Forbes Magazine's Top 650 Colleges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forbes Magazine's Top 650 Colleges

I went through this whole list and found all the D1 hockey schools that made it. Counting Penn State, 49 of the 59 made the list.

2- Princeton
    3 - Army
    6 - Harvard
    10 - Air Force
    14 - Yale
    18 - Notre Dame
    21 - Brown
    26 - Boston College
    27 - Holy Cross
    29 - Union
    30 - Dartmouth
    31 - Colorado College
    37 - Colgate
    51 - Cornell
    64 - St. Lawrence
    82 - Boston University
    93 - Michigan
    156 - Providence
    182 - Penn State
    187 - Denver
    210 - UConn
    244 - Quinnipiac
    247 - Vermont
    274 - Merrimack
    278 - Miami
    280 - New Hampshire
    281 - Bentley
    283 - Ohio State
    306 - Minnesota
    314 - UMass
    316 - Wisconsin
    349 - Michigan State
    366 - Clarkson
    370 - RPI
    374 - Alaska
    413 - Canisius
    420 - UMass-Lowell
    437 - Alabama-Huntsville
    481 - Bowling Green
    508 - Michigan Tech
    509 - Maine
    533 - Nebraska-Omaha
    534 - Northeastern
    568 - RIT
    589 - North Dakota
    596 - Alaska-Anchorage
    599 - MSU Mankato
    619 - St. Cloud State
    645 - Western Michigan

And a BIIIIG "suck it" to Ferris State, Lake Superior State, Northern Michigan, American International, Mercyhurst, Niagara, Robert Morris, Sacred Heart, Bemidji State, and good ol' Minnesota-Duluth.
    Last edited by Dude Love; 08-04-2011, 10:49 PM.
    St. Cloud, Minnesota: You could do worse...

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you're surrounded by turkeys.

The 2009 Poser of the Year

Re: Forbes Magazine's Top 650 Colleges

We've moved up. Last year were something like 648 or 649. The only reason I knew that was because I came across the list, joking with my coworker that the only way SCSU would make would be at the end. And there we were. Still, out of the 5000+ schools in this country, that's not all bad.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Clearly the only one that matters is #29 Onion.

Comment

Originally posted by Dude Love View Post
        I went through this whole list and found all the D1 hockey schools that made it. Counting Penn State, 49 of the 59 made the list.

2- Princeton
        3 - Army
        6 - Harvard
        10 - Air Force
        14 - Yale
        18 - Notre Dame
        21 - Brown
        26 - Boston College
        27 - Holy Cross
        29 - Union
        30 - Dartmouth
        31 - Colorado College
        37 - Colgate
        51 - Cornell
        64 - St. Lawrence
        82 - Boston University
        93 - Michigan
        156 - Providence
        182 - Penn State
        187 - Denver
        210 - UConn
        244 - Quinnipiac
        247 - Vermont
        274 - Merrimack
        278 - Miami
        281 - Bentley
        283 - Ohio State
        306 - Minnesota
        314 - UMass
        316 - Wisconsin
        349 - Michigan State
        366 - Clarkson
        370 - RPI
        374 - Alaska
        413 - Canisius
        420 - UMass-Lowell
        437 - Alabama-Huntsville
        481 - Bowling Green
        508 - Michigan Tech
        509 - Maine
        533 - Nebraska-Omaha
        534 - Northeastern
        568 - RIT
        589 - North Dakota
        596 - Alaska-Anchorage
        599 - MSU Mankato
        619 - St. Cloud State
        645 - Western Michigan

And a BIIIIG "suck it" to Ferris State, Lake Superior State, Northern Michigan, American International, Mercyhurst, Niagara, Robert Morris, Sacred Heart, Bemidji State, and good ol' Minnesota-Duluth.
        Am i blind? or am I not seeing UNH on here anywhere.
        The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
        "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
        GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
        GO LAKERS!!!
        GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
        "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
        Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
          Am i blind? or am I not seeing UNH on here anywhere.
          Oops...updated.

Comment

There are either a LOT more colleges in the US than I'm aware of or my alma mater is shockingly mediocre according to this list. What was their criteria?
            If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Not that my school should be top 10 or anything, but wasn't this list discredited by Red Cloud in the awesome thread(s) that was/were the SCSU/ Union "discussion"?
              Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
              Originally posted by Quizmire
              mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
              MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
              MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
              I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                Not that my school should be top 10 or anything, but wasn't this list discredited by Red Cloud in the awesome thread(s) that was/were the SCSU/ Union "discussion"?
                Probably. I just thought it'd be fun to see where everyone was ranked.

Comment

Is that FOUR big 12 schools I see BEHIND Merrimack.

