8. Alex Avila, C
    9. Ramon Santiago, 2B

Justin Verlander, SP
    FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

• Re: Detroit Tigers, Volume 2 - The Charlie Gehringer version

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
      Keep in mind we ate $13 million for 2 year's worth of Damian Easley's salary a few years ago, and we paid about that much for Gary Sheffield to stay home as well. Dave Dombrowski has shown that he is clearly not afraid to cut a player and deal with the dead money.

As for season predictions, this team clearly has deficiencies. The defense in general is below average, and both Verlander and Fister will have drop-offs from last year's performances. I do think Porcello and Scherzer will take a step forward, and the 5th starter will be a wash. I do not expect Peralta (and Avila, for that matter) to have the year he did last year, but that will be more than offset by having Delmon, Cabrera and Fielder in the heart of the order, assuming everyone stays reasonably healthy and Cabrera can prevent baseballs from bouncing off of his eye sockets on a regular basis.

Regarding the rest of the division, I think the Tigers win this by default. Cleveland gave away two starters that would have helped them in the near future, and I'm not sold that Ubaldo's elbow is healthy. I would have said that Kansas City, of all teams, could have finished 2nd, but Soria just had Tommy John, and I think they're still short on starting pitching. However, they're closer to contending than we all think. Minnesota will be improved, but that may only mean 75 wins. Chicago will finish last this year. Predicted order of finish:

Detroit
      Cleveland
      Kansas City
      Minnesota
      Chicago

94-88, we win the division by 8-12 games. Pray for Mike Ilitch's health, because this franchise is likely headed straight to hell on a rocket sled when he passes.
      I think you mean 94-68, although it may take 182 games to win 94 this season, IMO.

Can't argue with your logic as far as the division. I think, by looking at the schedule, the Tigers will get tested right out of the gate in April, with 9 games against the Eastern division (Boston-(3) only home games this season w/ 7! at Fenway later and Tampa (3) at home and NY (3) on the road) and 7 games against the western division (Texas, Seattle-all at home) and 7 games against the central, (CWS/KC- 6A 1 H since the other 2 games of that series vs. KC fall into May). No Ozzie this year, so you can't count on the pale hose cocking up games based on that. I also think KC is a pain the rear and could prove to be better than you think. That team can rake. I hate Cleveland just because and I think Minnesota will also surprise you because of their manager.

That's 23 games folks- 14 at CoPa and 9 away-with the weather probably cancelling some of them out- let's say they go 13-8 in April. Would that satisfy anyone here?

Comment

I blame that one squarely on tax season.

If we go any better than 13-8 in April, we might run away and hide with a 15-game lead by the All Star break. If this team struggles at all, people are going to go ape****. Those people should be beaten with a shovel. If we're a few games above .500 a month from now, we're just fine. As long as we don't start out 2-12 or something heinous like that, I still think we're fine.

As for the division:
        Chicago just doesn't have much talent and not much in the farm system.

Minnesota has a long way to go to get back to where they were. They're not losing 99 again, but I don't see them touching 85 wins, either.

Cleveland has too many question marks and injuries to take them seriously. They completely face-planted after a 30-15 start last year, and anyone that thinks Sizemore and Hafner are going to be healthy and contribute are drinking the same paint thinner I was when I did my little math problem you pointed out.

Kansas City is getting good quick, fast, and in a hurry, but Soria is out for the season, and they're counting on too much young starting pitching this season. I don't think it's going to happen, but I wouldn't be overly shocked to see them finish 2nd this year. 2013 may very well be a completely different matter for them.

Oh, and get ready for a lot of long games with this team. I mean 3:30-4:00 games.
        Last edited by Hammer; 04-04-2012, 07:56 PM.

God, that was fun...

Comment

I blame that one squarely on tax season.

If we go any better than 13-8 in April, we might run away and hide with a 15-game lead by the All Star break. If this team struggles at all, people are going to go ape****. Those people should be beaten with a shovel. If we're a few games above .500 a month from now, we're just fine. As long as we don't start out 2-12 or something heinous like that, I still think we're fine.

As for the division:
          Chicago just doesn't have much talent and not much in the farm system.

Minnesota has a long way to go to get back to where they were. They're not losing 99 again, but I don't see them touching 85 wins, either.

Cleveland has too many question marks and injuries to take them seriously. They completely face-planted after a 30-15 start last year, and anyone that thinks Sizemore and Hafner are going to be healthy and contribute are drinking the same paint thinner I was when I did my little math problem you pointed out.

Kansas City is getting good quick, fast, and in a hurry, but Soria is out for the season, and they're counting on too much young starting pitching this season. I don't think it's going to happen, but I wouldn't be overly shocked to see them finish 2nd this year. 2013 may very well be a completely different matter for them.

Oh, and get ready for a lot of long games with this team. I mean 3:30-4:00 games.
          Tax season has its place in He^^.

As far as that shovel, let me have it when you're done. I'll do the burying if you do the hitting.

I'll preface my comments below with this: if the team stays healthy, they could match last season's 95 wins. I suspect that we will no doubt have some concerns, especially with defense and at times, pitching. I am hoping that the lineup contributes offensively other than the boppers. Either way- with 88 wins or more, they should win the division. It's time to take the next step, though, considering our ace is in his prime. Losing VMart is a bigger blow than some people think, though.

Comment

Boston @ Detroit in Game 1 is underway!

Break a leg Delmon! No really.
            PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
            Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
            NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

I miss Prince from the Brewers, but boy am I glad he landed in Detroit. Batting 1.000 so far, and was NOT the cause of a double play (yet).
              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Way to go, Big Potato. Blown save...
                NMU Hockey Since 1976 ...there at the beginning.

Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

Comment

Thank you Austin Jackson! Tigers 3 : 2 BoSox

Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

Comment

But you won anyway. Nice game.
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by aygwm2 View Post
                      Way to go, Big Potato. Blown save...
                      Remember I said it first: "And let's get the blown save out of the way early for the Big Taco so he can resume being a decent closer."

Torques me off that he wins and JV doesn't, but a win is a win.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
                        ditto, I'm ****ed that "the fat JV" gets credit for the W, that number could mean something in the record books by the end of this year. I mean, 8 shutout innings for no decision? sucks.
                        Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                        USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
                          Agreed...

Comment

Terry Foster needs to go back to writing stories about how he's trying to stop being a fatass

For the record, I have no problem with Leyland's move bringing in Valverde. If we don't hit into about 37 double plays this isn't even an issue. I suspect that problem will take care of itself shortly as well.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Terry Foster needs to go back to writing stories about how he's trying to stop being a fatass

For the record, I have no problem with Leyland's move bringing in Valverde. If we don't hit into about 37 double plays this isn't even an issue. I suspect that problem will take care of itself shortly as well.
                              totally agree.
                              MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

The Tigers are one Bruce Chen start away from a full game lead on everyone else in the division.
                                Originally posted by dicaslover
                                Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                                Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Working...
                                X