Garden Geeks thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garden Geeks thread

The old thread is gone. Resurrecting the topic.

Tomatoes coming. Beans flowering. Mounds of lettuce. Finally got the mulch on most of the gahdens.

Peas got some kind of disease and never produced. Died before they were ready. No idea why.

Must have gone on a daylilly rampage at some point that I forgot. Have all sorts that I don't remember buying but are flowering sequentially. I think someone gave me a bunch and I just threw them in.

Mahoneys had a naughty table- clearance- Monarda, mexican Hat, Astrantia for 2.50$ usually 15$, , Heuchera for 5. I went a little nuts.

My body is not as young as I thought it was. How smart was I to book a massage for tomorrow????

Re: Garden Geeks thread

Cucumbers, leeks, jalapenos and poblano peppers doing well. Chives, parsley, lavender and lemon verbena are all big, too. I really like growing the cucumbers on a trellis much better than them taking over all the ground in the garden.

Basil not doing well in the ground. I transplanted some to a pot.

It's been really dry here, but we finally got some rain this morning.
    Last edited by jen; 07-11-2011, 01:35 PM.

Comment

I had something, I suspect a deer, eat all of the leaves off of about half of my green bean plants. But besides that everything (beans, peas, squash, cukes, zuchinni and tomatoes) are growing well especially considering the little amount of rain we have had in the past month.
      My Four Favorite teams:
      RIT and anyone who is beating Canisius
      Cornell and anyone who is beating Harvard

If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy. - James Madison

I am not afraid of terrorism, and I want the Government to stop being afraid on my behalf. I understand that it will not be possible to stop all terrorist acts. I am not afraid!!!!

Comment

Froze a bunch of snow peas today, better than last year when I got none. Kind of late for peas especially with this weather but I'll take them. Tomatos look fine, squash looks ok except for weeds. anyone want to come weed my garden
        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

My salsa garden is doing fine so far. I think the tomatoes are suffering a bit from the heat, so I'll have to watch that. Also, I forgot how big tomatillos get and planted them too close to the tomatoes. The jalapenos are coming in before everything else, which I kind of expected.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
            Froze a bunch of snow peas today, better than last year when I got none. Kind of late for peas especially with this weather but I'll take them. Tomatos look fine, squash looks ok except for weeds. anyone want to come weed my garden
            Lost all the peas and never tasted one. Summer squash is producing-6 in 2 days, picked our first beans yesterday. Tomatoes are not ready yet but if the chippies don't get them wow!

PS ifyou find the sucker to weed your garden, mine is next.

Comment

Just picked blueberries, never seen so many Japanese beetles. They have become the scourge of my garden. Never had any until a few years ago. Another thing I'm seeing this year that I've never seen here before is snails, slugs yes but never snails. Blueberry cake is in the works, the rest in the freezer

Comment

Just picked blueberries, never seen so many Japanese beetles. They have become the scourge of my garden. Never had any until a few years ago. Another thing I'm seeing this year that I've never seen here before is snails, slugs yes but never snails. Blueberry cake is in the works, the rest in the freezer
                The guy down the street is complaining about being inundated with snails too. Weirdly I have had very few slugs this yr? No idea why. Snails- well, I am not saying anything.

Comment

never seen so many Japanese beetles
                  I have 4 traps out; one I replace EVERY DAY!!! I know I'm probably just drawing them in from all of the neighborhood, but I have to do something to keep them off the Grapes/raspberries/currant bushes/hops/roses/etc. Basically, everything in my yard attracts them. I threw 12 bags of their dead carcasses into the trash this morning.

I've been picking about a pint of raspberries a day; got tired of raspberry sorbet and already made raspberry jam, so I'm freezing them now. Didn't have much of a currant crop but got a small batch of jelly. Tomatoes are very slow but finally coming on. This week we'll have the first corn on the cob of the year. Hops are lookng good.

Both of my beans (bush and pole) were totally wiped out by rabbits. I guess my fall project will be a better fence.
                  Fighting Sioux Forever

Comment

Originally posted by MadTownSioux View Post
                    Both of my beans (bush and pole) were totally wiped out by rabbits. I guess my fall project will be a better fence.
                    I kind of do overkill with green beans, growing the climbers on a fence 7' high and 44' long. Lots of beans. My rabbit population crashed and virtually disappeared for about 5 years, but last year I saw a couple and this year quite a few. I was worried about the bean plants, so I just put a 2' high poultry wire fence all around the big bean fence, leaving about a foot of space between. So far, it's worked perfectly, and I've had no critters eating the beans. However, those lousy beatles have made lacework out of the topmost leaves. I don't know what to do, as I really resist spraying chemicals on the beans.
                    "This world is your world. Take it easy, but take it." - Woody Guthrie

Comment

Picked about 2 gals of beans today. Yikes. THe yellow ones look like they were trying to make seed. They had a dry spell.

Got home to find a BIG groundhog in the middle of my garden. It chewed the bottom of my oriental lilies and over they went. I got home too late to stop the carnage. I need a b-b gun NOW!

Comment

Blueberry and beetle or blueberry and slug cake?

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                          Blueberry and beetle or blueberry and slug cake?
                          I'd go with Blueberry and Slug; beetles are too crunchy for me.
                          Fighting Sioux Forever

Comment

Originally posted by Carter View Post
                            I don't know what to do, as I really resist spraying chemicals on the beans.
                            I don't spray either but My dad left some DDT behind and its looking better and better

Comment

I don't spray either but My dad left some DDT behind and its looking better and better
                              Reminds me of my good old neighbor/mentor who loves to laugh about how much agent orange he sprayed over us back in the day. No point in telling him that it now looks like a trigger for diabetes, which I have. First, he'd say it was BS anyway, and secondly, nobody knew back then. Just as legal as your dad's DDT. Which, come to think of it, my old neighbor/mentor also loved to use, saying they never had as many pheasants as they did back when they were using DDT.
                              "This world is your world. Take it easy, but take it." - Woody Guthrie

Comment

Working...
                              X