This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Detroit Tigers, Volume 2 - The Charlie Gehringer version

And the bullpen ****s their pants yet again.
    "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

It's still early and I figure the bats will heat up and pitching will improve as the season progresses, but 12 - 12 when we were all expecting a better start.

I'm not a baseball expert by any means; but, as a fan who follows fairly closely, I'm wondering what the issues are with this current team.

Are they adjusting to the Prince Fielder on the roster, Cabrera at 3rd, rotating 2nd baseman era?

Porcello had a good outing yesterday, but what about starting pitching and the bullpen in general?

Just wondering what you guys think...
      NMU Hockey Since 1976 ...there at the beginning.

Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

Comment

The starting pitching for now gets an incomplete, pending the return of Fister. Smyly has been nothing short of amazing, but limited sample size there. Scherzer has been, uh, not good. Being diplomatic there. I'm still trying to figure out how he can let go of a baseball when his buttcheeks are above his shoulder blades shortly after release.

As for the bullpen, Benoit has been poor this season, having major control issues. Dotel has been very good. I would consider switching those two if Benoit's control does not improve soon. The long relief is going to get bombed if we use them too often (read: when Scherzer, Porcello and the Wilks of the franchise can't get out of the 3rd.) There's a reason they're long relief and not in the rotation.

Peralta has struggled a bit, and we've gotten nothing out of 2B. If Dirks goes to the DL, I don't expect much out of LF for a little bit, either.
        FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Just my opinion, but I think the short relief will be better, just based on their lifetime performances, but it is not that good right now for sure. Long relief is better than last year by quite a bit if you ask me. Jackson is playing quite a bit better, but the bottom of the batting order is terrible and basically automatic outs. same as last year. Would be good to get a legit # 2 hitter who could play 2ed base, steal some bases, etc,someone like say, Rafael Furcal, and move Boesch to 5th or 6th in the order. I think the big boppers will do better as well as the weather heats up, and starting pitching will be better when Fister comes back.
          My big issue is the bottom of the order. I don't see anyone out there who is available and can actually hit. Beating Texas will be hard, heck we can't even beat ny and the orioles are doing that pretty handily.
          MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Fister threw four scoreless in Toledo tonight. Could be back on Monday.

God, that was fun...

Comment

I think we have taken a step backward from last season, although, and hold your breath here- the Tigers were 25-25 after 50 games last season. I think some of it is the schedule and I think some of it is the cooler weather, but that is really insignificant.

What we have is what we have.

-No VMart really hurts from the standpoint of delivering a clutch running scoring hit as he often did last season.
              -Fielder is providing punch in the lineup, but not what we all thought he would. Three HR's are disappointing. He hasn't been a sieve at first, either.
              -Cabrera went through a rough stretch (like against the White Sox) but overall has come through with big hits. He has held his own at third, but his risky decision making has cost the Tigers at times.
              -Avila has been steady offensively and defensively.
              -Jackson has bounced back at the plate so far and is good for at least five sparkling plays a season
              -Boesch to me has been a disappointment. Fly balls are always an adventure, like his counterparts in LF.

-Young's selfish act will cost the lineup some offense.
              -Raburn is, in my opinion, the next fan target for his ineptness now that Inge is gone.
              -Dirks is a utility guy forced to play every day now.
              -Ditto Santiago
              -Peralta had a career year last season, but has settled back into his .260-ish average and lack of range at SS.
              -Laird has delivered exactly what he is capable of.
              -Releasing Clete Thomas was poor timing considering the Young fiasco.Makes me wonder if Don Kelly is better, but hits from the left side.
              -Releasing Inge on the other hand...
              -Bringing up the Toledo dujour player waters down an already minor league-ish lineup

From a pitching standpoint, Verlander has had some tough luck on decisions, but is still one of the best in the majors
              Losing Fister in his first start has opened the door for guys like Smyly and Wilks- with mixed results.
              Scherzer is the biggest disappointment so far. Porcello is no better or worse than in the past- brilliant one start and dogcrap the next.

The bullpen has been a disaster. What appeared to be a pretty good set of arms to hold games or close games is an adventure now. Middle relief has been adequate.

Comment

This day in Tigers' history 2011:

May 3: The Tigers snapped their seven-game losing streak as Scott Sizemore, just recalled from the minors, went 3-for-4 with an RBI to help the Tigers to a 4-2 win over the Yankees.

Scott Sizemore (now with the A's) out for 2012 season.
                Last edited by aygwm2; 05-03-2012, 07:22 PM.
                NMU Hockey Since 1976 ...there at the beginning.

Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

Comment

I'm not going to panic yet. I figured we'd be just above .500 at the end of April. I did not figure we'd get swept by Seattle. I also did not figure we would lose Fister for the better part of a month, either.

Now. If we're still at .500 after May, we're in trouble.

God, that was fun...

Comment

And this is the first time Smyly has given up more than 1 earned run in a start.

2-2, top 6

God, that was fun...

Comment

6 IP, just under 100 pitches, 2 runs allowed. I'd make that the end of the night for Smyly.

Why on earth do people still think it's a good idea to employ Eli Zaret? What has he done in the last 20 years? I'd rather see Bill Bonds do commercials, crocked off his *** or otherwise.

God, that was fun...

Comment

And there's the first two runs given up by Dotel this year.

4-2 CWS.

On that note, we move on to Volume 3.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Working...
                        X