Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2011 D2 Football thread: Or how I still hate Trev Alberts!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nmupiccdiva
    replied
    Re: 2011 D2 Football thread: Or how I still hate Trev Alberts!!!!

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
    Games of interest for this weekend here.....

Thursday, Sept. 1.

7 pm.
    St. Cloud At California (PA)
    Minnesota State-Mankato AT Northern Michigan
    Mayville State (NAIA) At Minnesota-Crookston

Friday, Sept. 2.

7 pm.
    Maritime (D3) At Bentley
    Curry (D3) At Stonehill
    7:30 pm
    Hillsdale At Ferris State

Saturday, Sept. 3.

Noon
    Bowie State At Assumption
    Notre Dame At Mercyhurst
    Findlay At Northwood
    Urbana At Wayne State (Mich.)

1 pm.
    American International At C.W. Post
    MSU Moorhead At Robert Morris (NAIA)
    Kutztown At Saint Anselm

2 pm.
    Minnesota-Duluth At Augustana

4:30 pm.
    Everybody's favorite Canadians....
    Simon Fraser At Pacific (D3)

5:30 pm.
    Michigan Tech At Winona State

7 pm.
    Worcester Polytechnic (D3) At Merrimack
    I'll be rolling in to Marquette 12-18 hours too late.
    And I'm surprised that UMD/Augustana is this early. Isn't that a bit of a rivalry? (The UMD kids at work made it sound that way, it might just be a Track/XC thing, though.)

Leave a comment:

• bigmrg74
    replied

Originally posted by HumRsky View Post
    That makes sense then. I still think its interesting that a Running Back that led an above-average BCS conference team in rushing for two season dropped all the way to D2. You'd think there'd be some FCS teams that would give him a shot. (Not that I'm not happy to have him IF he gets eligible and stays out of trouble)
    True, but there just might not have been any good spots for him available on any good FCS programs that would be local, or have the money available to chip in with some scholorship money, or are just overall bad programs. As a running back, you know you're going to want to know that you've got a good Oline to run behind to get any good looks anywhere, and I would match UMD's line up against just about anyone's up to about most MAC schools.

Leave a comment:

• HumRsky
    replied

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
    Reports in Iowa say he's sitting out for academic reasons.
    It's why he was suspended by Iowa until he got busted for drugs in Des Moines while under suspension.
    That makes sense then. I still think its interesting that a Running Back that led an above-average BCS conference team in rushing for two season dropped all the way to D2. You'd think there'd be some FCS teams that would give him a shot. (Not that I'm not happy to have him IF he gets eligible and stays out of trouble)

Leave a comment:

• bigmrg74
    replied

Games of interest for this weekend here.....

Thursday, Sept. 1.

7 pm.
    St. Cloud At California (PA)
    Minnesota State-Mankato AT Northern Michigan
    Mayville State (NAIA) At Minnesota-Crookston

Friday, Sept. 2.

7 pm.
    Maritime (D3) At Bentley
    Curry (D3) At Stonehill
    7:30 pm
    Hillsdale At Ferris State

Saturday, Sept. 3.

Noon
    Bowie State At Assumption
    Notre Dame At Mercyhurst
    Findlay At Northwood
    Urbana At Wayne State (Mich.)

1 pm.
    American International At C.W. Post
    MSU Moorhead At Robert Morris (NAIA)
    Kutztown At Saint Anselm

2 pm.
    Minnesota-Duluth At Augustana

4:30 pm.
    Everybody's favorite Canadians....
    Simon Fraser At Pacific (D3)

5:30 pm.
    Michigan Tech At Winona State

7 pm.
    Worcester Polytechnic (D3) At Merrimack

Leave a comment:

• Bob Gray
    replied

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
    It's why he was suspended by Iowa until he got busted for drugs in Des Moines while under suspension.
    Yah, one of the articles I read said UMD officials said he was sitting out a year due to academic issues. Which of course means you're not sure if he'll have his ducks in a row a year from now either.

