Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Diesel car considerations

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
    Still- that would be more the MD or HD trucks, and not passenger cars....
    Yeah, still MD and HD trucks, which is what I have experience in. The basic strategies are the same, and I try to keep up on the new technologies from different companies, but its tough now that I'm working on Nat. Gas and Alt. Fuels instead of diesels.

As I mentioned before, when talking more on the passenger side of things, I have more information there, but its proprietary. You probably know what I'm referring to, being in the industry, but I really can't talk about it, since I have no idea what is public knowledge at this point.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
      Yeah, still MD and HD trucks, which is what I have experience in. The basic strategies are the same, and I try to keep up on the new technologies from different companies, but its tough now that I'm working on Nat. Gas and Alt. Fuels instead of diesels.

As I mentioned before, when talking more on the passenger side of things, I have more information there, but its proprietary. You probably know what I'm referring to, being in the industry, but I really can't talk about it, since I have no idea what is public knowledge at this point.
      Pretty much. But I can say it's expensive. Possible, but expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
        Pretty much. But I can say it's expensive. Possible, but expensive.
        There's no doubt about that.
        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
          I know at one point VW had to stop selling diesels in Mass. because of emissions requirements. But if you search dealers, they have turbo-diesels in inventory today.

So there must be something else going on. Are the U.S. diesels "special?" That might explain why other manufacturers dont bring them over. VW has enough history, and their TDI brand has enough recognition that it's worthwhile for them to make separate diesels for the U.S. market -- while others who would be starting from scratch (Subie?) aren't willing to make the leap...
          Low sulfur diesel is whats going on, until then VW Diesels weren't legal to sell anywhere that had california emissions, Maine being one of those states and I guess Mass is also.
          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
            Low sulfur diesel is whats going on, until then VW Diesels weren't legal to sell anywhere that had california emissions, Maine being one of those states and I guess Mass is also.
            Ahh, that's it.

If I remember right, it's all of New England. I had looked into a TDI Golf/Jetta before buying my current car. I thought the dealer was just giving me a line of BS (shocking, right?) because he had no TDIs in stock. Nope. I checked 4 states before giving up (not that I had ever figured out how I would register the thing anyway).
            1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

You can't get ULSD in New England? That can't be true, over the road trucks need ULSD, and I'm sure that there are trucks up there.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I was referring to why you couldn't buy a diesel in New England 6 years ago.
                1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Wow, you guys are fast!

ScottM, unh_hockey, amherstblackbear, alfablue and walrus -- thanks very much for your input.

bigblue_dl, extra thanks to you and your expertise. That was really fascinating information.

We don't arrive back in the US until mid-July, and there are plenty of other issues taking up our time until then, so I won't have any decisions or first-hand impressions or anything for a while. That means this thread will go away pretty quickly. But I printed out the whole thing, to keep handy and to use, and I want you to know I appreciate the time you took. Thanks.
                  Bugs Bunny - 96
                  Gas House Gorillas - 95

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                    You can't get ULSD in New England? That can't be true, over the road trucks need ULSD, and I'm sure that there are trucks up there.
                    its a federal mandate so I hope so. V W cars wouldn't pass california emissions until it came out a few years ago
                    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                      its a federal mandate so I hope so. V W cars wouldn't pass california emissions until it came out a few years ago
                      Ok, that makes more sense.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Working...
                      X