Garden Geeks thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Garden Geeks thread

Oh, and another half bag of green and yellow beans today.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
      Instead of ripping them out bring the stuff to a food bank. they probably would love it.

That's a good idea. I'll have to look into it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
        How close are you to Madison?

After being out of town for a few days, came home to this...

*****http://i820.***********.com/albums/zz128/Gurtholfin/Tomatoes_zps8d1e7547.jpg******

Had to can 14 quarts yesterday and there were still 10 tomatoes left over. I now have 34 quarts in the basement with 4 quart jars left to use and 12 pints. After that, I'm done.

Gonna rip out the yellow plant as I'm about done canning (out of jars - had to buy 12 more yesterday) and they're not very good sliced.

What sort of prep do you do prior to canning them?
        I wish I am able to live long enough to do all the things I was attributed to.

Comment

Originally posted by XYZ View Post
          What sort of prep do you do prior to canning them?
          Here's what I do which was handed down from my mother who learned from her mother who learned from her mother...

The jars are washed and then immersed in boiling water for 6 minutes to sterilize them. No less than 6 minutes and boiling water!

At the same time, you have a pot of boiling water that you drop tomatoes in for maybe a minute. Take them out and drop them in a big bowl of cold water. This makes the skin split so it can be easily peeled off.

Cut the tomatoes into small sections and fill the sterilized jars.

These steps will run concurrently as you will be cutting tomatoes and filling the first few jars as other jars are sterilizing.

Once all of the jars are full - about an inch from the top (leave an inch) - you add 1 teaspoon of salt and 1 teaspoon of lemon juice. Can't remember why, but BOTH are essential.

At this point you boil a small bowl of water in the micro and drop the lids in it so they soften for sealing.

Very important - you take a wet paper towel to the rim of each jar and get them completely clean. The must be free of debris so a seal can form with the lid.

Put a lid on the jar and add the band. Hand tighten - do not over tighten as it will cause seal failures.

Once they're ready, drop the jars in the canning pot with water over the tops and simmer them (not BOIL - just a slow boil) for 40 minutes. Once their going, med heat is about right - you just want the water bubbling, not churning/frothing.

After 40 minutes, take them out to cool - which will take a couple of hours. You'll know that they sealed if the lids become concave. I've never had one not seal, but if you do, put it in the fridge and use it within a few days.

Not sure if all of this was what you were after, but hopefully your answer is in there.
          Last edited by Gurtholfin; 08-30-2013, 07:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
            Here's what I do which was handed down from my mother who learned from her mother who learned from her mother...

The jars are washed and then immersed in boiling water for 6 minutes to sterilize them. No less than 6 minutes and boiling water!

At the same time, you have a pot of boiling water that you drop tomatoes in for maybe a minute. Take them out and drop them in a big bowl of cold water. This makes the skin split so it can be easily peeled off.

Cut the tomatoes into small sections and fill the sterilized jars.

These steps will run concurrently as you will be cutting tomatoes and filling the first few jars as other jars are sterilizing.

Once all of the jars are full - about an inch from the top (leave an inch) - you add 1 teaspoon of salt and 1 teaspoon of lemon juice. Can't remember why, but BOTH are essential.

At this point you boil a small bowl of water in the micro and drop the lids in it so they soften for sealing.

Very important - you take a wet paper towel to the rim of each jar and get them completely clean. The must be free of debris so a seal can form with the lid.

Put a lid on the jar and add the band. Hand tighten - do not over tighten as it will cause seal failures.

Once their ready, drop the jars in the canning pot with water over the tops and simmer them (not BOIL - just a slow boil) for 40 minutes. Once their going, med heat is about right - you just want the water bubbling, not churning/frothing.

After 40 minutes, take them out to cool - which will take a couple of hours. You'll know that they sealed if the lids become concave. I've never had one not seal, but if you do, put it in the fridge and use it within a few days.

