Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Garden Geeks thread

Originally posted by Carter View Post
    Our tomatoes have been getting blight for years and years. So severe that by the time we're getting ripe fruit, there's barely a leaf left on the plants. The commercial grower down the road says it comes in on the air, and that weekly spraying is the only way to prevent it. So this year, for the first time (and not nearly as regularly as we should) we sprayed them to prevent blight. And unbelievably, we had virtually none. It worked so much better than I thought it would. It will be standard practive in the future, I'll tell you that.
    What do you use? Is it organic?

Comment

My garden did not do well this year. Got a few cucumbers, and chives, lavender and parsley. Nothing else grew much. Planted a bunch of basil and none of it grew. On the plus side, the black chokeberry shrub I planted has berries and the leaves are turning red, so I am pleased with that.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
        What do you use? Is it organic?
        We used Daconil Fungicide in a liquid concentrate, and I'd be shocked if it was organic. All I know is that it worked really well.
        "This world is your world. Take it easy, but take it." - Woody Guthrie

Comment

Originally posted by Carter View Post
          We used Daconil Fungicide in a liquid concentrate, and I'd be shocked if it was organic. All I know is that it worked really well.
          I can't put chemical swill in my food. Can't seem to actively do it. I know they do it for the food in the store but actually doing it myself- can't get there.

Comment

I can't put chemical swill in my food. Can't seem to actively do it. I know they do it for the food in the store but actually doing it myself- can't get there.
            It's probably because I don't eat tomatoes, my wife does!
            "This world is your world. Take it easy, but take it." - Woody Guthrie

Comment

At least you'd know what was on it, buying at the store you have no idea.
              I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Tomatoes got blight.
                We used to have problems with blight. Our local nursery, told us to move the tomatoes every year in the garden, as blight stays in the soil and whenever you water or it rains the blight gets washed up on the plants. It seemed to work but we eventually ended up running out of places to move the tomatoes. We started to put washed sand (concrete producers have it) around each plant, and haven't had a problem with blight since.

Comment

Originally posted by o2bsioux View Post
                  We used to have problems with blight. Our local nursery, told us to move the tomatoes every year in the garden, as blight stays in the soil and whenever you water or it rains the blight gets washed up on the plants. It seemed to work but we eventually ended up running out of places to move the tomatoes. We started to put washed sand (concrete producers have it) around each plant, and haven't had a problem with blight since.
                  I bought pots and put them in a new place. They got blight faster than the post that were in the old place

Comment

I bought pots and put them in a new place. They got blight faster than the post that were in the old place
                    My parents practiced an 8 year rotation, nothing in the same place for 8 years. They had alot of space to do this, you don't, not sure what you do in that case. I'd say no tomatoes for a few years, maybe no other nightshade plants either???

Just dug my row of red taters, nice organic potatoes, best I've had in years. Picked all my squash, lousy squash year. Last year I was eating squash into february, this year I might make thanksgiving.

Only things left, carrots, beets and chard. Think I'm going to cover them with leaves once its gets below freezing every night and dig them up in the spring or maybe in the winter, hopefully there will be no frost with the leaves and whatever snow we get. I had an old timer tell me, best carrots ever if you do this

Comment

Just dug some carrots, wow are they sweet

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                        Just dug some carrots, wow are they sweet
                        Been looking at my sad garden. Need a new one in a different spot. Mr is not playing yet.

Comment

Time to think about gardening. My garden didn't do very well last year, so hopefully it's a rebound year. I am looking forward to my lilacs flowering again, after I cut them too late and got 1 flower last summer. Lots of buds on them.

I bought one of these: Top Hat Blueberry Kit. We'll see how it goes - I don't have sunny spots where I can plant, but I can easily keep a container in a sunny spot.

I've also seen some interesting pictures of "gutter gardens" - might try that. I don't have a lot of ground space, but there's plenty of space on my patio fence. Seems like keeping it watered and making sure it doesn't fall down would be the biggest challenges.
                          Last edited by jen; 02-07-2012, 06:54 AM.

Comment

My wife and I just bought a house with a nice big backyard with lots of space for gardening, etc. The house already had two small orange trees that should be giving fruit soon, and we're adding lemon, grapefruit, apple, and peach trees. When we get around to it, we'll have one corner of the yard be our garden, with raised beds, etc. There's a guy here in Phoenix called the Urban Gardener, and we may take a class from him on how to set up a really good backyard garden. Fun stuff!
                            Originally posted by Priceless
                            Good to see you're so reasonable.
                            Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
                            Very well, said.
                            Originally posted by Rover
                            A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
                              Time to think about gardening. My garden didn't do very well last year, so hopefully it's a rebound year. I am looking forward to my lilacs flowering again, after I cut them too late and got 1 flower last summer. Lots of buds on them.
                              Most lilacs (ours anyway) take two years to flower after being trimmed.

Comment

I need to order seeds, but way too early to plant even indoors for me. About the first of March Tomatos and Peppers will get started. Not sure how thats going to work with us in FLA for the frozen four. Hopefully mom in law will stay here and keep them alive

Comment

Working...
                                X