This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: What the Fark???

More and more schools are now declining to teach children how to write cursive.

The common core state standards, a set of math and English goals agreed upon by 45 states and now being implemented, sends cursive the way of the quill pen, while requiring instead that students be proficient in keyboarding by fourth grade
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

I was a pretty rote learner in grade school, and I learned cursive pretty much by the book (capital F's look like they do in the Ford logo, capital Q looks like a number 2, etc.) This was in third grade.

In fifth grade my teacher calls me up to his desk and says "What the hell letter is this?" pointing to a capital F I had written. I said "It's an F." He was like "Who taught you to write an F like that?" I said "Uhhh...Mr. REDACTED in third grade?" He finally said "Here's how you write an F from now on" and just wrote a block capital F in its place.

Its days were numbered even when I was in.
      Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

This isn't such a bad thing. First of all, it's very much discriminatory in terms of dexterity. Second of all, technology of today, even with pens and pencils, don't cause messy ink leading to reason to have a free-flow word. Third and finally, how many people actually use it in every day life beyond grammar school, minus a name signature?

I'm not so thrilled about the pushing of keyboarding, though.

Comment

Philadelphia....'nough said. #nuke
          (where the heart beats)

bleep.

Comment

Originally posted by RStarr View Post
            Philadelphia....'nough said. #nuke
            OK, sorry. What did I miss?
            Fighting Sioux Forever

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
              This isn't such a bad thing. First of all, it's very much discriminatory in terms of dexterity. Second of all, technology of today, even with pens and pencils, don't cause messy ink leading to reason to have a free-flow word. Third and finally, how many people actually use it in every day life beyond grammar school, minus a name signature?

I'm not so thrilled about the pushing of keyboarding, though.
              I use a hybrid of print and cursive on an everyday basis at work when taking notes in meetings. It all depends on the words, or how the letters flow together. For instance, I never use a cursive z, but a word like "mass" would be entirely cursive. Then again, I also drive a car with a manual transmission, so I'm old or something.
              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by MadTownSioux View Post
                OK, sorry. What did I miss?
                I know it's not south of the Mason-Dixon line, but you really need to have missed anything?
                If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                  I use a hybrid of print and cursive on an everyday basis at work when taking notes in meetings. It all depends on the words, or how the letters flow together. For instance, I never use a cursive z, but a word like "mass" would be entirely cursive. Then again, I also drive a car with a manual transmission, so I'm old or something.
                  I don't like seeing the outside of my hand covered in ink or graphite. Therefore, I don't use cursive, where I'm pretty much forced to subject my hand to it.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                    I don't like seeing the outside of my hand covered in ink or graphite. Therefore, I don't use cursive, where I'm pretty much forced to subject my hand to it.
                    Are you a lefty? I never get ink on my hands unless I'm clumsy when putting the cap back onto my pen.
                    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

One part of learning cursive that is too often overlooked is that it helps develop skills beyond being able to dash off a quick note to someone when a keyboard and printer aren't available. It also teaches fine motor skills, eye-hand co-ordination, and gives children the experience of transferring thought to paper. I would be the first to agree that all of these advantages are equally available if one merely were to learn block printing rather than cursive; what would concern me greatly was if children were not being taught to use pen and paper at all.

I remember during my sophomore year in college, the building superintendent obviously would use a ruler whenever he wrote out a notice, because the bottoms of his rounded letters were always squared off. The notes were nice and even across the page though.
                      "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

More amusing than anything else, but what the heck, I'll pimp my own thread.

Is that a large, $50 bottle of Vodka in your pants or are you just happy to see me?
                        Fighting Sioux Forever

Comment

Cursive was BS. I couldn't write it, no matter how long I practiced. My cursive handwriting was terrible, and as soon as I was able, I quit using it.
                          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Keyboarding class seems like a waste of time... maybe it was helpful when not everyone had access to computers or typewriters, and it actually made a difference or prepared you for a job. If you already have a typing method that works, use it - whether it's "correct" or not. I have never typed the way they teach in school (although I took the classes), but I can type faster than a lot of people that type "correctly" (basically, I hunt and peck without looking at the keyboard... so I type with two fingers - but fast).

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                            I use a hybrid of print and cursive on an everyday basis at work when taking notes in meetings. It all depends on the words, or how the letters flow together. For instance, I never use a cursive z, but a word like "mass" would be entirely cursive.
                            I do this too (looking at my notebook, I'd say it's 70% cursive).
                            I also got horrible grades in penmanship, though.
                            Last edited by jen; 02-01-2013, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Just saw a TV commercial where Jose Canseco was peddling HT. Yep. Higher Testosterone.

The sponsor sure has a set of balls.
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

I don't think Britney would have so much as a follicle left...
                                If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Working...
                                X