X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nice Planet 2011

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    Yes. But either you have chosen to ignore it, or don't realize that one exception opens the door for other exceptions, leading to a mess, which is why the school has the "no exceptions" rule in the first place.
    I just disagree with how big a problem it would be. Let's just assume we can get by this potential legal quagmire, what would be so wrong with having some exceptions? I ask again, who would be hurt, and how?
    Last edited by Old Pio; 06-10-2011, 07:38 PM.
    2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
      By George, he's got it. "Anytime?" Really? And I "belittle and insult," but you and the rest of the draft dodgers don't? C'mon, man up, why don't you? From my perspective, it seems like you high minded libs resort to"belittling and insulting" about as much as I do. You've just convinced yourselves when you do it, it isn't "belittling and insulting," it's fair comment. And if you've got "friends in the millitary" it just shows how open minded they are. All of you anti-military types have been lining up, foursquare behind the little rules at some stupid high school. Why man we can't have any deviations from the rules. Why, that's inconcievable. What hypocritical twaddle.
      Sometimes you have some good points but they way you present yourself is so obnoxious I wonder if it isn't an attempt at a caricature of your real self. It seems impossible that you are actually like this in real life. Thankfully my friends actually are literate enough to read what is written rather than assume what they want, group people into categories, dismiss them and generally spout off about stuff without critically thinking about any of it. So, I guess they hate America too.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
        Sometimes you have some good points but they way you present yourself is so obnoxious I wonder if it isn't an attempt at a caricature of your real self. It seems impossible that you are actually like this in real life. Thankfully my friends actually are literate enough to read what is written rather than assume what they want, group people into categories, dismiss them and generally spout off about stuff without critically thinking about any of it. So, I guess they hate America too.
        Yup, anybody who disagrees with you is either stupid or a whack job. The very essence of ******* argumentation. You and your "literate" friends and the rest of the sisters in the convent whining about my "style" deserve each other. But I'd recommend cutting back on the "self righteous" just a bit, it goes right to your hips.
        Last edited by Old Pio; 06-10-2011, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Graduation ceremonies are not about one person's individual achievements. They are about celebrating the entire class' accomplishment of graduating high school. It's great that she's proud of her accomplishments, as she should be, but this day is about academic achievement. The class ahead of me had a guy join the Marines after his junior year and go to boot camp over the summer. Want to know what he wore to graduation? Red cap and gown, like everyone else.
          Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
          Originally posted by Quizmire
          mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
          MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
          MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
          I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
            Graduation ceremonies are not about one person's individual achievements. They are about celebrating the entire class' accomplishment of graduating high school. It's great that she's proud of her accomplishments, as she should be, but this day is about academic achievement. The class ahead of me had a guy join the Marines after his junior year and go to boot camp over the summer. Want to know what he wore to graduation? Red cap and gown, like everyone else.
            I ask again. Who is hurt by recognizing (in some way) either before or during the ceremony, graduates who have special accomplishments? Don't most high schools honor valedictorians? The guy in the class ahead of you made his own decision, but he might have wanted to wear his uni to graduation. By the time she comes back for her 25th reunion, many of this young ladies classmates will be dead from drug overdoses or shootings, in prison, or on the run from the law. I like the earlier suggestion, honor her in uniform, then let her walk with everyone else in cap and gown. But the "rules are rules" crowd wouldn't countenance any compromise on this point, because she wants to wear the uniform of her country. A burqa would be another matter altogether. It's just facinating to me the intensity of the opposition to this young lady and what she wants to do (to this point we've had over 60 posts on the subject). And I'm impelled to the conclusion that much of that opposition has nothing to do with graduation protocols and everything to do with opposition to or dislike of the military.
            Last edited by Old Pio; 06-10-2011, 09:05 PM.

Comment

But I'd recommend cutting back on the "self righteous" just a bit, it goes right to your hips.
              {RingRing}Oh, Kettle! Pot here.
              bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
              SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
              All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
              A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

The problem is in defining special accomplishments. What is a special accomplishment to one person, is an abomination to another. Two perfectly sane people disagreeing.

