Garden Geeks thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Garden Geeks thread

Another large shoppin bag of beans (3 days after the half bag), 4 cukes, 2 summer squash. Ground hog is eating the tomatoes . wally you are the berries!! Used yr trick for the cukes and squashes- first crop we have had in years. Can't keep up with them!!! w00t!!

Comment

Boy, have my beans decided they're on a break. Just not producing at all right now. They've had non-productive periods in previous seasons, so I'm holding my breath that they'll wake up and get to it. There were past years where each pick yielded about 12 to 16 pounds of beans, but this year it was only about 5 or so. Still, the vines look healthy so maybe it'll turn around.
      "This world is your world. Take it easy, but take it." - Woody Guthrie

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
        wally you are the berries!! Used yr trick for the cukes and squashes- first crop we have had in years. Can't keep up with them!!! w00t!!
        Glad it worked, my oversized summer, Zukes and Cukes go to chickens. Tonight I used a potato peeler on a Zucchini to make fake noodles in a stir fry, kept peeling until I got to seeds and then turned. Worked well and is another way to enjoy fresh Zucchini.
        My beans are history but I have another row coming if the deer are kept at bay. Thinking I should plant some spinach this weekend
        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
          Glad it worked, my oversized summer, Zukes and Cukes go to chickens. Tonight I used a potato peeler on a Zucchini to make fake noodles in a stir fry, kept peeling until I got to seeds and then turned. Worked well and is another way to enjoy fresh Zucchini.
          My beans are history but I have another row coming if the deer are kept at bay. Thinking I should plant some spinach this weekend
          I have a recipe for Chocolate Zucchini Cake I posted before. Have a huge one I am going to make that with. No chix here. One of my friends also taught me how to make little zucchini pancakes out of shredded zukes. YUM!

Comment

I had one Roma tomato and something stole it.

Now I have a ton of tomatillos and tiny red peppers.

Comment

So this guy has been seen multiple times daily leaving our garden with stuffed cheeks. I couldn't imagine what he'd be taking from the garden and then I saw that he finds it most convenient to climb up one fence, run through the garden and climb up and over the far fence before raiding something from the neighbor's yard. And then coming back via the same route.

Took this tonight about 30 minutes ago and he's still at it.

*****http://i820.***********.com/albums/zz128/Gurtholfin/Chip2_zps268b89eb.jpg******

Oh yeah, and 7 more quarts of tomatoes yesterday.
              Last edited by Gurtholfin; 08-22-2013, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Do habanero peppers self-pollinate?

I have only one plant in my very small garden (can't spare the space, and how many of them do you need anyway?). The plant seems healthy enough, there seem to be plenty of blossoms, buy no fruits yet. Wondering if the plant is lonely and needs some companionship.

Comment

7 more quarts of tomatoes today for a total of 20 quarts with no end in sight.

Make them stop! Or at least slow down...

All this off 5 plants.

Comment

Oh yeah, finally got our first beans. Stir fried them with some garlic and Adobo and they were wonderful.

Comment

Have a stuffed full shopping bag of beans. VERY FEW tomatoes. Dam n groundhog Too bad we couldn't have a trade

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                        Have a stuffed full shopping bag of beans. VERY FEW tomatoes. Dam n groundhog Too bad we couldn't have a trade

How close are you to Madison?

After being out of town for a few days, came home to this...

*****http://i820.***********.com/albums/zz128/Gurtholfin/Tomatoes_zps8d1e7547.jpg******

Had to can 14 quarts yesterday and there were still 10 tomatoes left over. I now have 34 quarts in the basement with 4 quart jars left to use and 12 pints. After that, I'm done.

Gonna rip out the yellow plant as I'm about done canning (out of jars - had to buy 12 more yesterday) and they're not very good sliced.

Comment

That's a very nice bunch of tomatoes! Well done. Wish our tomato plants were this prolific.
                          Originally posted by Priceless
                          Good to see you're so reasonable.
                          Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
                          Very well, said.
                          Originally posted by Rover
                          A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
                            That's a very nice bunch of tomatoes! Well done. Wish our tomato plants were this prolific.

This is the best crop I've ever gotten. I've never canned more than 6 quarts in one day - and I never want to again. 4 hours later...

And there's at least that many more still out there.

Only gonna plant 4 next year instead of the 5 I have now.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                              This is the best crop I've ever gotten. I've never canned more than 6 quarts in one day - and I never want to again. 4 hours later...

And there's at least that many more still out there.

Only gonna plant 4 next year instead of the 5 I have now.
                              Sounds like a 50's grade B movie. The Tomatoes That Would Not Stop!
                              Originally posted by Priceless
                              Good to see you're so reasonable.
                              Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
                              Very well, said.
                              Originally posted by Rover
                              A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                                How close are you to Madison?

After being out of town for a few days, came home to this...

*****http://i820.***********.com/albums/zz128/Gurtholfin/Tomatoes_zps8d1e7547.jpg******

Had to can 14 quarts yesterday and there were still 10 tomatoes left over. I now have 34 quarts in the basement with 4 quart jars left to use and 12 pints. After that, I'm done.

Gonna rip out the yellow plant as I'm about done canning (out of jars - had to buy 12 more yesterday) and they're not very good sliced.
                                Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
                                What he said.

Instead of ripping them out bring the stuff to a food bank. they probably would love it.

Comment

Working...
                                X