Garden Geeks thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Garden Geeks thread

This is year is the first year I've ordered seeds. I chose to order from Stokes Seeds and will see how everything produces. This year I also want to start some stuff indoors and was wondering if anyone has a small setup with a light who has any advice for me.
    Embrace the hate.

Comment

Originally posted by nmu_27 View Post
      This is year is the first year I've ordered seeds. I chose to order from Stokes Seeds and will see how everything produces. This year I also want to start some stuff indoors and was wondering if anyone has a small setup with a light who has any advice for me.
      I have been starting thngs indoors for a long time now. I thought it was going to be complicated but turned out to be easy. I have 4 of those flourescent bar light fixtures that people have in their shops. Use grow light bulbs. We put hooks in the rafters and then bought lengths of chain to hang them off of. Drop them down so they are almost right on top of the flats and as the plants grow move the light hooks up the chain. I don't use warming mats. Just the lights. Water the flats but pouring water done the side of the tray not on top. Have been very successful.

Also- They always tell you to plant 2 seeds in each cell and pull one after they are established. I plant one seed in a peat cell. I don't care if a few fail. I would rather have all the plants than pulling out perfectly good seedlings if they do succeed.

I use peat plugs in trays rather than the jiffy flats for things like tomatoes, lettuce, basil. When they start getting crowded in the plugs I transplant into solo cups and move them to my sunporch. I take a stack of cups and use a handheld drill to poke a few drainage holes in the bottoms. Fill about 2/3 full of soil that way when they are first growing they are protected a bit. Use the flats for the bigger things like squash, cukes because they outgrow the plugs too fast transplant those right into the garden.

Comment

alright, I went a little crazy. just bought some bluebells, primrose, mixed sedum... and a dwarf lemon tree.

Comment

First green bean plants are popping up out of the ground as of last night. Went with the string trellis, but it is a bit of work to set up, so probably next fall I'll switch around to using a wire mesh of some sort.
          Originally posted by Priceless
          Good to see you're so reasonable.
          Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
          Very well, said.
          Originally posted by Rover
          A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Thanks. I'll start looking around for the lights.
            Embrace the hate.

Comment

Planted a grape vine (flame red) and strawberry bush last night. The wife decided she wanted two more grape vines, so I'll pick those up after work tonight. Got a few climbing bougainvilla bushes to plant as soon as the nursery gets some in. After that, planting is probably pretty much done for the spring. In AZ you don't want to plant if you can help it in the run up to the hot summer.
              Very well, said.
              A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

I suggest a timer, that helps quite a bit. We use grow light bulbs too. You also need to set up some kind of reminder system to water if your growing area isn't in a place where you'll be otherwise reminded.

You might also consider using peat pots to start certain seeds to reduce transplant shock when you move them outdoors.
                "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                  I suggest a timer, that helps quite a bit. We use grow light bulbs too. You also need to set up some kind of reminder system to water if your growing area isn't in a place where you'll be otherwise reminded.

You might also consider using peat pots to start certain seeds to reduce transplant shock when you move them outdoors.
                  Agree, I forgot to put that- we have the lights on a timer.

Comment

Mrs. Les and I have both posted already about our success with grow lights and timers.

Depending upon your climate and how much sun your garden gets, and how exposed to the wind it is, when you first move your seedlings outside, you might also want to consider using a cold frame for a few weeks.

A simple version of a cold frame is a translucent gallon milk jug with the bottom cut off, you just stick it over the plant. That's a real pain in the long run though since you need at least several of them usually.

While it takes a little construction, a better version is to build a frame with the back higher than the front. Scrap floorboards are ideal since you can use the tongue in groove, you only have to trim the sides at an angle. Then you find an old window sash or old storm window and put it on top. On warm days you prop up the lower end slightly to let air circulate but you close it before dusk to keep the heat of the day trapped inside. The cold frames help the plants get established early and protect them somewhat from nighttime cold (or unseasonably cold days).

The cold frames can help add a few weeks to a growing season which can make a difference between a nice fall harvest and losing everything to the first premature autumn frost.
                    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

I just put the Solo cups with seedlings in low sided boxes. Put em in the sunporch in the evening and put em back out if it is nice in the AM.

Comment

Well, I don't think I'll use string for a trellis again. It tends to bunch together and it's hard to get it even spread so it has good coverage over the plants. I think my planting is done for the spring. Over the weekend I put in two more grape vines, one flame and one ruby red. And then put in four climbing bougainvillas, one next to each pillar along our front entrance, so eventually they'll grow up and over the wood structure spanning our entry, hopefully providing some covering from the sun as well as a nice green and a times flowery entrance to our house. Oh, and put a row of myrtle bushes along one of our back walls to eventually grow up into a nice tall hedge that will provide some privacy on that side of the yard. Now everything just has to get established and ready for the Arizona summer heat/sun. Usually here if yard plants can survive the first summer, they're going to make it.
                        Very well, said.
                        A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Anybody out there use broccoli leaves in any way for eating? We have a bunch of broccoli plants, and thus lots of broccoli leaves, and we had the idea of finding a way to use the broccoli leaves if possible. From a quick google, it sounds like they can be used, though they may not be the easiest thing to cook with and have it taste good. Just curious if anyone here uses them and if so, how?
                          Very well, said.
                          A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Planted Tomatoes and Peppers yesterday, finally. When their is feet of snow on the ground its hard to get going, now its pretty much gone and spring fever has struck
                            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Realizing that I need to get on the ball. Just another thing to try to work in to my already insane list of things to do.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                                Realizing that I need to get on the ball. Just another thing to try to work in to my already insane list of things to do.
                                It makes it tough when your team is in the NCAA's and then the Frozen Four, eh? But that's a good thing!
                                I just gained 6 days that I figured I'd lost. I plan accordingly each year, but this year fishing season can start earlier.
                                'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Working...
                                X