Garden Geeks thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Garden Geeks thread

Alas, I think I still don't have the right spot for even a small a greenhouse. I don't really have a "back" yard (corner lot), so it'd have to sit out in the open.

My blueberries do not look good. No green at all. Did I do something wrong, or is this normal? Should I have done something over the winter? They are supposed to be hardy enough for my zone.

I bought a bay plant! I had never seen one before. I expect my soup making life to be drastically improved.

I also bought watermelon and cantaloupe plants to try in containers. Do I need more than one of each to get fruit?
    Last edited by jen; 05-26-2018, 07:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
      Alas, I think I still don't have the right spot for even a small a greenhouse. I don't really have a "back" yard (corner lot), so it'd have to sit out in the open.

My blueberries do not look good. No green at all. Did I do something wrong, or is this normal? Should I have done something over the winter? They are supposed to be hardy enough for my zone.

I bought a bay plant! I had never seen one before. I expect my soup making life to be drastically improved.

I also bought watermelon and cantaloupe plants to try in containers. Do I need more than one of each to get fruit?
      Did you test soil before planting berries. They like acidic soil, they also like lots of organic matter.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
      I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Lawn mower-related question. I have a bumpy lawn. When I mow, it loosens the bolts that hold the handle on the mower. Had to stop 6 times the last time I mowed the lawn. Anyone else have this problem? What can I do? i did replace the original bolts with longer bolts, and it helped for awhile, but now they seem to be loosening again. This is extremely annoying. I know rolling the lawn isn't good for it - anything I can do to make it less bumpy?

Originally posted by walrus View Post
        Did you test soil before planting berries. They like acidic soil, they also like lots of organic matter.
        Nope, that could be the problem.

Comment

Locktite on the bolts. It's like glue to keep bolts from loosening . It comes in different strengths. I think red is the color you want. It will still come apart with a wrench if need be. Go to a auto parts store and ask. Do the bolts go into nuts. If so you can replace regular nuts with nylock nuts or lock nuts. Probably a good hardware store could help with that

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Beyond the bolts, walrus has that covered, consider having your lawn aerated. If it’s as bumpy as that, you might have issues with compacted soil. I do.

This fall I’m going to get it aerated to help out and then heavily overseed it. It hasn’t come back as thick as it used to.
            Code:
            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
            Originally posted by SanTropez
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
            Originally posted by Kepler
            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Locktite on the bolts. It's like glue to keep bolts from loosening . It comes in different strengths. I think red is the color you want. It will still come apart with a wrench if need be. Go to a auto parts store and ask. Do the bolts go into nuts. If so you can replace regular nuts with nylock nuts or lock nuts. Probably a good hardware store could help with that
              Thanks, will try this.

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
              Beyond the bolts, walrus has that covered, consider having your lawn aerated. If it’s as bumpy as that, you might have issues with compacted soil. I do.

This fall I’m going to get it aerated to help out and then heavily overseed it. It hasn’t come back as thick as it used to.
              Had it aerated last fall (I do it every other year). Doesn't help.
              Last edited by jen; 07-04-2018, 09:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
                Had it aerated last fall (I do it every other year). Doesn't help.

Have you tried peat?
                Code:
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Are they the bolts you need to loosen to fold the handle? If so, I'd recommend the nylock nuts.

Is the bumpiness cause by dead spots? If so, you might try spreading topsoil to even the ground out, then overseeding. Best to do in the fall, because grass goes dormant in midsummer anyway. I have a problem where my dog pees. Since she's changed her preferred unrinal spot, this fall I'm going to dig out the dead spot, spread some topsoil and reseed.

Comment

I have a watermelon and a cantaloupe! The watermelon is not really getting bigger at this point, though. Still early days for the cantaloupe.

I've never grown tomatoes, but I bought one plant and put it in a pot with basil (for my mom, who loves tomatoes - I'm not a fan of fresh tomatoes unless they're pureed in sauce). The plant is almost taller than me - I've gotten probably 10 tomatoes so far, and there's at least 10 more. Definitely a successful experiment.

btw, the lawn mower handle issue - Locktite didn't work. Screws still kept coming loose. I have resolved the problem with duct tape. Have not addressed the bumpy lawn yet - maybe when I get around to re-seeding.

next chore is to buy a lawn edger, since my neighbor edged his. grrrr.

Comment

Got home from the weekend away and the groundhog has eaten everything in the garden to stalks. Except tufts of morning glories at the top of the stakes. All the beans, all the tomatoes, GRRRRRRRRRRRR!!! I think we are going to electrify the fence. Anyone ever do that? what needs to be done?

We do have a mutant squash growing out of each compost heap. Butternut squash is at least 2.5 ft long- probably closer to 3 ft and the other one is acorn- not quite as mutant but still the plant is huge. The groundhog looks like it has started on those leaves for dessert

Comment

current fence is hardware cloth sunk 1 ft into the ground and about 3/1/2 ft tall that flaps outward. The groundhog goes over it like American ninja warrior.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                          Got home from the weekend away and the groundhog has eaten everything in the garden to stalks. Except tufts of morning glories at the top of the stakes. All the beans, all the tomatoes, GRRRRRRRRRRRR!!! I think we are going to electrify the fence. Anyone ever do that? what needs to be done?

We do have a mutant squash growing out of each compost heap. Butternut squash is at least 2.5 ft long- probably closer to 3 ft and the other one is acorn- not quite as mutant but still the plant is huge. The groundhog looks like it has started on those leaves for dessert
                          You can't electrify fence in the ground. I used 1 wire about 4 inches off the ground to keep raccoons out of the chicken coupe.

Comment

You can't electrify fence in the ground. I used 1 wire about 4 inches off the ground to keep raccoons out of the chicken coupe.
                            I was thinking about putting it at the top but maybe at 4 inches and at the top. We have to redo the whole garden so looking at how to revamp.

Comment

Clearly the next logical step is a moat
                              Code:

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                                Clearly the next logical step is a moat
                                Blood hounds.

Comment

Working...
                                X