X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Garden Geeks thread

Originally posted by walrus View Post
    My grandfather grew Concords for Welches, god those things are sweet. Wish I had some growing, they are some tasty
    The concord grape jelly is pretty good. My favorite is the red (and a few black) currant jelly I canned back in June.
    Fighting Sioux Forever

Comment

Originally posted by MadTownSioux View Post
      The concord grape jelly is pretty good. My favorite is the red (and a few black) currant jelly I canned back in June.
      (Sorry for replying to my own post) BTW - it's RAINING in the madison area!!!!! First time in about 3 weeks. Don't have to water the garden tomorrow!
      Fighting Sioux Forever

Comment

There are two things that I always associate with the end of summer and the beginning of autumn: the sound of crickets in the evening, and the appearance of flowers on the morning glories. The morning glories again are in the height of their magnificence.
        "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Garden was a total disaster this year. Not one cucumber. I didn't even get parsley to grow.

I did get basil, but I grew that in a pot.

Comment

Will be looking to plant some tomato plants in the near future as the temps are starting to moderate nicely. Wife picked up some various seeds we'll probably try out also. Probably won't do much more than that, for now.
            Originally posted by Priceless
            Good to see you're so reasonable.
            Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
            Very well, said.
            Originally posted by Rover
            A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

We planted our spring garden a few weeks ago. Two nights ago we saw the first little plants popping up. Peas, carrots, onions, and beats are coming out. Still waiting on the potatoes, green beans, zucchini, and cucumbers. The romaine lettuce, spinach, and broccoli we planted back around New Years are all thriving. We've been eating the lettuce and spinach and the broccoli should be ready to start harvesting in the next couple weeks. I need to get a couple trellises built for the green beans and peas.

As for our fall planting, the tomato plants all got zapped by our five days of nights in the low 20s in January (just planted 3 new tomato plants). Pepper plants are just recovering. Kael is going strong.

Probably will try putting in a few sweet potatos in soon and we're toying with the possibility of putting in some grapes.
              Very well, said.
              A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

I've got to order seeds, tough to think about with a foot of snow on the ground. Need to get tomatoes and Peppers going. Not sure what I'm doing for a garden this year. Beans and squash are going to be my biggest crops. I can pick and freeze lots of beans easily, Squash keeps until February and both are "legal"for me to eat
                I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                  I've got to order seeds, tough to think about with a foot of snow on the ground. Need to get tomatoes and Peppers going. Not sure what I'm doing for a garden this year. Beans and squash are going to be my biggest crops. I can pick and freeze lots of beans easily, Squash keeps until February and both are "legal"for me to eat
                  Having the same probelm getting motivated to order. 15 more inches of snow today

Comment

Where do people order seeds and plants from? I got a blueberry plant from Spring Hill Nursery last year, and they have some other stuff I'd like (some cool sedum things), but I'm curious about other companies.

And I'm glad I re-read about the blueberry plant - I don't need two to get it to flower, but it does need to go through a freeze. I had it inside over the winter, so I moved it. Hoping to see some blueberries this summer (well, growing ANYTHING in my garden would be an improvement over last summer). I will also be more prepared for the little ****ers that eat strawberries.

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
                      Where do people order seeds and plants from? I got a blueberry plant from Spring Hill Nursery last year, and they have some other stuff I'd like (some cool sedum things), but I'm curious about other companies.

I get all of my seeds from Jung. Good selection and variety. Their catalogue does a nice job describing everything.

I believe they've been around a long time - my grandparents used to order from them.

http://www.jungseed.com/

Comment

For climbing green beans, I'm getting ready to build a trellis for them to climb up. Any thoughts/input on the best way to construct a trellis?

I've been reading about where you build a frame on the sides and across the top and then run strings down from the top for the green beans to grab onto and grow up. From what I've read, using string makes it easier to harvest due to the flexibility of the hanging string and also to clean up at the end of the season, as you just snip the strings and throw it all away instread of picking dead parts of plants from out of a metal mesh or some such thing.
                        Very well, said.
                        A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

It's hard to think garden with 8" of snow on the raised beds yet, but I am designing an irrigation system out of 3/4" diameter pvc that all I will have to do is plug the hose in, turn it on and walk away.

It's supposed to be 41 today, but's it's not going to crack 40 for the next week.
                          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
                            For climbing green beans, I'm getting ready to build a trellis for them to climb up. Any thoughts/input on the best way to construct a trellis?

I've been reading about where you build a frame on the sides and across the top and then run strings down from the top for the green beans to grab onto and grow up. From what I've read, using string makes it easier to harvest due to the flexibility of the hanging string and also to clean up at the end of the season, as you just snip the strings and throw it all away instread of picking dead parts of plants from out of a metal mesh or some such thing.
                            I've never tried this with green beans but I have done it for other climbing plants (flowers). It works well for those.
                            My Four Favorite teams:
                            RIT and anyone who is beating Canisius
                            Cornell and anyone who is beating Harvard

If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy. - James Madison

I am not afraid of terrorism, and I want the Government to stop being afraid on my behalf. I understand that it will not be possible to stop all terrorist acts. I am not afraid!!!!

Comment

I have my climbing green beans growing on a fence constructed of 2" x 4" welded wire. I have a 4' tall run topped with a 3' run, so it's 7' high by 44' long. Not only do the beans love climbing it, but they're supposed to be planted every 2" so it's perfect for the wire. I also use zip ties to attach a soaker hose to the very base of the fencing, on the opposite side where I plant the beans. For what it's worth, I highly, highly recommend the Fortex beans that I get from Jung's in Wisconsin.

http://www.jungseed.com/dp.asp?pID=0...ilet+Pole+Bean

They are really wonderful, and keep producing until the frost kills them.
                              "This world is your world. Take it easy, but take it." - Woody Guthrie

Comment

I used to do the strings and it works well, except it's time consuming restringing each year.

Now I use plastic coated 2" x 4" wire mesh. The reason... I have 3 boxes with wire trellis's so I can rotate crops annually. I grow my cucumbers vertically on trellis's also. It's not so bad pulling the old growth out. I get most of the big growth off in the fall, put in it in the compost bins, then when the stems are good and dead in the spring, they basically fall right off the wire and I just till it in.

Or, use poles. Go out in the woods and cut some straight 1"-2" diameter hardwood tree branches or saplings. Stick 'em in the ground and plant your beans. Take the poles out of the ground in fall, or wait until spring, and pull the old growth off. Reuse the poles the next year. Quicker than restringing.

I've tried them all and find the wire to be the easiest. It takes some time and material expense to build the trellis so it will last, but once they're done, I've been using the same ones going on 15 years now, with no sign of having to replace. I fasten the wire with galvanized heavy duty staples, all hand nailed.
                                'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Working...
                                X