Garden Geeks thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Garden Geeks thread

Harvested six pounds of tomatillos today. Spent the morning husking them (the downside of tomatillos). Will roast them and whip up a batch of salsa as soon as the habaneros are nice and orange. I love this time of year!

Comment

Lots of cherry tomatoes are on, have been eating for a few weeks now. I ate 1 beefsteak a few weeks ago, finally some more are almost ready, as well as the romas. I'm doing an aggressive pruning plan on them, I do believe it's called Missouri pruning. At this point I think it's having a positive impact on production. The best part is no cages, just a stake in the middle with a cloth strip tying the stalk to the stakes. Right now the cherry tomatoes are 5 to 6 feet tall. Brussel sprouts are very short, the cukes are not producing much, the jalapenos and peppers are doing great. We've had a kinda cooler summer here (SE WI) with a dry spell right now.
      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Cheever the groundhog wins. Denuded all the beans, summer squash plants and cukes. Only thing left is tomatoes and I am sure they are next

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
          Cheever the groundhog wins. Denuded all the beans, summer squash plants and cukes. Only thing left is tomatoes and I am sure they are next

That sucks. We finally get some needed rain, hopefully my squash keeps going. Its about the only thing left besides tomatoes and peppers. Weeds are unreal
          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

I have a beautiful butternut squash coming out of the compost heap. Maybe I will reap something.....

Comment

Rabbits ate everything but the tomatoes of which we have way too *ing many now. Mrs goldy bought some new pepper plants at the farmers market a few weeks back and I put cages around them to keep the rabbits out but the plants are doing NOTHING.

Comment

planted some watermelon and pumpkins a couple days ago. And I've got an order in for some Sonoran and Ajo Rojo garlic that we will plant and hopefully reuse some in each future year to plant again and have a self-sustaining supply of garlic. It's that time in summer where many plants are looking rather stressed, but in a month or so the weather will break and at this point it looks like our new plantings from last winter should all survive their first summer.
                Originally posted by Priceless
                Good to see you're so reasonable.
                Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
                Very well, said.
                Originally posted by Rover
                A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Wow, and you had an armed guard. What chance do the rest of us have?

Comment

Originally posted by CLS View Post
                    Wow, and you had an armed guard. What chance do the rest of us have?
                    The armed guard has to work sometimes. The little ba5tard (or actually I should say the big one because it is now the size of a sow!!) hears lil les' car go down the driveway and it pops right out like clockwork. Infuriating.

Comment

The armed guard has to work sometimes. The little ba5tard (or actually I should say the big one because it is now the size of a sow!!) hears lil les' car go down the driveway and it pops right out like clockwork. Infuriating.
                      So what you're saying is that you should have him all set up in a good sniper position, and then go take his car to the store to go get some milk while he takes out the Varmit-Cong?
                      bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Actually did that the other day- he pinged it twice while I was gone.

Comment

Actually did that the other day- he pinged it twice while I was gone.
                          He needs a bigger gun so he kills it instead of pinging it. Just a regular old .22 should do it, hardly louder than a snap. Could even use a short round and be subsonic, if he's close enough it'd still kill. Hell, even a good pellet gun would kill a groundhog if it's accurate. I know I finished enough ground squirrels with a pellet gun in my day. That or a trap. Can even live trap it and relocate it to New Hampshire, or a river bottom.

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                            He needs a bigger gun so he kills it instead of pinging it. Just a regular old .22 should do it, hardly louder than a snap. Could even use a short round and be subsonic, if he's close enough it'd still kill. Hell, even a good pellet gun would kill a groundhog if it's accurate. I know I finished enough ground squirrels with a pellet gun in my day. That or a trap. Can even live trap it and relocate it to New Hampshire, or a river bottom.
                            This. pinging it hasn't driven it away. time for termination. shoot, shovel and shut up.
                            bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Pellets haven't done it. Need a license for a 22.

Comment

• Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                                Pellets haven't done it. Need a license for a 22.
                                Trap.

Comment

Working...
                                X