I apologize for UML's low rankings... but you can't quite fit all of south campus onto an ice floe.
                  Last edited by Patman; 08-04-2011, 11:05 PM. Reason: need to keep conference names consistent with size
                  BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                  Skating Friar Jersey
                  AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                  UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                  Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                    There are either a LOT more colleges in the US than I'm aware of or my alma mater is shockingly mediocre according to this list. What was their criteria?
                    http://blogs.forbes.com/michaelnoer/...-top-colleges/

Our annual ranking of the 650 best undergraduate institutions focuses on the things that matter the most to students: quality of teaching, great career prospects, graduation rates and low levels of debt. Unlike other lists, we pointedly ignore ephemeral measures such as school “reputation” and ill-conceived metrics that reward wasteful spending. We try and evaluate the college purchase as a consumer would: Is it worth spending as much as a quarter of a million dollars for this degree? The rankings are prepared exclusively for Forbes by the Center for College Affordability and Productivity, a Washington, D.C. think tank founded by Ohio University economist Richard Vedder.
                    And later on you read:
                    The rankings are based on five general categories: Post Graduate success (30%), which evaluates alumni pay and prominence, Student Satisfaction (27.5%), which includes professor evaluations and freshman to sophomore year retention rates, Debt (17.5%), which penalizes schools for high student debt loads and default rates, Four Year Graduation Rate (17.5%) and Competitive Awards (7.5%), which rewards schools whose students win prestigious scholarships and fellowships like the Rhodes, the Marshall and the Fulbright. The complete methodology is available below and in .pdf format here.
                    When reading last year's announcement, they mentioned that there were over 5,000 undergrad schools in the country, probably over 6,000 since they said that making the bottom of their list puts the school in the top 10% of all undergrad schools in the nation.
                    Last edited by St. Clown; 08-04-2011, 11:15 PM.
                    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

I can't recall but wasn't it Forbes that uses ratemyprofessors.com as their metric for teaching quality. Very scientific.

I used to have a really good explanation when I was a tour guide as to why Miami was 200 spots lower in Forbes than every other ranking list, it would have been frowned upon to say that it was because our financial aid department is one of the worst in the country
                      Last edited by MUhawks628; 08-05-2011, 08:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MUhawks628 View Post
                        I can't recall but wasn't it Forbes that uses ratemyprofessors.com as their metric for teaching quality. Very scientific.
                        Certainly could be a metric for student apathy... even if the kids are stupid in their assessment it certainly sets the atmosphere of the institution.

When I started at Lowell people were trying to find ways to get out... when I left people liked their university. RMP wasn't around during much of that time... but i find it completely fair to rank schools by student body state of mind.
                        BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                        Skating Friar Jersey
                        AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                        UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                        Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                          Certainly could be a metric for student apathy... even if the kids are stupid in their assessment it certainly sets the atmosphere of the institution.

When I started at Lowell people were trying to find ways to get out... when I left people liked their university. RMP wasn't around during much of that time... but i find it completely fair to rank schools by student body state of mind.
                          Fair enough, and if you were using data from actual professor evaluations that would be a fantastic data point - but ratemyprofessors on average has what, 10-15 (very generous) reviews for a professor over a 3-4 year span. I don't know that you can call that the "student body state of mind".

At least at Miami it tends to be that most people stop using the site after a few semesters. Word of mouth was always much better way to go about course selection. The impression I've gotten from friends at different schools is that this is the case in many other places as well.

Comment

Originally posted by MUhawks628 View Post
                            Fair enough, and if you were using data from actual professor evaluations that would be a fantastic data point - but ratemyprofessors on average has what, 10-15 (very generous) reviews for a professor over a 3-4 year span. I don't know that you can call that the "student body state of mind".

At least at Miami it tends to be that most people stop using the site after a few semesters. Word of mouth was always much better way to go about course selection. The impression I've gotten from friends at different schools is that this is the case in many other places as well.
                            Yep, I don't think I looked at ratemyprofessors during my last 2 years at school. I never actually rated any professors in my early years.
                            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Don't know how I feel about that ranking system. If the outcome is Michigan at 93 and Wisconsin at 316, it doesn't smell right.

I'm guessing there's serious penalization for allowing rank and file students into the school. A small school outstate can be more selective in its admissions. A large school Minnesota Twin Cities educates half of the metro area.

In the end, if instead you measure by opportunity...I think you've got to give it to the larger schools. Large schools give you more substantial facilities, a larger number of associations, and more massive connections to other organizations. The point is if you're looking for a school to deliver you something on a silver platter this is a good ranking...if you're opportunistic, you're better off finding schools that offer greater potential of what it can be than Weber State.
                              Go Gophers!

Comment

Working...
                              X