Garden Geeks thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Garden Geeks thread

Moved the tomatoes outdoors. Peas are about 4" to 6" tall. Radishes should be ready to eat in about 10 days.

Lots of flowers on the strawberries, should have a great harvest now that the cages have been rebuilt and fresh salt hay laid down early in the spring.

Succession of flowering trees and shrubs and vines has been and continues to be fantastic.
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Got all of my plants in. Normally I like to get the peas and carrots in earlier, but the plot wasn't ready.

Got 5 different tomato plants, 6 different peppers, masai green beans, sugar snap peas, carrots, brussels & cuccs.

Looking forward to fresh produce again after 2 years off.

Comment

Soaking rain all week so couldn't till or plant the main veggie garden. Did manage to plant all the tomatoes (always grow em in pots). Also planted the planers on the deck, the perennials in the garden, reset the brick edging in my herb garden. The boys chopped off a few big dead limbs off the oak that were hanging over the shade garden. I am aching.

Comment

Got nothing done, 4 inches of rain this week and high temps in the 50s doesn't bode well for anything looking for soil temps in the 60s and 70s
          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
            Got nothing done, 4 inches of rain this week and high temps in the 50s doesn't bode well for anything looking for soil temps in the 60s and 70s
            Need to plant the beans and squashes. Not happening. Everything is going to be late.

Comment

• Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
              Need to plant the beans and squashes. Not happening. Everything is going to be late.
              Yep

Comment

Our first harvest: a radish.

The beginning of the weekend was cold, rainy, and very windy. Dragged a 4' x 8' piece of plywood out to protect the tomatoes from being whipped around too much. It seems to have worked as the sunshine yesterday helped revive them all.

We started peppers indoors, and it looks weird now that they are transplanted outside to see flowers on the peppers before there are flowers on the peas!
                "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

My wife came walking in this morning with a nice sized beat from our garden. We had figured they were still a little ways off, but she saw this one starting to push above ground. Not sure exactly what we'll do with our beats. Maybe some juicing amongst other things.

Also, we got the Tanglefoot and it seems to be keeping ants off our trees, at least for now.
                  Originally posted by Priceless
                  Good to see you're so reasonable.
                  Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
                  Very well, said.
                  Originally posted by Rover
                  A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Planted dill, basil, parsley, tomatillos, sweet red peppers, bok choy, jalapenos, cucumbers, cilantro, and various flowers. Got all the weeding and trimming done. I had 2 suspicious-looking plants that I thought might be weeds, but I left them... after some googling, turns out they're the balloon flowers I planted last year that never grew.

I bought some Preen - curious on others' thoughts.. does it really work?

Comment

This isn't exactly a gardening question, it is more of a lawn question....Does anyone have any tried and true way to kill off moles? I have a terrible mole problem and I've tried just about everything I can find to get rid of them, nothing has worked. I have tried: pelleted poison, gel poison, poison worms, 3 different styles of traps, flooding/drowning, spray-on-the-lawn repellant, "sonar" spikes. None have worked. I'm long past getting frustrated.
                      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                        This isn't exactly a gardening question, it is more of a lawn question....Does anyone have any tried and true way to kill off moles? I have a terrible mole problem and I've tried just about everything I can find to get rid of them, nothing has worked. I have tried: pelleted poison, gel poison, poison worms, 3 different styles of traps, flooding/drowning, spray-on-the-lawn repellant, "sonar" spikes. None have worked. I'm long past getting frustrated.

Surprised you don't have heavier artillery in your arsenal. No C-4? No Claymores? Grenades?

I was told that juicy fruit gum works. Find a fresh tunnel, poke a hole, drop small pieces in and re-cover the hole. Evidently, they eat it and can't digest and it kills them.

I had moles for the first two summers in my new home and I was getting around to trying this and they just disappeared. It's flat out amazing how much damage those little pukes can do.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
                          Yes it does.
                          'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
                            Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
                            Yes it does.
                            It does, if you get it down before the weeds come out. I used it on all my gardens and the only weeds are on the very edges where I must have missed.
                            Last edited by MadTownSioux; 05-30-2013, 12:43 PM.
                            Fighting Sioux Forever

Comment

Its pretty wet in my gardens but I had to get stuff in, planted beans, cukes, squashes today. Now the sun is full on so I'm done until tomorrow although I may go put tomato stakes in later this afternoon. Tomatoes and peppers go in tomorrow, pretty late but this spring hasn't been exactly warm and dry so..... I've got some of the best compost I've ever had, last year I brought up several loads of seaweed off the beach, it composted nicely with cow manure. Covered the seeds with it instead of dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                                Its pretty wet in my gardens but I had to get stuff in, planted beans, cukes, squashes today. Now the sun is full on so I'm done until tomorrow although I may go put tomato stakes in later this afternoon. Tomatoes and peppers go in tomorrow, pretty late but this spring hasn't been exactly warm and dry so..... I've got some of the best compost I've ever had, last year I brought up several loads of seaweed off the beach, it composted nicely with cow manure. Covered the seeds with it instead of dirt.
                                Hoping to get mine in tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                                X