Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Garden Geeks thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: Garden Geeks thread

    Originally posted by bostonewe View Post
    I think that will be next year's plan. I am awaiting permission to dig up the death bush in my backyard plot (I'm not sure if I need permission from the Condo Association, but I figure better to ask permission in this case). I will probably enrich the soil and then plant in that bed next year. Whatever bush is there now is gross - it's growing like crazy (I didn't prune it last year because I didn't know how). It has tiny yellow flowers that have all bloomed and died and the dead blooms smell like rot. I aggressively cut it back already, but I'd like to just dig it out at the roots and start fresh.
    It will all be here. Probably bigger

    Comment


    • Re: Garden Geeks thread

      Originally posted by theprofromdover View Post
      Short term, try tossing a bunch of mothballs under the shed. Long term, wait until late summer and bury a fence down 12” around the shed. A pellet gun is easier and cheaper. ��
      Back when I lived in town, I used to have to employ the ole Crosman 760 at very very close range, and directly between the eyes, to obtain the desired results... But, as we all know, the whistle-pigs are able critters, and don't give up on life easily. I camped-out right next to their hidey-holes for hours, and still failed to deliver the coup de grace at times.(Chuck fever, I suppose.)

      Since 2015 I've been where I could discharge a .22. and that sure works better. Shot 8 of the little ******** before anything even came up this year. But, there's always another woodchuck coming down the pike.

      So, we decided that maybe a fence would be easier (and less gory). Got some of those metal posts with the hooks on them, and a couple hundred feet of fruit tree netting to string along it. Left about a foot of it along the outside, weighted with rocks.

      So far, so good. (And the deer and rabbits and turkies have all laid-off, too.)
      Last edited by Fishman'81; 07-23-2019, 11:18 PM.

      Comment


      • Re: Garden Geeks thread

        Are turkeys really a problem? We have tons of them in my neighborhood and never had an issue.
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

        Comment


        • Re: Garden Geeks thread

          Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
          Are turkeys really a problem? We have tons of them in my neighborhood and never had an issue.
          They do attack people. My wife was chased for quite a while until she was able to chance down a maintenance truck to help her get away. Nasty creatures.

          Comment


          • Re: Garden Geeks thread

            Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
            Back when I lived in town, I used to have to employ the ole Crosman 760 at very very close range, and directly between the eyes, to obtain the desired results... But, as we all know, the whistle-pigs are able critters, and don't give up on life easily. I camped-out right next to their hidey-holes for hours, and still failed to deliver the coup de grace at times.(Chuck fever, I suppose.)

            Since 2015 I've been where I could discharge a .22. and that sure works better. Shot 8 of the little ******** before anything even came up this year. But, there's always another woodchuck coming down the pike.

            So, we decided that maybe a fence would be easier (and less gory). Got some of those metal posts with the hooks on them, and a couple hundred feet of fruit tree netting to string along it. Left about a foot of it along the outside, weighted with rocks.

            So far, so good. (And the deer and rabbits and turkies have all laid-off, too.)
            We put the black net fencing draped on and over the hardware cloth fencing and zip tied it at intervals. We then put in tall green poles and put further black fencing around each raised bed. We are still picking lettuce. Picked my first green beans and cuke today. Tons of tomatoes coming. Fingers crossed

            Comment


            • Re: Garden Geeks thread

              Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
              Are turkeys really a problem? We have tons of them in my neighborhood and never had an issue.
              We have turkeys nesting in the Back 40 regularly, and we actually enjoy having them here... But the hens and poults will devour bean and corn seedlings in the garden as if it was manna from Heaven. (As in, one very short morning session.) They seem to leave the other crops alone, though.

              Again, the flimsy fence is working this time around. It's a cheap and effective.

              So far, nothing is in there, aside from the GD cabbage butterflies. But they seem to do (mostly) cosmetic damage here. We harvested a ton of cabbage last year, butterflies or not. Peeled-off a few outer leaves, and we were good.

              Comment


              • Re: Garden Geeks thread

                Florida. War on Drugs? Nah
                War on Poverty? Nope!
                War on Terror? Not a chance.

                DEATH TO LIZARD!!!

                https://www.westernjournal.com/ct/fl...ever-possible/
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids
                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

                ”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

                Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

                I want to live forever. So far, so good.

                Comment


                • Re: Garden Geeks thread

                  We ate our first harvest of green beans. Yay. ALso a few cukes. More tomatoes than should be possible but all are green still.

                  Comment


                  • Re: Garden Geeks thread

                    Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                    We ate our first harvest of green beans. Yay. ALso a few cukes. More tomatoes than should be possible but all are green still.
                    Had them tonight as well, and the wax beans too. Stuffed bell peppers, fresh cukes, Boston lettuce.

                    Thing is, it was all at my father-in-law's, who's a competitive gardener and always plants in early May.

                    He always out-does me, but I can live with it. Good eats are good eats.

                    I'll catch-up soon enough.

                    Comment


                    • Re: Garden Geeks thread

                      I have lots of tomatoes. But there is no sign of them turning red. Anything I can do besides wait?

                      Comment


                      • Re: Garden Geeks thread

                        Food coloring?
                        Code:
                        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                        Originally posted by SanTropez
                        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                        Originally posted by Kepler
                        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

                        Comment


                        • Re: Garden Geeks thread

                          Originally posted by jen View Post
                          I have lots of tomatoes. But there is no sign of them turning red. Anything I can do besides wait?
                          Nope.

                          Comment


                          • Re: Garden Geeks thread

                            Originally posted by jen View Post
                            I have lots of tomatoes. But there is no sign of them turning red. Anything I can do besides wait?
                            You can pick them while green, and put them in a closed paper bag. Many will ripen that way, and adding a slice of apple will speed that process along.

                            It hasn't been a good season for tomatoes in the NE, but what with the early-blight and the typical weather here, it's what we got most seasons.

                            Green tomatoes are great for pickling in a sweet/hot mustard brine, though. Try that, too, and add some cukes, peppers, cauliflower and onions.

                            Feckin' delish!
                            Last edited by Fishman'81; 09-03-2019, 10:38 PM.

                            Comment


                            • Re: Garden Geeks thread

                              Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                              You can pick them while green, and put them in a closed paper bag. Many will ripen that way, and adding a slice of apple will speed that process along.

                              It hasn't been a good season for tomatoes in the NE, but what with the early-blight and the typical weather here, it's what we got most seasons.

                              Green tomatoes are great for pickling in a sweet/hot mustard brine, though. Try that, too, and add some cukes, peppers, cauliflower and onions.

                              Feckin' delish!
                              they ripen but they don't seem to taste as good. For the first year in many we managed to get a lot of tomatoes, cukes. Lost the Summer squash plants- again- and the beans really struggled. Weird. They are usually the only thing that makes it.

                              Comment


                              • Re: Garden Geeks thread

                                Made another batch of gazpacho with tomatoes and cucumbers from the garden tonight. Great year for tomatoes and cuc's this year- although I think that's more a factor of getting the growing system to be better. This is the first real year of no-dig self watering container growing. And it's working great.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X