X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Detroit Tigers, Volume 2 - The Charlie Gehringer version

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
    Young has a better, more accurate arm, but after watching him near-daily for the better part of three years, I still have a panic attack any time the ball is hit to right field with Delmon back there.

I actually like the way Detroit matches up with Texas. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like Detroit has put up some huge offensive numbers against them, especially at home, in recent years.

I didn't think the announcing was that terrible. If you're going to say that every time they said the Yankees were good was gushing and every time they said the Tigers were good was a jinx, don't you think you're maybe searching for a bias? Ron Darling's familiarity with the Yankees was probably ten times what it was for the Tigers, but I actually thought John Smoltz was pretty good on color.
    I didn't have an issue with either Smoltz or Darling. It was the idiot pbp guy. Both of the former MLB players were dead on, almost prophetic at times. I got tired of the pandering for drama (which was more skewed to the Yanks.) I thought that the Tigers weathered the Yanks as much as we had to weather the cliches.

Comment

It will be interesting to see how the rotation shakes out. They might have to start Porcello twice...

Game 1 Saturday--Verlander
      Game 2 Sunday--Porcello (Fister & Scherzer both pitched Thursday; Scherzer on short rest)
      Monday off
      Game 3 Tuesday--Fister
      Game 4 Wednesday--Scherzer (or Verlander on short rest?)
      Game 5 Thursday--Verlander (or Scherzer)
      Friday off
      Game 6 Saturday--Porcello (or Fister on short rest?)
      Game 7 Sunday--Fister (or Scherzer/Verlander on short rest?)

Leyland doesn't like starting pitchers on short rest, and I think he's right about that, but if you don't shorten somebody's rotation, your #4 starter (Porcello) ends up pitching 2 games on the road.

"The game of hockey, though much in vogue on the ice in New England and other parts of the United States, is not much known here."

--The Montreal Gazette, March 4, 1875.

Comment

Originally posted by Alton View Post
        It will be interesting to see how the rotation shakes out.
        You're right, it's an interesting problem. Scherzer only threw 32 pitches Thursday (while Fister threw 90-something and left everything out there), is it possible he starts on Sunday? I would be tempted to go with 3 starters and give JV potentially 3 games. But Leyland won't.

Just looking through the schedule (facts not guaranteed); the Tigers haven't seen TX since early August. Wins over TX were started by Penny (won by Valverde), Scherzer (won by Valverde), Scherzer, Porcello, Scherzer (won by Benoit), and Fister. Losses to TX were started by Verlander, Coke, and Penny. Tigers have done well against them this season.
        Last edited by geezer; 10-07-2011, 03:31 PM.
        Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
        USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Figures. It's the first time today that my broadband has wanted to cooperate.

Originally posted by MUhawks628 View Post
          I'm still trying to figure out why brining in Chocolate Cake for his first ever relif appearence was a "great" idea, but when Leyland brought in Scherzer they questioned it because it was his first bullpen appearence since 2008. Listened to half the series on mute, it was very good for the blood pressure.
          I'll tell you why CC was in the game. There wasn't going to be a Game 6. If you're saving him for the ALCS, you gotta remember one thing: you might want to get there first. Casey Stengel said it best in the 1950's, when asked about using a starter on short rest, if the arm might be tired: "maybe, but he's got all winter to rest up".
          FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Verlander, Scherzer, Fister, and Porcello is the rotation for the first four games.
            Originally posted by dicaslover
            Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
            Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Games 4 and 5 are 4:19 starts at Comerica Park. Everything else is either 7:45 or 8:05 pm.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                Figures. It's the first time today that my broadband has wanted to cooperate.

I'll tell you why CC was in the game. There wasn't going to be a Game 6. If you're saving him for the ALCS, you gotta remember one thing: you might want to get there first. Casey Stengel said it best in the 1950's, when asked about using a starter on short rest, if the arm might be tired: "maybe, but he's got all winter to rest up".
                Didn't Stengel coach last place teams?

I disagree about using a guy on short rest. He was the only arm (outside of the starter) that we got to. I thought Girardi over managed and could have used his other guys (Hughes etc.) longer. We weren't touching them. I don't know if I am buying his excuse for yanking Nova, either. He danced around A-roid's slump the whole series- why would he come clean now? If he felt he needed a guy to come in late to prevent any more runs, why not use Rivera? He pitched, what- 1 inning the whole series?

That may be the last time you see some of those Yanks in pinstripes, too.

Comment

• Originally posted by streaker View Post
                  Didn't Stengel coach last place teams?

I disagree about using a guy on short rest. He was the only arm (outside of the starter) that we got to. I thought Girardi over managed and could have used his other guys (Hughes etc.) longer. We weren't touching them. I don't know if I am buying his excuse for yanking Nova, either. He danced around A-roid's slump the whole series- why would he come clean now? If he felt he needed a guy to come in late to prevent any more runs, why not use Rivera? He pitched, what- 1 inning the whole series?

That may be the last time you see some of those Yanks in pinstripes, too.
                  I definitely feel he made a couple too many trips to the mound, but that's why he gets paid the big bucks. I felt that any time a pitcher walked a guy or gave up a hit it was like Girardi got to be a nervous wreck and yanked them.

I have no idea what to say about Arod other than he better do some soul searching this winter and decide to earn his paycheck next season. Atrocious year from him, even taking into account the injuries and whatnot.

I hope they bring posada back but he may be the old horse in a full stable. Montero showed LOTS of promise at the end of the season, and I could see him coming in and playing a DH role possibly and mixing in some time behind the plate with Martin and Cervelli. I think Romine will head back to AAA ball for atleast another year, or may become trade bait. I will say I feel pretty comfortable with the youth this team has, and they MAY not need to go out and bag every high profile free agent in the next few years. Not saying they won't, but they might be able to actually use more home grown talent than store bought.

Comment

Delmon is off the ALCS roster, with Danny Worth taking his spot.

Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Comment

Jackson, Raburn, Cabrera, Martinez, Ordonez, Avila, Peralta, Santiago, Inge is the lineup tonight. Verlander on the hill.

Comment

That's trouble. We needed him in the lineup at least to keep Texas from pitching around Miggy and Martinez. This is where losing Boesch really hurts, too.

Comment

• Rain delay. Rangers up 3-0 in the fifth.
                          bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

More rain...only down one now.
                            Let's Go Broncos!

Comment

Is Andy Dirks on the side of a milk carton somewhere?

God, that was fun...

Comment

hasnt' it spent about the last 6 years not EVER raining in texas? whats up with that?
                                Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                                USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Working...
                                X