X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Detroit Tigers, Volume 2 - The Charlie Gehringer version

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
    Someone's going to have to bring out the old "blown saves" counter for the bullpen this year (even if today wasn't one). We're going to need it.
    Did not see or listen to the game, but it looks like things fell apart in the ninth.

And Fernando Rodney gets the save for the Rays.
    NMU Hockey Since 1976 ...there at the beginning.

Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

Comment

Someone's going to have to bring out the old "blown saves" counter for the bullpen this year (even if today wasn't one). We're going to need it.
      This one goes on Leyland in my opinion. He overmanaged the 9th inning and is trying too hard to be like Sparky.

Comment

Here is where I think Leyland ****ed up.

He left Verlander in about 2 batters too long. Yes, Verlander should have been allowed to start the 9th. His pitch count was better than economical. But he should not have been allowed to be put in a position to take the loss. Meaning, once the first two runners reached base, I would have gone and got Verlander and went to Valverde. I would not have even screwed around with Schlereth, who I am on record as saying that he does not belong in Detroit. I would have brought Valverde in with 2 on and 1 out.

Instead, Valverde comes in with a 2-2 game and the bases loaded. That's a no-win situation. I hold him harmless. This game was lost before he entered the game, regardless of score. No, this one rests squarely on Leyland's mis-management of the 9th inning, with an assist to Schlereth's chronic inability to find the strike zone.
        FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Oh, and Clete Thomas was DFA'd to make room for the addition of Drew Smyly to the 40-man roster.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Valverde pretty much needs an open base when he comes in even if he's on his game.
            "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
              I would not have even screwed around with Schlereth, who...does not belong in Detroit.
              Agreed...
              NMU Hockey Since 1976 ...there at the beginning.

Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

Comment

Valverde pretty much needs an open base when he comes in even if he's on his game.
                I don't like bringing in any pitcher with the bases loaded in a situation like that. That's the equivalent of putting a gun to his head, especially with 0-1 outs.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                  Here is where I think Leyland ****ed up.

He left Verlander in about 2 batters too long. Yes, Verlander should have been allowed to start the 9th. His pitch count was better than economical. But he should not have been allowed to be put in a position to take the loss. Meaning, once the first two runners reached base, I would have gone and got Verlander and went to Valverde. I would not have even screwed around with Schlereth, who I am on record as saying that he does not belong in Detroit. I would have brought Valverde in with 2 on and 1 out.

Instead, Valverde comes in with a 2-2 game and the bases loaded. That's a no-win situation. I hold him harmless. This game was lost before he entered the game, regardless of score. No, this one rests squarely on Leyland's mis-management of the 9th inning, with an assist to Schlereth's chronic inability to find the strike zone.
                  Thank you and yes. I am with you on that strategy completely.

Comment

Down to 156!
                    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Whoever did ESPN's ScoreCenter app is on crack.

It counted Longoria's hit for their second run twice, and told me Alex Avila scored on a wild pitch from Jhonny Peralta.
                      Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

This team is doomed. Our starters are 0-1 this year.
                        "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Comment

Yeah, there's no way we keep up this 135 win pace!

Comment

• Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
                            Whoever did ESPN's ScoreCenter app is on crack.

It counted Longoria's hit for their second run twice, and told me Alex Avila scored on a wild pitch from Jhonny Peralta.
                            The rays do have a Joel Peralta. I know it confused me while watching the game cast

Comment

Hey, Inge is coming back! I knew we didn't have enough check swing strikeouts in the homestand.

Comment

Originally posted by Gopha23 View Post
                                The rays do have a Joel Peralta. I know it confused me while watching the game cast
                                That would probably be it - all it said was J. Peralta.
                                Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Working...
                                X