Not sure if all of this was what you were after, but hopefully your answer is in there.
            Woops, sorry...should have been more specific and saved you time. Was wondering about the tomatoes themselves and whether you add any other veggies, peel, season, etc. prior to canning.
            I wish I am able to live long enough to do all the things I was attributed to.

Comment

Originally posted by XYZ View Post
              Woops, sorry...should have been more specific and saved you time. Was wondering about the tomatoes themselves and whether you add any other veggies, peel, season, etc. prior to canning.

No worries. I peel them, but I don't add anything (other than the salt and lemon juice) as we use them for so many different things that already have their own seasoning balance. Chili, spag sauce, stuffed peppers, ench sauce, soups etc...

I'd guess that some people make Italian seasoned tomatoes or other types.

Comment

That's a good idea. I'll have to look into it.
                It's what I did with buckets of excess green beans in years past. They were thrilled to get them.
                "This world is your world. Take it easy, but take it." - Woody Guthrie

Comment

For anyone wanting to dry, freeze, can, cure & smoke, make jam or jelly, or pickle foods, here's a great website...
                  National Center For Home Food Preservation

All veggies are canned differently, and it's important to get it right. Things like the altitude above sea level where you live make a difference in cooking times, etc.
                  Enjoy.

P.S. I don't think Gurtholfin's method is in there... but since they've been doing it the way mentioned for generations, I think they're good to go.
                  Last edited by FiveHole12; 08-30-2013, 04:35 PM.
                  'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

- you add 1 teaspoon of salt and 1 teaspoon of lemon juice. Can't remember why, but BOTH are essential.
                    Not sure on the salt but lemon makes it more acidic and I use tablespoon not teaspoon.
                    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

I think my tomatillo is plotting world domination. I can't believe how huge it is. I have a tomato cage around it, but it's a lot taller than the cage and dwarfs everything else in the garden. I read up on how to tell when they're ripe, and it said when the fruit is about the size of the husk, they're good to go (but apparently they're edible at any stage).

Also noticed I have a few more Romas and some red peppers. Not a good year for jalapenos. The bok choy was a waste. It bolted really early and I never got anything edible from it.

Comment

Yesterday I canned 13 quarts of tomato sauce. Today, I should get 10-12 pints of canned tomatoes. LOTS of tomatoes.

Walrus is right - all canning procedures call for 1 tbsp lemon juice now. I think the salt is optional.
                        Fighting Sioux Forever

Comment

2 things ravaging my garden, first Tomato hornworm, never seen one before, now I have. Completely defoliating my plants, found one the size of my index finger, even the chickens were afraid of it for awhile found several more and fed the chickens again. Tomatos are history for this year, not sure what to do about next year?. The next thing is deer, freakin ***** and her 2 fawns, eating my squash, I have some portable fencing so I put that up but nothing to zap the Bit_h with, off to tractor supply tomorrow
                          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                            2 things ravaging my garden, first Tomato hornworm, never seen one before, now I have. Completely defoliating my plants, found one the size of my index finger, even the chickens were afraid of it for awhile found several more and fed the chickens again. Tomatos are history for this year, not sure what to do about next year?. The next thing is deer, freakin ***** and her 2 fawns, eating my squash, I have some portable fencing so I put that up but nothing to zap the Bit_h with, off to tractor supply tomorrow
                            This is the first yr I haven't had that nasty worm in a long time. We have the dam n groundhog

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                              This is the first yr I haven't had that nasty worm in a long time. We have the dam n groundhog
                              Yeah, well maybe you can thank Mr. Groundhog for eating that nasty worm, eh?
                              "This world is your world. Take it easy, but take it." - Woody Guthrie

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                                Beat 2 eggs really well and add to 1 gallon of water... spray on plants. The deer will move on to your other goodies. Compliments of my dear friend, Shirley Nason, Seboeis Plantation. It really works. Deer don't like the taste of egg.
                                I add a little garlic powder as well... they don't like the taste and smell of garlic either.

Shoot the worms with high caliber rifle.
                                'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Working...
                                X