Clear All

• Re: Detroit Tigers, Volume 2 - The Charlie Gehringer version

Lynn Henning is a tool:

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...ot-Jack-Morris

While Tom Gage is not:
    http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...gains-momentum

Comment

So, we're just re-establishing what we already know. Yep.

It's going to be close for Morris, as he's only got a couple years left before the Veterans Committee. Trammell's got a couple years more, but he's got a long way to go. It amazes me that people think Barry Larkin is a lock while they still hem and haw about Trammell. The excuse is that Larkin was overshadowed by Ozzie Smith, who for much of his career couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat. I guess Trammell playing at the same time Cal ****ing Ripken and Robin Freaking Yount (2 MVPs each) is nothing more than a figment of my imagination.

I think one way or another, they're both getting in, whether by conventional election, or by the Veterans Committee. I don't think the VC is going to wait too long to put them in, although I do think they made a colossal error in waiting as long as they did for Ron Santo.
      Last edited by Hammer; 01-07-2012, 11:57 AM.
      FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

A few things here.

Morris got 66.7% of the vote this year, his 13th on the ballot. Next year's class essentially consists of Bonds, Clemens, Biggio, Piazza, Schilling, and Sosa (and I think I'm missing one more). Biggio appears to be a near-lock, but the rest of them are likely to create the mother of all firestorms when it comes to the HOF. The year after? Maddux and Glavine, both mortal locks. It is my belief that although Jack Morris has two years left of HOF eligibility, next year is really do-or-die for his candidacy, as he's not going to get votes with both Maddux and Glavine sitting there. It's going to be close, but the steroid argument surrounding Bonds, Clemens, and company just might help Morris and push him over the top. I'm guessing that next year, Jack Morris gets the call.

Alan Trammell is Veterans' Committee bound, IMO. He got 36.8% this year, his 11th. He's got four years to more than double his vote total. I think he gets a VC nod, but he better pack a big lunch, because it's going to be a while for him.

Now. For the issue immediately in front of us. The Tigers and the Cubs appear to be deep into talks regarding one Matt Garza. Sounds good, he would fill our rotation nicely. But here's the problem. The bidding apparently starts at Jacob Turner and another prospect (the Cubs allegedly want Nick Castellanos, but I think by now Dombrowski has told Theo to go jump in Lake Michigan). Are we willing to give up our top pitching prospect plus another to make this trade? The team that gets Garza will have control over him for the next two seasons.

Thoughts?
        Last edited by Hammer; 01-10-2012, 07:27 PM.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Morris is not only getting screwed for his attitude towards the press, but also for the pinhead scrutiny on his numbers. He'd already be in if he wore Yankee pinstripes, which is why he'll get shortsheeted by Clemens and Biggio next year.

Trammell will be in a walker before he is elected. What a travesty. Neither one of these guys deserve that treatment and for the most part were decent citizens and good teammates. I thought after 1984 we'd win another with this nucleus including Whitaker... maybe that is why they are also getting snubbed.

As far as Dombrowski.... if he trades our future for that nominal POS in Chicago... I'll lobby hard for his sacking. Hell, even Penney won 10 games last season. Go find another deal someplace else. JMHO.

Comment

Can Cespedes hurry up and get citizenship already??? I want to see him in the Olde English D!!!
            Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Zumaya signs with the Twins. So, the good news is that when his arm explodes, there's only a 10% or so chance we'll be watching instead of 75% or greater.
              "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Even better news: VMart lost for the season due to an ACL tear.

Comment

Well, that's why we got Laird back.
                  "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
                    Even better news: VMart lost for the season due to an ACL tear.
                    Say it with me...
                    Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

This is why we can't have nice things.

Maybe DD should give Carlita a look after all

Comment

Prince for DH!

But really, who will we put in/sign to fill that spot?
                        Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

* it. Go bring Magglio back. Or maybe 1 year, $20 mil for Fielder. And yes, I'm serious.

Cespedes looks like less of an option after his comments late last week.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                            Or maybe 1 year, $20 mil for Fielder. And yes, I'm serious.
                            Given your usual level of sarcasm, I thought you meant Cecil for a second.
                            Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Right now I'd rather have Cecil be the back-up catcher over Gump Laird.

We better do something. Apparently we re-signed Delmon for a year. Maybe we go get an outfielder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=f6-aI_C6k5s#!

The above link is NOT. SAFE. FOR. WORK. You have been duly forewarned.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Um.....WOW
                                Originally posted by dicaslover
                                Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                                Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Working...
                                X