X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: What the Fark???

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    Ah. Thanks.

In related news (since to us MN, WI and ND are the same place), do not drive in ND.

Using raw insurance company claims data can be tricky because you'd have to separate out comprehensive from collision and then how do you control for uninsured drivers or for people who only carry liability coverage?

I'm not sure that her metric of "crashes per billion miles driven" is necessarily a good one, because in some states, you have to drive a lot farther to get anywhere than in others. "Crashes per trip" would have been a far better metric, but data is probably not available for that measure.

Some of the western states only have a few stores every hundred miles and so to get re-supplied you'd need to drive a lot farther than in eastern states for example. You could easily have fewer crashes per trip yet more crashes per billion miles driven as a result.

Also she may not have corrected sufficiently for the weather. When we lived in WY there were times when they had to completely shut down I-80 because of high winds and slippery conditions. There were times when you could be completely at a standstill yet have the wind blow your car along the icy road while you had no control over it whatsoever. I've seen 4' x 8' sheets of 3/4" plywood blown about as if they were leaves, and that is NOT from a tornado, just from a front moving through.

Based purely on anecdotal experience,
    -- Salt Lake City UT had the "worst" drivers
    -- metropolitan Boston area had the "craziest" drivers
    -- NY City has the "rudest" drivers
    -- New England has the most "passive aggressive" drivers
    -- WY had the "most considerate" drivers by far.
    Last edited by FreshFish; 10-24-2014, 02:38 PM.
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
      Based purely on anecdotal experience,
      -- Salt Lake City UT had the "worst" drivers
      -- metropolitan Boston area had the "craziest" drivers
      -- NY City has the "rudest" drivers
      Jesus, I agree with all of these 100%. People look at me like I have 2 heads when I say SLC has the worst drivers. I witnessed more witless driving maneuvers there in one week than in 6 years in Boston. Presumably they're all confident of going to heaven, or their own planet, or whatever Mormons think, so they don't mind hastening the day.

Boston, I think, has simply driven its drivers insane what with the one way streets that lead into each other, and the dueling donuts of death -- a brace of adjoining rotaries with something like 7 or 8 intersecting highways.

I'd also add:

Portland, OR has the most polite drivers (the "Portland wave" really throws you when you move there)

DC Metro has the most aggressive drivers (if you want to change lanes don't signal, because the guy next to you will speed up to deny you the spot for no reason other than sheer spite)
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I am reminded of a bumper sticker I saw a few days after we moved from a highly LDS area of WY to the northeast:

"Eat, Drink, and be Merry:
        for tomorrow you may be in Utah."

from time to time I am not sure if I believe in omens or not.
        "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
          I think I need to share 2 things I've overheard during my lunch at 2 different local restaurants the last 2 days:

Yesterday, I went to a local Fridley (<-First problem) sports bar to get a burger. I was craving a burger, and this place delivered on a tasty burger. Anyway, I was sitting there, by myself, messing around on my phone, waiting for my burger, and I overhear a conversation:

Old Guy: Does so and so have a baby yet?
          Younger Guy (appeared to be old guy's son): No....why would you think they'd have a baby?
          Old Guy: Well, they're not siblings, so I figure there's no reason to not make a baby.

Well, with logic like that....

Then, today, at a different restaurant I hear a guy say this to the people he was eating with:

Weird guy with pony tail: I just want to forget about my dead wife. The last time I saw her was when I embalmed her. Yeah, I used to own my own mortuary service, so I figured I'd do it myself. I don't remember much of it, I was pretty drunk when I did it.
          Oh, Anoka County...don't ever change.

Ah. Thanks.

In related news (since to us MN, WI and ND are the same place), do not drive in ND.
          I could have told you that.
          Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
          Originally posted by Quizmire
          mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
          MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
          MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
          I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
            Oh, Anoka County...don't ever change.

I could have told you that.
            The one today was actually in Ramsey county, I ventured outside of Fridley for lunch today, and it wasn't an improvement. The chimichanga was tasty though.
            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Today in oops:Man tries to buy weed from his own probation officer
              Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
              "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
              Patreon for exclusive writing content
              Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Woman stops man from raping her dog.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/con...sub_headline_1

Comment

"Highly intoxicated" lawn mower driver arrested in Van Buren County
                  "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

Another one of those great lines:

The lawn mower was removed from the roadway and was being held for safe keeping.
                    Cornell University
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Life's rich pageant.
                      Cornell University

Comment

Glad I'm not headed to Dallas today as I wore a pink shirt.

Comment

WE'S ALL GON DIE!!!
                          Cornell University

Comment

In Oklahoma, come to church, have a beer, and worship God

Comment

Who cares? Can you kill the downrange SOB? If so, welcome to the club. If not, Thank you for your service.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...re?tid=HP_more
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

I'm amused by the fact that about six civilians took this dickpump down before the cop even got in the frame.
                                I wish I am able to live long enough to do all the things I was attributed to.

Comment

Working...
                                X