X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: What the Fark???

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
    Can political tactics possibly become even more scurrilous than this?

This might be even worse than what Bush did to McCain in the 2000 primaries, and that was really despicable.

lulz

Comment

Turns out the answer is: yes.

Sen. Mitch McConnell's campaign and its GOP allies are distributing a mailer to Kentucky voters with the title "ELECTION VIOLATION NOTICE."

It warns of "a possible fraud" and reads, "You are at risk of acting on fraudulent information." It says it's paid for by the Republican Party of Kentucky and authorized by the McConnell Senate Committee '14.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

This might be even worse than what Bush did to McCain in the 2000 primaries, and that was really despicable.

AK is doing something similar. A shady group is mailing out letters with your neighbors' names, addresses, and whether they voted the last three elections, and is threatening to send another after the election.

People don't like it. Alaska takes personal privacy VERY seriously, even specifically delineating it in the state constitution.
        Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Just got two of these from the "Michigan League of Conservation Voters Education Fund", which a quick Google search reveals is a state branch of a national pro-environment organization.

The hilarious part, is that one mailer shows I voted in the 2008, 2010, and 2012 general elections and gives my personal rating as "Good". However, the other mailer accuses me of being an infrequent voter ("You vote, on average, in only one out of every two elections") and implies I am a bad role model for kids. I actually agree with the latter part of that.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
            Just got two of these from the "Michigan League of Conservation Voters Education Fund", which a quick Google search reveals is a state branch of a national pro-environment organization.

The hilarious part, is that one mailer shows I voted in the 2008, 2010, and 2012 general elections and gives my personal rating as "Good". However, the other mailer accuses me of being an infrequent voter ("You vote, on average, in only one out of every two elections") and implies I am a bad role model for kids. I actually agree with the latter part of that.
            Does Michigan allow odd-year elections for local things like school bonds? While I vote every even-year election, those odd-year elections are sporadic for me, at best. That's very common, if you look at election turnout percentages. The second group's mailer might be taking those into account while the first group only considered the even-year elections.
            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
              Does Michigan allow odd-year elections for local things like school bonds? While I vote every even-year election, those odd-year elections are sporadic for me, at best. That's very common, if you look at election turnout percentages. The second group's mailer might be taking those into account while the first group only considered the even-year elections.
              I should've mentioned it - yes, we do. Cities and school districts elect leadership in odd years, and since I do not own property or have kids, I typically don't bother voting in odd years (hence why I only vote 50% of the time). However, both mailers are from the same group, and the mailer that said my record was "Good" only seemed to count the general elections.

Comment

wow, I just checked my voicemail on the home phone, and there was a message from Barack Obama himself! He wanted to make sure I went out and voted today. How thoughtful.
                "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

wow, I just checked my voicemail on the home phone, and there was a message from Barack Obama himself! He wanted to make sure I went out and voted today. How thoughtful.
                  That bastage.
                  **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                  Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

The GOP candidate for Gov did that to me. Guess he assumed Old White Male Equals GOP.

He should have cross-reffed education.
                    Cornell University
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                      And it was 70 in DC today. I thought he would be taking in another round of golf.

Maybe we need to develop GolfNow for Presidents? Book a tee time direct from the Oval Office. No waiting!
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

@WTOP: Find a toilet, guys: Dutch govt moves to stop people from peeing on Amsterdam Royal Palace http://bit.ly/1E5vd5Y
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids
                        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Interesting.

Soap operas from South Korea have found an unlikely audience among Cubans, it's been reported.

The popular show Jewel in the Palace is the newest import on Cuban television, continuing the "implausible" success of Korean soaps in the country, the Chosun Ilbo website reports. Cultural differences seem to be part of the appeal for Cubans accustomed to watching dramatic Brazilian soaps. "The leisurely pace and somewhat stationary acting of the Korean fare apparently contrasts pleasantly with the endless high-octane histrionics of Latin American telenovelas," the website says.
                          Cornell University

Comment

I'm curious as to why they're importing Brazilian soap operas in the first place, rather than any other number of the Spanish speaking countries that offer soap operas rather than Brazil's Portuguese.
                            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                              I'm curious as to why [Cubans are] importing Brazilian soap operas in the first place, rather than any other number of the Spanish speaking countries that offer soap operas rather than Brazil's Portuguese.
                              Here is a surmise: if they import soaps from Spanish-speaking countries, then Cubans will see how much better off all those people are than themselves, and become sullen and resentful. If you import a soap from a country that speaks a different language, that adds a "novelty" element that makes it less "real" to the viewers.

Who knows what goes on in the mind of an 83-year old dictator? (and I am referring to Raul, not Fidel, who is 88).

PS now if you really want to talk about a country run by "old white men"....
                              "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

I thought about that before asking the question, but Portuguese and Spanish are very similar, to the point that most native Spanish speakers should be able to figure out most of what the Brazilians are saying with little or no difficulty.

Comment

Working...
                                X