This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Detroit Tigers, Volume 2 - The Charlie Gehringer version

Just saw a couple of games in Lakeland. When I first got there the big dogs were all taking BP. Cabrera, Boesch, Young, and Fielder all at once. That was very impressive.Dirks came up and he is 6 ft tall but looked like a dwarf.
    Tigers do look good. Cabrera had several balls hit to him at third. He fielded all of them and had trouble getting the ball out of his glove to throw. No errors though. I think he will make the routine play but the exceptional play, no. Kelly made two exceptional plays, one at third and one at first. He was impressive. and so was Patterson, with two homers off Roy halliday, also Pilkonen was very impressive. He threw no slower than 96 and threw strikes. Reminded me of verlander a lot in his motion and way he throws. On the other hand, pauley was terrible and might not make the club. Quinten Berry got picked off but the ump missed the call. He was good, but I think he will be in Toledo. Inge was good. played second well and hit well against both righty's and lefty's. Fielder did not have a hit in either game, but man, he swung harrrrd.! There were a bunch of MTU students sitting in front of me on friday. they were well behaved and classy, as opposed to typically drunk.None of them had been to a hockey game all year. Not impressed with castellanos, strieby or anyone else really.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

David Pauley was released today. Not a big surprise, just a little stunned by the timing. Guys like that aren't generally released this early in camp, even though he was having big problems. Even in spring training, a 16.87 ERA is not good, even if it is over just 2 2/3 innings.

Still a relatively quiet camp, with the same issues: 2B, finding out what position Brandon Inge is going to be performing his check-swing strikeout act, #5 starter, last guy in the bullpen.

Oh, and Gump Laird was DH'ing today. We really need to find ourselves a backup catcher sometime soon.
      FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
        David Pauley was released today. Not a big surprise, just a little stunned by the timing. Guys like that aren't generally released this early in camp, even though he was having big problems. Even in spring training, a 16.87 ERA is not good, even if it is over just 2 2/3 innings.

Still a relatively quiet camp, with the same issues: 2B, finding out what position Brandon Inge is going to be performing his check-swing strikeout act, #5 starter, last guy in the bullpen.

Oh, and Gump Laird was DH'ing today. We really need to find ourselves a backup catcher sometime soon.
        well at least laird can receive well, even if he can't hit. Pauley might have been released early to let him try to catch on elsewhere. If they wait, he might be out of options. I like how Rayburn is doing and I think he is making slow steady progress on being a real asset. I'd be surprised if they kept inge after his contract is up, but to tell the truth, he looked good.
        What I'm excited about is next year. Martinez back in the order, Turner a starter, and no else too old.

Comment

Jacob Turner may be going through dead-arm period

Young arm, velocity down.....I don't like anything I read there. Not one bit.

115 IP in his first minor league season. 131 last year plus 12 more in Detroit for a total of 143. It doesn't look like they over-used him, at least not on first glance.
          Last edited by Hammer; 03-13-2012, 05:30 PM.

God, that was fun...

Comment

pitching could be an issue. Valverde has not been good in any outing, scherzer was only fair last week and let in 3 runs on two innings today.

could be we will be looking for pitching on two months.

Comment

Miggy got his face busted open by a hot shot to 3rd today. The pic in the Detroit News was not pretty. Let the 3B speculation continue, now at a faster pace.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Cabrera is cleared to resume playing. He will be back on Thursday. Crisis averted.

Also, a bar is going to keep selling Marlboro Jimmy t-shirts

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                  Cabrera is cleared to resume playing. He will be back on Thursday. Crisis averted.

Also, a bar is going to keep selling Marlboro Jimmy t-shirts
                  Smoke Smoke Smoke that Cigarette
                  NMU Hockey Since 1976 ...there at the beginning.

Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

Comment

I am wondering where, based on his spring, rayburn is going to play. I don't see how you can keep his bat out and there are two possibilities it seems to me.He could play left field where he would be a marginal improvement over young, or second where he would be a bigger bat but not as good in the field as inge. With my track record he will start on the bench.

Comment

I think it's a coin flip that Inge is even headed to Detroit. I think we're looking at Santiago at 2B, Young in LF, with Raburn trying to play both positions on roller skates.

Raburn's got issues. He's never been a consistent hitter over a full season, and he's below average defensively. That and we've got Danny Worth acting like he's finally ready, and he knows what a glove is for.

In less than a week, the lights go on for real.
                      Last edited by Hammer; 03-27-2012, 07:08 PM.

God, that was fun...

Comment

My WAG on the Opening Day Roster, barring injuries or trades:

SP: Verlander-Fister-Scherzer-Porcello-Smyly
                        BP: Valverde-Benoit-Dotel-Ballester-Below-Coke-Villareal

C: Avila, Gump
                        IF: Fielder, Santiago, Raburn, Peralta, Cabrera, Kelly, Worth
                        OF: Young, Dirks, Jackson, Boesch

Some thoughts:

Don Kelly gives them an extra option in the outfield, as does Raburn (gulp). With those two on board, another true outfield is not needed, so.....

Clete Thomas is out of options, and is thusly exposed to the waiver wire. He is also no longer a Tiger come Opening Day.

Brandon Inge's career is finished. No bat, no roster spot. It's over.

We still need a backup catcher. You think I was going to let that go?
                        Last edited by Hammer; 03-27-2012, 08:11 PM.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Oh no. Inge is coming to Detroit. Today they backed off the "he has to hit to make the team" and now are saying "there's more to our decision on him then his batting average."

If he's on the roster, we will lose at least three games where Leyland goes full stupid and brings him in as a defensive replacement for Cabrera with a one run lead and when the lead is blown, we'll get to watch him blunder through check swings in extra innings while Cabrera debates re-starting his drinking habit in the clubhouse watching his inept replacement.
                          "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Sure. But Inge is now hitting .159 this spring, and he's going to be 35 in May. This is after a .197 season where he slugged a whopping .283. He also no longer has a position, and is competing with two other guys that can also play more positions, and are much younger (Kelly and Worth).

I should know better by now, but I think this really could be it for him. This might be the time where there's too much smoke for there not to be a fire.
                            Last edited by Hammer; 03-27-2012, 10:16 PM.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Tigers are on FSD as I type this. Homer Light is ready, since it's almost time to get our toys out. Scherzer ran into trouble in the 6th and did not finish the inning. I'm going to get my first look at Collin Balester.

Andy Oliver was sent to Toledo this morning. The #5 spot is down to Below and Smyly. I still think they both come north.

God, that was fun...

Comment

And Inge GIDPs to end the game. Fitting.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Working...
                                X