X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LynahFan
    replied
    Re: Forbes Magazine's Top 650 Colleges

It's rather stupid to factor cost (student debt) into the rankings. If my car goes 0-60 in 5 seconds and yours does it in 4.8, yours is still a "better" car than mine even if it costs twice as much. At the edges, there will *always* be diminishing returns for increased cost - squeezing out that last 2% of performance can incur 20% (or more) of the cost.

Leave a comment:

• Scarlet
    replied

Originally posted by CLS View Post
    Apparently, Northeastern was hurt by the fact that one of the factors was % of students that graduate in four years. Well duh. What's the percentage of the student body that's in the co-op program, which they know going in is probably more than a four year program for most of them?
    Northeastern takes offense to ranking.

Leave a comment:

• MountieBoyOz
    replied

More evidence that Clarkson pwns RPI.

Leave a comment:

• CLS
    replied

Originally posted by Dude Love View Post
    534 - Northeastern
    Apparently, Northeastern was hurt by the fact that one of the factors was % of students that graduate in four years. Well duh. What's the percentage of the student body that's in the co-op program, which they know going in is probably more than a four year program for most of them?

Leave a comment:

• French Rage
    replied

Originally posted by Dude Love View Post
    31 - Colorado College
    37 - Colgate
    51 - Cornell
    ...aaaaaand you lost me. :P

Leave a comment:

• MinnesotaNorthStar
    replied
    Originally posted by MUhawks628 View Post
    Wipedia is always accurate right???
    Only if it helps whatever argument you're trying to make. If not, just make it up, facts are optional on USCHO.

Leave a comment:

• MUhawks628
    replied

Wipedia is always accurate right???

In 2008, Forbes.com began publishing an annual list of "America's Best Colleges...They were criticized due to reliance on subjective sources (50% of the rankings depend on Who's Who in America and ratemyprofessor.com)[97] as well as for the lower rankings of many nationally recognized institutions, including Ivy League schools

Leave a comment:

• 5mn_Major
    replied

Don't know how I feel about that ranking system. If the outcome is Michigan at 93 and Wisconsin at 316, it doesn't smell right.

I'm guessing there's serious penalization for allowing rank and file students into the school. A small school outstate can be more selective in its admissions. A large school Minnesota Twin Cities educates half of the metro area.

In the end, if instead you measure by opportunity...I think you've got to give it to the larger schools. Large schools give you more substantial facilities, a larger number of associations, and more massive connections to other organizations. The point is if you're looking for a school to deliver you something on a silver platter this is a good ranking...if you're opportunistic, you're better off finding schools that offer greater potential of what it can be than Weber State.

Leave a comment:

• bigblue_dl
    replied

Fair enough, and if you were using data from actual professor evaluations that would be a fantastic data point - but ratemyprofessors on average has what, 10-15 (very generous) reviews for a professor over a 3-4 year span. I don't know that you can call that the "student body state of mind".

At least at Miami it tends to be that most people stop using the site after a few semesters. Word of mouth was always much better way to go about course selection. The impression I've gotten from friends at different schools is that this is the case in many other places as well.
    Yep, I don't think I looked at ratemyprofessors during my last 2 years at school. I never actually rated any professors in my early years.

Leave a comment:

• MUhawks628
    replied

Originally posted by Patman View Post
    Certainly could be a metric for student apathy... even if the kids are stupid in their assessment it certainly sets the atmosphere of the institution.

When I started at Lowell people were trying to find ways to get out... when I left people liked their university. RMP wasn't around during much of that time... but i find it completely fair to rank schools by student body state of mind.
    Fair enough, and if you were using data from actual professor evaluations that would be a fantastic data point - but ratemyprofessors on average has what, 10-15 (very generous) reviews for a professor over a 3-4 year span. I don't know that you can call that the "student body state of mind".

At least at Miami it tends to be that most people stop using the site after a few semesters. Word of mouth was always much better way to go about course selection. The impression I've gotten from friends at different schools is that this is the case in many other places as well.

Leave a comment:

• Patman
    replied

I can't recall but wasn't it Forbes that uses ratemyprofessors.com as their metric for teaching quality. Very scientific.
    Certainly could be a metric for student apathy... even if the kids are stupid in their assessment it certainly sets the atmosphere of the institution.

When I started at Lowell people were trying to find ways to get out... when I left people liked their university. RMP wasn't around during much of that time... but i find it completely fair to rank schools by student body state of mind.

Leave a comment:

• MUhawks628
    replied

I can't recall but wasn't it Forbes that uses ratemyprofessors.com as their metric for teaching quality. Very scientific.

I used to have a really good explanation when I was a tour guide as to why Miami was 200 spots lower in Forbes than every other ranking list, it would have been frowned upon to say that it was because our financial aid department is one of the worst in the country
    Last edited by MUhawks628; 08-05-2011, 08:54 AM.

Leave a comment:

• St. Clown
    replied

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
    There are either a LOT more colleges in the US than I'm aware of or my alma mater is shockingly mediocre according to this list. What was their criteria?
    http://blogs.forbes.com/michaelnoer/...-top-colleges/

Our annual ranking of the 650 best undergraduate institutions focuses on the things that matter the most to students: quality of teaching, great career prospects, graduation rates and low levels of debt. Unlike other lists, we pointedly ignore ephemeral measures such as school “reputation” and ill-conceived metrics that reward wasteful spending. We try and evaluate the college purchase as a consumer would: Is it worth spending as much as a quarter of a million dollars for this degree? The rankings are prepared exclusively for Forbes by the Center for College Affordability and Productivity, a Washington, D.C. think tank founded by Ohio University economist Richard Vedder.
    And later on you read:
    The rankings are based on five general categories: Post Graduate success (30%), which evaluates alumni pay and prominence, Student Satisfaction (27.5%), which includes professor evaluations and freshman to sophomore year retention rates, Debt (17.5%), which penalizes schools for high student debt loads and default rates, Four Year Graduation Rate (17.5%) and Competitive Awards (7.5%), which rewards schools whose students win prestigious scholarships and fellowships like the Rhodes, the Marshall and the Fulbright. The complete methodology is available below and in .pdf format here.
    When reading last year's announcement, they mentioned that there were over 5,000 undergrad schools in the country, probably over 6,000 since they said that making the bottom of their list puts the school in the top 10% of all undergrad schools in the nation.
    Last edited by St. Clown; 08-04-2011, 11:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Patman
    replied

Is that FOUR big 12 schools I see BEHIND Merrimack.

I apologize for UML's low rankings... but you can't quite fit all of south campus onto an ice floe.
    Last edited by Patman; 08-04-2011, 11:05 PM. Reason: need to keep conference names consistent with size

Leave a comment:

• Dude Love
    replied

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
    Not that my school should be top 10 or anything, but wasn't this list discredited by Red Cloud in the awesome thread(s) that was/were the SCSU/ Union "discussion"?
    Probably. I just thought it'd be fun to see where everyone was ranked.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X