X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: What the Fark???

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    Hate to say it, but he just hit the jackpot. He's probably lawyering up right now.
    Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
      Hate to say it, but he just hit the jackpot. He's probably lawyering up right now.
      I don't think so. Yes, I am naturally pessimistic about things that like, but he clearly took a run at the guy. At that point it's defense.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Man, what is going to be the etiquette on cracking open a cold one there? Is the Preacher going to pause every so often to let everybody pop one all at once?? Or are you just going to treat it like one would a fart in church, where you're just waiting for everybody to be singing loudly to crack it open? ?
        bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
          Man, what is going to be the etiquette on cracking open a cold one there? Is the Preacher going to pause every so often to let everybody pop one all at once?? Or are you just going to treat it like one would a fart in church, where you're just waiting for everybody to be singing loudly to crack it open? ?
          Maybe there are no cans or bottles; could be that someone's manning the keg?
          Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
          Patreon for exclusive writing content
          Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Man on moped leads dozens of police on chase

Top speed on this chase: 35 MPH.
            "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

I don't think so. Yes, I am naturally pessimistic about things that like, but he clearly took a run at the guy. At that point it's defense.
              But it's Texas. I think most people there don't like Teh Gayz.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Today in derp.
                Cornell University
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
                  I'm waiting to read about the after church DWI arrest volumes increase with the local police staking out the services for their annual retirement funds fundraiser.
                  Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                  Man on moped leads dozens of police on chase

Top speed on this chase: 35 MPH.
                  It sounds more thrilling than a white Bronco.
                  "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Theories like this make my head hurt.

In a paper published in the journal Physical Review X, Professor Howard Wiseman and Dr Michael Hall from Griffith's Centre for Quantum Dynamics, and Dr Dirk-Andre Deckert from the University of California, take interacting parallel worlds out of the realm of science fiction and into that of hard science.
                    The team proposes that parallel universes really exist, and that they interact. That is, rather than evolving independently, nearby worlds influence one another by a subtle force of repulsion. They show that such an interaction could explain everything that is bizarre about quantum mechanics.
                    This is the full paper. I am going to try (and fail) to read and understand it this weekend.
                    Last edited by Kepler; 10-30-2014, 11:23 AM.
                    Cornell University

Comment

Video shows 2 black bears fighting in residential neighborhood

Comment

Theories like this make my head hurt.

This is the full paper. I am going to try (and fail) to read and understand it this weekend.
                        Wait. This collection of geniuses have only just now concluded there are parallel worlds??? Republicans and Democrats. UND hockey fans and MN hockey fans. The Catholic Church and every known scientist. Flagdude and the rest of the planet. Doesn't anyone pay attention anymore?
                        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                          Wait. This collection of geniuses have only just now concluded there are parallel worlds??? Republicans and Democrats. UND hockey fans and MN hockey fans. The Catholic Church and every known scientist. Flagdude and the rest of the planet. Doesn't anyone pay attention anymore?
                          No, they only now concluded that those worlds interact. As in your examples, it's an open question as to whether those groups ever actually affect one another.
                          Cornell University

Comment

Can political tactics possibly become even more scurrilous than this?

The New York State Democratic Committee is bullying people into voting next week with intimidating letters warning that it can easily find out which slackers fail to cast a ballot next Tuesday.

“Who you vote for is your secret. But whether or not you vote is public record,” the letter says.

“We will be reviewing voting records . . . to determine whether you joined your neighbors who voted in 2014.”

It ends with a line better suited to a mob movie than a major political party: “If you do not vote this year, we will be interested to hear why not.”

This might be even worse than what Bush did to McCain in the 2000 primaries, and that was really despicable.

"Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Thanks for your endorsement, but... um...
                              Cornell University

Comment

No, the [scientists] only now concluded that those [parallel] worlds interact.
                                I'll give it a go. IIRC from my college QM class, it goes something like this:

Quantum mechanics as we know it posits the temporary creation and destruction of paired virtual particles in what otherwise would be a void. In the middle of "empty space", a particle and its anti-particle come into existence and then annihilate each other within the time window provided by the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle (i.e., the principle that "matter can be neither created nor destroyed" only applies outside the constraints of the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, which is a specific and precise, albeit extremely tiny, window that has been defined and tested experimentally). However, every now and then, a different random particle passing by interacts with one of the pair, so that the other particle from the original pair can then remain in existence outside the window. "something" can literally appear out of "nothing" but only if there is some other "something" around at just the precise random moment, otherwise the "something/nothing" duality goes on unobservably. The effect I just mentioned has been observed experimentally, IIRC.

What they are sort of saying is that, under the prior Many Worlds Theory, every time an either/or "choice" occurs, reality would branch into two realities, one for "either" and one for "or" so that both would then "exist" in parallel. Think of Schrodinger's cat: when you open the box, suddenly there are two "worlds": one in which the cat is alive, the other in which the cat is dead, and both "worlds" continue on their merry way after that. That theory posited that each separate branch would be "unaware" of all other branches. Interesting theory, but untestable.

Now they are refining that theory to say, for that "parallel existence" to be maintained, each of the two branches would need to "repel" each other in order to maintain their individuality as separate "branches" of reality. It is that repulsive force between the two "branches" that then manifests itself as quantum phenomena in both branches.

The interesting challenge will be how to test that hypothesis.
                                Last edited by FreshFish; 10-31-2014, 12:35 PM.
                                "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Working...
                                X