And this is NOT a pro/con military issue, Pio. If I saw this young woman in her uniform would not salute her. I would thank her for her service with a genuine smile and a firm handshake. Thanks to young people like her we are free to have these discussions.
                bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
                  {RingRing}Oh, Kettle! Pot here.
                  Let's all just agree what we are and what we do and have the *******s stop posing as Albert Schweitzer. Paraphrasing Geroge C. Scott in Patton, "I admit I'm a prima donna, the problem is Montgomery won't admit he's a prima donna too."
                  Last edited by Old Pio; 06-10-2011, 09:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
                    The problem is in defining special accomplishments. What is a special accomplishment to one person, is an abomination to another. Two perfectly sane people disagreeing.

And this is NOT a pro/con military issue, Pio. If I saw this young woman in her uniform would not salute her. I would thank her for her service with a genuine smile and a firm handshake. Thanks to young people like her we are free to have these discussions.
                    Well, screw any American (obviously not you) who thinks being a Marine is an "abomination." I just don't agree that coming up with a list of exceptions would require the efforts of the Warren Commission or a huge legal staff. We can (or should) all agree this young lady is deserving of our respect and gratitude. And if all our posting here is not a "Pro/con" military issue (anything's possible) then we have far more people obsessive compulsive about observing the protocols of high school graduations than I had thought possible. Reminds me of Funky Winkerbean, the cartoon kid who while hall monitor, had a .30 caliber water cooled machine gun handy, in case anybody broke "the rules."
                    Last edited by Old Pio; 06-10-2011, 09:54 PM.

Comment

Just because it's a HS shouldn't matter. It's an institution, an entity, an organization, however you want to name it, that made the rule. A rule they have the right to make, since it doesn't break any laws, doesn't discriminate, etc etc.

Do many of us think there should be certain exceptions? Yes. Do many of us think the HS is correct in their ruling (since there are no exceptions in the rule itself)? Yes. Are many of us disappointed in this rule, but we understand the reasoning? Yes.

There's no anti-military agenda. No lefty-righty political agenda in disagreeing/agreeing with the HS ruling.
                      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Just because it's a HS shouldn't matter. It's an institution, an entity, an organization, however you want to name it, that made the rule. A rule they have the right to make, since it doesn't break any laws, doesn't discriminate, etc etc.

Do many of us think there should be certain exceptions? Yes. Do many of us think the HS is correct in their ruling (since there are no exceptions in the rule itself)? Yes. Are many of us disappointed in this rule, but we understand the reasoning? Yes.

There's no anti-military agenda. No lefty-righty political agenda in disagreeing/agreeing with the HS ruling.
                        Good thing it was Luther and not you when Tetzel came through selling those indulgences otherwise we'd all still be eating fish on Friday.
                        Last edited by Old Pio; 06-11-2011, 02:04 AM.

Comment

Good thing it was Luther and not you when Tetzel came through selling those indulgences otherwise we'd all still be eating fish on Friday.
                          I tried giving you the benefit of the doubt, but unfortunately, it is to no avail. And you (not solely) are the reason I try and stay out of any sort of thread like this. Black and white. There is no gray. There is no "I respect your opinion, but I disagree because of 'rational reason 1' and 'rational reason 2' etc."
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

I tried giving you the benefit of the doubt, but unfortunately, it is to no avail. And you (not solely) are the reason I try and stay out of any sort of thread like this. Black and white. There is no gray. There is no "I respect your opinion, but I disagree because of 'rational reason 1' and 'rational reason 2' etc."
                            I've tried to disagree with you as respectfully and "rationally" as I can. You've repeated your primary point several times and while I understand it, I still disagree. What do you suggest I do? I have expressed my point of view repeatedly. You obviously disagree. So? Surely you didn't get your feelings hurt by the reference to Luther and Tetzel. That would be unfortunate, since I was just trying to class up the joint.
                            Last edited by Old Pio; 06-11-2011, 04:54 AM.

Comment

North Allegheny HS relented, and allowed an exception for Lindsay Starr to walk in her uniform last night. She decided against it and walked in a cap and gown.

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2011/...ol-graduation/
                              Last edited by Old Pio; 06-11-2011, 06:55 PM.

Comment

North Allegheny HS relented, and allowed an exception for Lindsay Starr to walk in her uniform last night. She decided against it and walked in a cap and gown.

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2011/...ol-graduation/
                                How dare she not walk in her military uniform! She is clearly a disgrace to her service and hates America.

Comment

Working...
                                X