 3/Ford Focus. They get 40 MPG and I know the older Mazda 3 models were fun to drive. I have a buddy who just bought one last year and thinks it drives and handles just as well as his 2000 BMW 3 series that he traded in. It's not as quick, but still a fun driver.
                          The Mazda 3s *are* fun to drive, but the most fun to drive models are not exactly good on gas. The 2.5l models are below average on fuel economy, and the 2.3l turbo is even worse*. I have no idea about the new 40mpg model they're advertising. I'm almost hoping it isn't fun to drive - if only to make myself feel better about the thirsty model I bought last year.

*at least with this one, you can recoup some expenses by canceling your gym membership. Need an upper body workout? Try going for a spin in a front-drive compact with 280lb-ft or torque. Floor it and try to keep it straight.
                          1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

I'm looking at spending anywhere from $20,000-$25,000. I've pretty much decided to buy a car, rather than an SUV or crossover. I'm looking into a new Ford Fusion with AWD or buying something on the higher end used. Maybe an Audi or BMW, but the gas mileage on those vehicles tend to be pretty poor.

Comment

Is there an attraction to large engine cars beyond speed? I always wonder because I can't imagine what would cause anyone to buy a car with more than 4 cylinders, so some of these discussions I just don't get. I really am curious if there is more to it than just going fast. (Mind you, I'm not talking about trucks or SUVs. I get the need for power if you're hauling or towing, I just mean basic passenger cars.)

Comment

Originally posted by duper View Post
                                Is there an attraction to large engine cars beyond speed? I always wonder because I can't imagine what would cause anyone to buy a car with more than 4 cylinders, so some of these discussions I just don't get. I really am curious if there is more to it than just going fast. (Mind you, I'm not talking about trucks or SUVs. I get the need for power if you're hauling or towing, I just mean basic passenger cars.)
                                More power /Tim Allen

I have driven both 4 and 6 cyls. My first two cars were Corsicas, one a 4, the next a 6. I will never go back to a 4. Ever. It's a world of difference, IMO.
                                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Working...
                                X