X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Garden Geeks thread

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
    Great. The bunnies weren't enough, now a pair of deer are in the neighborhood busily eating our garden.
    Carnivore urine. Go pee on the perimeter. Lil did that when he was lil'er and that really helped. Then he decided to pee when ever outdoors and Mr les put a stop to it.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
      Carnivore urine. Go pee on the perimeter. Lil did that when he was lil'er and that really helped. Then he decided to pee when ever outdoors and Mr les put a stop to it.
      Mr les is a party pooper?
      Why do men pee outside? Because we can.

I have posted this deer repellent a few times in the past. Here it is again.
      Beat 2 eggs very well and mix with 1 gallon of water in a spray canister. Spray any plants you don't want the deer to eat. It won't hurt the plants and IT WORKS. The deer will nibble on the plants, but they stop because they don't like the taste of the egg. You can add a few sprinkles of garlic powder to this concoction as well... they don't like garlic either. Reapply after a rainfall.

If you travel and can't be around to reapply the egg concoction, try these. Although not inexpensive, the wireless deer fence works very well.

Unbeknownst to my wife, I had wireless deer fences set up in the garden some years back when I had a big deer problem. My wife was picking veggies one day and she leaned against one.... ZAP! LOL. I heard her scream and yelled over to see what was up. She says, "what the hell was that? It scared the crap out of me" LOL.
      Have had them about 10 years now and they still work. Hardly use them now... the deer don't come around much anymore (they hang out in my neighbors garden now). I put them around my shrubs every fall to keep deer off my shrubs in winter.
      'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Carnivore urine.
        I've got a good coyote urine story. Anyone else ever buy that stuff, besides me? Holy mackerel, it's like buying fancy perfume, like $50. an ounce.

Anyway, I had a very bad deer problem a few years back. The darn deer thought they were my pets. They'd sleep in my front lawn, would stand at the stonewall and watch me mow the lawn as I passed by them 5 feet away (they didn't even flinch). They thought I planted all those nice shrubs, veggies and flowers for them to feast on! HAH... I'LL SHOW THEM! So I go get some coyote urine.

I get home and spread the urine around the entire perimeter of the property. That'll fix 'em... NOT. I go out the next morning and there are deer tracks in all my gardens, they bedded down in a fresh mulch pile I had just had delivered. I'm guessing there were probably 8 -10 deer there overnight. Hell, that wasn't coyote urine, it was 'deer in heat' urine. Went right into the house and called my friend in Maine that farms for a living. She gave me the egg remedy. Them Mainer's sure is smart.
        'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
          Why do men pee outside? Because we can.
          The world is our urinal and we can write our names in the snow! Only a woman named Dot can do that.
          Originally posted by mookie1995
          bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
          Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
          Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

So I better drink a lot this evening so I can go pee around the garden later (after dark so as not scandalize the neighbors).

May try the egg mix too.

Comment

I do this every day, it might help but it sure doesn't stop them. I get my dog over there too but I still have issues. Bullets, electric fence work, pee maybe
              I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Not related to gardening, but it reminds me of my old coon-hunting neighbor who decided to hunt around Dane county. So he makes an enclosure in his back yard for four large dog houses, and in front of each he plants a 3" diameter post for the dog to pizz on. The idea being that the hound will use the post and not the new dog house. The fun part was that old Merl went out the first evening and pizzed on every post himself to give the dogs the right idea. Ah, the good old days.
                "This world is your world. Take it easy, but take it." - Woody Guthrie

Comment

My little garden is pretty much a disaster after the drought. Cucumbers and jalapenos are flowering, but nothing yet. Even the parsley and chives, which usually grow all the time, are sad. Probably should've done a better job of watering - at least we've had rain on and off for the last week or so.

Comment

Our cucumbers have been infested with small yellow caterpillers who are merrily noshing all the leaves. Outside of wearing rubber gloves and squishing each one we find by hand, any suggestions on how either to get rid of them, or at least contain them so they don't spread any further?

Meanwhile, the peppers are doing quite well, and fingers crossed! no blight (yet?) on the tomatoes.
                    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

I don't know what's going on with my green beans. Tons of vines, lots and lots of blossoms, and virtually no beans. We watered very regularly through the drought, and have been getting good rain recently. My wife picked some up from a truck farmer and he said they had 400 feet of green beans. His most recent picking was only 2 pounds, so it's not just me. I think it has to be something to do with the drought. Maybe whatever pollinates the blossoms took a hit??? Frustrating, because there's nothing else in the garden I love like those beans.
                      "This world is your world. Take it easy, but take it." - Woody Guthrie

Comment

Originally posted by Carter View Post
                        I don't know what's going on with my green beans. Tons of vines, lots and lots of blossoms, and virtually no beans. We watered very regularly through the drought, and have been getting good rain recently. My wife picked some up from a truck farmer and he said they had 400 feet of green beans. His most recent picking was only 2 pounds, so it's not just me. I think it has to be something to do with the drought. Maybe whatever pollinates the blossoms took a hit??? Frustrating, because there's nothing else in the garden I love like those beans.

A real desperate measure is to use q-tips to take pollen from the stamens and spread it on the pistils......I've never done it on beans, though. tried it on squash and pumpkins and it worked.

picked about a dozen hot peppers earlier in the week. tomatoes looking good so far (fingers crossed!). our bush beans continue apace. I don't know how you folks with pole beans find the time to pick them all! Our 3' x 5' bean patch has me out there two or three times a week!

and for visual appeal, the zinnias look great. It's fun to sit in the shade once the sun swings around, sip a cold one, and watch the butterflies and occasional hummingbird flit around.
                        "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

The beans are still doing great; wife threatens to pull them out we have so many.

The tomatoes are still OK; we canned 6 quarts this weekend.

We picked all the concord grapes we had and made 16 jelly jars of jelly.

Sunday I picked the first (biggest and ripest) watermelon; we tried it today and it was GREAT. We've got about 6 more, including one moon-and-stars variety. That plant didn't do as well.

The peppers are very slow this year, and we might not get any more. Carrots are pretty good. Onions are very good.
                          Fighting Sioux Forever

Comment

BIG tomatoes still, and lots of them.

Recently planted fall crops of beets, spinach and turnip. Also sowed more summer and zucchini squash seeds in mid August. I may be late planting the squash. Hopefully we'll get some before first frost.

Comment

Originally posted by MadTownSioux View Post
                              We picked all the concord grapes we had and made 16 jelly jars of jelly.
                              My grandfather grew Concords for Welches, god those things are sweet. Wish I had some growing, they are some tasty
                              I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Dam squirrels are eating the tomatoes again!

Comment

Working...
                                X