Leave a comment:

• First Time, Long Time
    replied

Leave a comment:

• bigmrg74
    replied

You certainly have to a optimistic about his ability to contribute, but UMD really doesn't need anymore legal trouble. I think its interesting that he transferred down two notches and still had to sit out the year. I also heard a rumor that he blew out his knee on the first day of practice anyway.
    Yeah, its pretty much automatic for a guy to transfer down and be able to technically play right away.

Of course, Transfers aren't always what they're cracked up to be. Some can pan out for ya, but a lot of them come in with the attitude that they was D1 and thus, already better than everybody else there and they don't need to work as hard to be on the field. The ones that do work out are the ones that realize that just because they rode the bench at some D1 school, it doesn't me diddly at D2. The field is still 100 yards long, and you still have a bunch of 18 to 23 year olds who are all pretty decent football players themselves.

Leave a comment:

• HumRsky
    replied
    Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
    Interesting. UMD picks up a transfer from Iowa, Adam Robinson, who led the Hawkeyes in rushing two seasons. He'll sit out for a year and hopefully he stays out of trouble.
    You certainly have to a optimistic about his ability to contribute, but UMD really doesn't need anymore legal trouble. I think its interesting that he transferred down two notches and still had to sit out the year. I also heard a rumor that he blew out his knee on the first day of practice anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Gray
    replied

Interesting. UMD picks up a transfer from Iowa, Adam Robinson, who led the Hawkeyes in rushing two seasons. He'll sit out for a year and hopefully he stays out of trouble.

http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-footbal...tball-transfer

Leave a comment:

• bigmrg74
    replied

I agree with FTLT that St. Cloud beating UMD isn't that much of a stretch, and I also think that picking the #2 team to beat the #4 team in the championship isn't a particularly bold prediction.
    True.....

But I just happen to think that this is the year that a LSC squad finally gets past NWMSU and the MIAA, and perhaps makes the championship. Southeast plays the Southwest and Northwest plays the Northeast this year in the playoffs, so that would also mean that the LSC squad would beat that Delta team.

Leave a comment:

• HumRsky
    replied
    I was referring to your pick of GV losing to Delta State in the Championship.
    I agree with FTLT that St. Cloud beating UMD isn't that much of a stretch, and I also think that picking the #2 team to beat the #4 team in the championship isn't a particularly bold prediction.

Leave a comment:

• bigmrg74
    replied

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Any school with a five-letter acronym should be banned from NCAA competition.
    Like MIAMI??

Leave a comment:

• FadeToBlack&Gold
    replied

A Five pound bag of Sand?? A Northwest Missouri State fan would laugh at that!

NWMSU fans are the worst Sandbaggers of D2F.
    Any school with a five-letter acronym should be banned from NCAA competition.

Leave a comment:

• bigmrg74
    replied

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Looking at our schedule, I know that I predicted 8-3, but I could just as easily see 7-4, or even worse if injuries pop up (hopefully not as badly as two years ago). On that note, excuse me while I go grab my 5 lb. bag of sand.

As for QBs, supposedly our redshirt freshman Tyler Scarlett has a similar skillset to Short, but junior Ray Wojtala is older and has more reps. I'd surmise that he is the QB to start the season, and potentially loses the job to Scarlett if he isn't up to snuff. We had a similar situation with Drew Schaft and Steve Short my sophomore year, and you can see how that worked out - Short was the QB by Game 3.
    A Five pound bag of Sand?? A Northwest Missouri State fan would laugh at that!

NWMSU fans are the worst Sandbaggers of D2F.

Leave a comment:

• FadeToBlack&Gold
    replied

Replacing Short does seem to be the big issue for Tech this year. Short was a dangerous bugger back there, and last year helped to prove that.
    Looking at our schedule, I know that I predicted 8-3, but I could just as easily see 7-4, or even worse if injuries pop up (hopefully not as badly as two years ago). On that note, excuse me while I go grab my 5 lb. bag of sand.

As for QBs, supposedly our redshirt freshman Tyler Scarlett has a similar skillset to Short, but junior Ray Wojtala is older and has more reps. I'd surmise that he is the QB to start the season, and potentially loses the job to Scarlett if he isn't up to snuff. We had a similar situation with Drew Schaft and Steve Short my sophomore year, and you can see how that worked out - Short was the QB by Game 3.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X