X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: What the Fark???

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    30 years ago they thought it would be that today. Metric is like Soccer, always the next big thing, but neither ever catch on.
    All that has to happen for the metric system to catch on is for Barack Obama to make a comment in passing about how common-sense and useful imperial units are.

Half the country will disown them overnight.
    Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
      All that has to happen for the metric system to catch on is for Barack Obama to make a comment in passing about how common-sense and useful imperial units are.

Half the country will disown them overnight.
      "Imperial units?! The Muslin Marxist wants us back under the crown! HIS CROWN!"

Comment

I am amazed the amount of people who think the Metric system is HARD!. It's not. But then they complain about they'd have to change football and baseball stadiums. Nope. Last time I looked, Canadian football players are still 6' and 250 lbs and the field is still 110 yards long.

We'd all be trained in 5 years or less.

The biggest hangup? What's the size of a 2 x 4?
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
          I am amazed the amount of people who think the Metric system is HARD!. It's not. But then they complain about they'd have to change football and baseball stadiums. Nope. Last time I looked, Canadian football players are still 6' and 250 lbs and the field is still 110 yards long.

We'd all be trained in 5 years or less.

The biggest hangup? What's the size of a 2 x 4?
          It's not hard, it's just un-learning (literally) a lifetime of not using it. I prefer our system, mainly because I'm used to it. I'm sure that if I learned under the metric system, I'd feel the same about that unit of measure.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
            It's not hard, it's just un-learning (literally) a lifetime of not using it. I prefer our system, mainly because I'm used to it. I'm sure that if I learned under the metric system, I'd feel the same about that unit of measure.
            temperature is easy. Best approximation - double the metric and add 30. You'll be in the ballpark.
            Distance - 1 km = .6 mi.
            I get lost on liters. Something like 4 to a gallon I think

An hour is still 60 minutes.
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

temperature is easy. Best approximation - double the metric and add 30. You'll be in the ballpark.
              Distance - 1 km = .6 mi.
              I get lost on liters. Something like 4 to a gallon I think

An hour is still 60 minutes.
              Time is still universal. Thank goodness.

And temp is probably the toughest, since at some point, temps do match. I forget which temp that is, though.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                Time is still universal. Thank goodness.

And temp is probably the toughest, since at some point, temps do match. I forget which temp that is, though.
                -40. Too darn cold.
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

-40. Too darn cold.
                  Hi. I'm from Minnesota. We've seen that temp a few times.

Comment

I don't understand the push to switch to metric. So what if some people think it's easier. The system we usr now works and has worked for years and years, and we know how to use it. Why go through the pain and expense to change something that really isn't broken?
                    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Eventually it will be l/km.
                      Why not km/l? It will be whole number rather than a fraction (tiny fraction at that).

Comment

• Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                        Why not km/l? It will be whole number rather than a fraction (tiny fraction at that).
                        Oops.
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Woman caught smoking among the "No Smoking" signs in a Boston subway station. She's wanted by authorities, so she gives a fake name. Only the fake name she uses is the name of a real person, also wanted by police. Not the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/201...RcK/story.html

Comment

Kepler, this is right up your ally. Same for LynahFan

Sterilzing does does not lead to a reduction in the Cornell deer population.

Some interesting results. Ovaries grow back! Does that are not impregnated in rut, stay in rut (duh?).
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Kepler, this is right up your ally. Same for LynahFan

Sterilzing does does not lead to a reduction in the Cornell deer population.

Some interesting results. Ovaries grow back! Does that are not impregnated in rut, stay in rut (duh?).
                              Ha. I was on campus two weekends ago for the first time in years, and there was an article in the Daily Sun (or Ithaca Times?) about this...
                              If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

OK class, for our next lesson, I will show you how to suicide bomb a large group. http://joeforamerica.com/2014/08/isi...od-story-2014/

Comment

Working...
                                X