Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nice Planet 2011

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: Nice Planet 2011

    Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
    It's not basically profiling. It IS profiling. It's behavior profiling. That isn't the problem. The problem is it requires highly trained, probably highly paid people to do this. Who's going to pay for it? The airlines? The government? HA!
    I should have said that the politicians/media would refer to it as not "behavior profiling" but rather simply "profiling." And now watch the public protest and raise a ruckus.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

    Comment


    • Re: Nice Planet 2011

      Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
      I should have said that the politicians/media would refer to it as not "behavior profiling" but rather simply "profiling." And now watch the public protest and raise a ruckus.
      No, they wouldn't.

      This is America. It's all about $$$$.
      Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
      Originally posted by Quizmire
      mns, this is why i love you.

      Originally posted by Markt
      MNS - forking genius.

      Originally posted by asterisk hat
      MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

      Originally posted by hockeybando
      I am a fan of MNS.

      Comment


      • Re: Nice Planet 2011

        Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
        No, they wouldn't.

        This is America. It's all about $$$$.
        Who wouldn't what?

        If the FAA came out with this plan, I guarantee the politicians would go ballistic about this "profiling," twisting the actual facts about it. And the public would eat it up. And then it wouldn't happen.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

        Comment


        • Re: Nice Planet 2011

          Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
          It's not basically profiling. It IS profiling. It's behavior profiling. That isn't the problem. The problem is it requires highly trained, probably highly paid people to do this. Who's going to pay for it? The airlines? The government? HA!
          Who pays for all those dimwits in the airports, and their equipment, and their benefits? That would be a place to start. A cost benefit analysis could reveal an Israeli type system would be cheaper overall, since you wouldn't necessarily be inconveniencing everyone. Training would be a problem. As would recruiting and hiring the right kind of people. However, this is do-able. Israel is doing it. It's at least worth exploring.

          It's certainly true that irresponsible people would try to make this an issue of "racial profiling," and therefore objectionable (if you close your eyes, you can hear "the reverands" now). But I think millions of Americans are persuadable that taking off their shoes, having their children, and wives, daughters and grandmothers fondled by guys with bad breath and lascivious thoughts, posing for nearly nude pictures and all the rest can be replaced. Especially since these actions are calculated to give them the appearance of security, rather than the real thing.

          Just remember, Senorita Incompetance of TSA pronounced the panty bomber incident an example of the "system working." Of course, but only because of the brave passengers sitting next to him and the fact that he was too stupid to actually detonate the device. We can't risk too many more "successes" like that.
          Last edited by Old Pio; 03-20-2012, 01:07 AM.
          2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

          Comment


          • Re: Nice Planet 2011

            Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
            Who wouldn't what?

            If the FAA came out with this plan, I guarantee the politicians would go ballistic about this "profiling," twisting the actual facts about it. And the public would eat it up. And then it wouldn't happen.
            This wouldn't be the FAA's deal. It'd be TSA, most likely. And which politicians would go ballistic? I'm not talking about "the reverends", I'm talking about actual politicians. You would have to be a moron to equate behavior profiling with racial profiling.

            OP: Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see it implemented in the US. I think it would work really well. I just think that the reason it wouldn't be is money and not the "p-word"
            Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
            Originally posted by Quizmire
            mns, this is why i love you.

            Originally posted by Markt
            MNS - forking genius.

            Originally posted by asterisk hat
            MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

            Originally posted by hockeybando
            I am a fan of MNS.

            Comment


            • Re: Nice Planet 2011

              Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
              This wouldn't be the FAA's deal. It'd be TSA, most likely. And which politicians would go ballistic? I'm not talking about "the reverends", I'm talking about actual politicians. You would have to be a moron to equate behavior profiling with racial profiling.

              OP: Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see it implemented in the US. I think it would work really well. I just think that the reason it wouldn't be is money and not the "p-word"
              Understand. What I have in mind is a pilot program. And glowing testimonials from passengers. Possibly an apprehension of a real terrorist (or maybe a seriously deranged person). As opposed to a Fuller Brush man with more than 2oz. of Rogaine in his carryon. And a constituency developing. And a national discussion about changing the model. And then somebody making it an issue in a presidential race. Probably a Republican because all those clods at airports either are or will soon be unionized.

              Although not a TSA triumph, remember the time "security" folks stopped an old man by the name of Joe Foss at an airport because of a "suspicious" item he had in his brief case? Foss had been governor of South (?) Dakota and the first commissioner of the AFL. He was also a fighter ace from WWII, and the "suspicious" item was his Medal of Honor! You just can't be too careful with octogenarian MOH winners, know what I mean?
              Last edited by Old Pio; 03-20-2012, 02:13 AM.
              2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

              Comment


              • Re: Nice Planet 2011

                Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                Who wouldn't what?

                If the FAA came out with this plan, I guarantee the politicians would go ballistic about this "profiling," twisting the actual facts about it. And the public would eat it up. And then it wouldn't happen.
                That is profiling, and that is wrong.
                Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

                RIP - Kirby

                Comment


                • Re: Nice Planet 2011

                  One thing I have always wondered, why don't they have bomb sniffing dogs at all security checkpoints? Those dogs are generally very good at detecting what they are trained to detect.
                  Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

                  RIP - Kirby

                  Comment


                  • Re: Nice Planet 2011

                    Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                    One thing I have always wondered, why don't they have bomb sniffing dogs at all security checkpoints? Those dogs are generally very good at detecting what they are trained to detect.
                    I'm guessing expense. It takes quite a bit of money to properly train a police dog, much less a dog specifically trained to sniff out bombs.
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

                    Comment


                    • Re: Nice Planet 2011

                      Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                      I'm guessing expense. It takes quite a bit of money to properly train a police dog, much less a dog specifically trained to sniff out bombs.
                      Would also have no effect on attacks coming in from outside the US, where the dogs would most likely not be standard.

                      Comment


                      • Re: Nice Planet 2011

                        Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                        Would also have no effect on attacks coming in from outside the US, where the dogs would most likely not be standard.
                        Good point.
                        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

                        Comment


                        • Re: Nice Planet 2011

                          Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                          Would also have no effect on attacks coming in from outside the US, where the dogs would most likely not be standard.
                          That's the case with whatever strategy is used. I would guess that the US works with security at other international airports that fly into the US so that they can have an expectation that passengers have been screened, though, I'm not sure how that works. I know that the security in Amsterdam sure seemed tighter than it was here in the US.
                          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

                          RIP - Kirby

                          Comment


                          • Re: Nice Planet 2011

                            Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                            That's the case with whatever strategy is used. I would guess that the US works with security at other international airports that fly into the US so that they can have an expectation that passengers have been screened, though, I'm not sure how that works. I know that the security in Amsterdam sure seemed tighter than it was here in the US.
                            The security in Budapest when I flew out of there was ... not tighter. The fact is, part of the reason we have only the illusion of security is exactly this. If someone really wanted to do something nasty, they would figure out what airports have lax security, and fly in from them.

                            Of course, there are all manner of other things that make our security an illusion rather than an actuality.

                            (And God Dammit I'm getting tired of agreeing with Old Pio!!! )

                            Comment


                            • Re: Nice Planet 2011

                              Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                              Would also have no effect on attacks coming in from outside the US, where the dogs would most likely not be standard.
                              Yes and no - it obviously wouldn't do anything to protect inbound flights from international destinations. However, once you arrive in the US, you are required to clear customs and re-enter the airport via a security checkpoint, so it actually would protect domestic flights from passengers who originated at a foreign airport.
                              If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

                              Comment


                              • Re: Nice Planet 2011

                                Great success...NOT!
                                Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X