This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Garden Geeks thread

A brief inspection today showed the first green bean of the season on the wall-o-beans. I think within a week we'll be eating them. On a side note, I noticed people at the farmer's market selling mulberries for $3 a pint. I wish I had known there was a demand, since we have them all over the property. Any of you Madison area people want some, just let me know, and you can have all you want. They make great pies and jelly.
    "This world is your world. Take it easy, but take it." - Woody Guthrie

Comment

I have weird orange stuff on the ground by my strawberries. It almost looks like a fungus of some type. Anyone seen something like that before?

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
        I have weird orange stuff on the ground by my strawberries. It almost looks like a fungus of some type. Anyone seen something like that before?
        I googled 'garden orange fungus' and got a few hits. Some sound like they aren't in this climate, but some others are.
        Fighting Sioux Forever

Comment

Originally posted by Carter View Post
          A brief inspection today showed the first green bean of the season on the wall-o-beans. I think within a week we'll be eating them. On a side note, I noticed people at the farmer's market selling mulberries for $3 a pint. I wish I had known there was a demand, since we have them all over the property. Any of you Madison area people want some, just let me know, and you can have all you want. They make great pies and jelly.
          Is that the (deleted) plant that grows EVERYWHERE in my veggie and flower gardens, like a tree? That's what my neighbor calls them. I can barely keep ahead pulling them out.
          Fighting Sioux Forever

Comment

Originally posted by MadTownSioux View Post
            Is that the (deleted) plant that grows EVERYWHERE in my veggie and flower gardens, like a tree? That's what my neighbor calls them. I can barely keep ahead pulling them out.
            Don't know if it's what you've got, but they are definitely trees. Some of ours are probably close to 30' tall. We used to try and pick them from ladders before I said eff this and pulled out a tarp. Spread it out and beat the snot out of the tree limbs. They just rain down.

Comment

I have balloons on my balloon flowers!

and tons of flowers on the cucumbers, jalapenos and tomatillos, and the basil is exploding. There's even a flower on the Roma tomatoes and red peppers.

I looked into the orange fungus, and found a picture of what mine looks like - unfortunately, the person with the picture didn't know exactly what it was, either. I bought some general fungicide spray (copper something or other), but it's probably too late for this year.

Comment

Picked the first green beans yesterday, amid the heat and mosquitos. I got about 3-1/4 pounds and we ate a bunch last night. Yum.

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
                  I have balloons on my balloon flowers!
                  My balloon flowers bloomed a month ago. I dead-headed them and am having some re-blooms.
                  Originally posted by mookie1995
                  bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
                  Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
                  Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

The ones the deer didn't eat are just starting to bloom here. No real rain for awhile but tons of humidity. Makes the garden look awful!

Comment

just took out the last of our garden plants, as the tomato plants had pretty much wilted over the last couple weeks. time to start planning our late summer/early fall planting. We're also planning an expansion of our raised garden area, so that'll give me a project to work away at in the coming months.
                      Originally posted by Priceless
                      Good to see you're so reasonable.
                      Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
                      Very well, said.
                      Originally posted by Rover
                      A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Finally got my first tomato (an early girl, no less ) of the year and enjoying it in a salad along with a pepper that's also from the garden.

Gonna have a ton of tomatoes real soon as my plants are all almost 6 feet tall and looking very robust.

Comment

Getting a steady stream of daily tomatoes. I will be canning soon!

Comment

Trying to get my raised garden expansion project done by early September, when it's time to plant lettuce and other fall/winter veggies. With the larger space, we'll probably stagger a few plantings, so we harvest over a longer period of time.
                            Originally posted by Priceless
                            Good to see you're so reasonable.
                            Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
                            Very well, said.
                            Originally posted by Rover
                            A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Despite the fungicide, the carmello tomatoes are still struggling to fight off some blight. The cherry tomatoes of course are going gangbusters, have so many ripening every day that it's hard to harvest them all.

The bush beans are doing fantastic. The first planting has been bearing steadily for weeks, and the second planting is just starting to bear now. Enough to feed three people two or three times a week in a relatively small planting bed. The third planting should start to bear in a few weeks, and the fourth planting is just pushing up from the ground. The staggered plantings really extend the harvest quite a bit.

The cayenne peppers also are thriving. We still have dried peppers from two years ago and last year to use up, and this year's crop has already added about two dozen more to be dried.

The eggplants are a new variety, just starting to bear fruit. Picked the first cucumber yesterday and have another almost ready to pick, with plenty of flowers. Set out cucumber beetle traps this year and they seem to be doing a very good job: no holes in the leaves at all.

The tomatillos are surviving the leaf-hoppers (who seem to survive despite the Pyola that has worked everywhere else) and are in flower.

Overall, a pretty good year, especially when compared to the past two, though it would be nice to be getting more tomatoes than we are.
                              "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

shopping bag full of beans, 3 cukes and a few tomatoes when we got back from vacation. Lottsa beans. Never do a second planting as the first one produces all the way thru.

Comment

Working...
                                X