Garden Geeks thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Garden Geeks thread

Not that far ahead here. Seeds under the lights.

Comment

Potatoes and Peas went in last weekend. Frost for tonight - I'm praying for my cherries and apples.
      Fighting Sioux Forever

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
        ..... We tried drenching the soil with a fungicide this year before planting.
        What Fungicide did you use, if you don't mind me asking?
        Fighting Sioux Forever

Comment

Originally posted by MadTownSioux View Post
          What Fungicide did you use, if you don't mind me asking?
          It's called "Soap-Shield" and it is a "Flowable Liquid Copper Fungicide."

It comes as a concentrate and you mix it with water. We put it in a watering can and watered the soil with it before planting.

You also can put it in a sprayer and spray the leaves with it every other week or so after the plants are well-established.
          "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Late start this yr. Soil was horribly wet then I got sick as a dog last week, barely upright today but it is getting way too late to plant. Just planted the veggie garden today- tomatoes (had planted indoors, repotted- they are huge!)basil, cukes, soliel and nickel beans, lettuce- ridiculously late

Comment

Anyone ever grow a Hawthorne tree (white ? got one at a garden swap because the person said it should grow to 15 ft but when I looked it up it says to 30 ft and very wide Left it in the pot until I find out. Also said it needs 2 stems- which it has- but I can find no reference to this.

Comment

It's not too late to plant. Maybe for cold weather crops like peas but up here soil temps are still low as its so wet. I'm not sure squash will germinate it's still so chilly.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
                I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                  It's not too late to plant. Maybe for cold weather crops like peas but up here soil temps are still low as its so wet. I'm not sure squash will germinate it's still so chilly.

Hiyah wally! It has been close to 50 at night for a bit here but cool/rainy for most of the days- some sun. Hoping for the germination.

Comment

Soil temp in garden 57, higher than I thought. 66 in hoop house with black plastic down

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                      Soil temp in garden 57, higher than I thought. 66 in hoop house with black plastic down

Had some sun yesterday but back to cooler and clouds today. Sigh.

Comment

I planted tomatoes and peppers in hoop house. Put down black plastic for squashes but didn't plant them or green beans

Comment

No one with Hawthorne tree experience huh?

Comment

We had a Hawthorne tree in Orono when I was a kid. I want to say 15 or 20 feet but as I remember the thorns are killer

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                              No one with Hawthorne tree experience huh?
                              I have a hawthorne. About 10-12 yr old?, 20'x20', nice cone shape. I trim the lower branches so it can be walked under without getting your head all bloodied up. This is the first year I had a beautiful show of white spring flowers... and I do mean beautiful. What a nice tree.

P.S. A lot of my trees came from the arbor day society... as twigs, planted years ago. My Washington Hawthorne is a single trunk.
                              'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Thanks guys. Now trying to figure out where to put it as it looks to be potentially much larger than I have room for

Comment

Working...
                                X