X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Nice Planet 2011

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
    You have to be kidding me. Religious fundamentalists make me so angry I could vote a straight D ticket this fall.

(I didn't read the legislation, so I'm only getting the ACLU author's spin on this, but there shouldn't even *be* a discussion about this to spin in the first place)
    Kansas = full of Texans.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveP View Post
      I know that I'm late to the tipping discussion, but I thought I'd add my 2 cents about what happened a week ago while at the ACHA National Tournament in suburban Cleveland.

We joined about 30 Penn State parents and fans at a Buffalo Wild Wings (pre-arranged seating) for a post-game meal. The orders were screwed up (at least two weren't delivered), the food was awful (cold ribs and greasy wings with some orange glop that was supposed to be Buffalo sauce) and no utensils. A half dozen "servers" could figure out who got the food that was delivered.

Because we were a group, the "obligatory" 18% gratuity was added to all of our bills. We all paid, but I made sure to speak with the manager to let him know that I will tip for good food and service, but we got neither that night.

Frankly, I don't know why BWW is such a popular chain. I've been in three of them and all of them had the worst wings I've ever eaten. Mama Teressa must be spinning in her grave.
      Old Pio Annecdote Alert: In high school my family and another took annual Civil War Battlefield tours. And we stayed at the Penn Daw Motorcourt in Alexandria more than once. There was a wonderful, elderly, black waiter there who never wrote down our orders. He could never keep straight who ordered what. Never. He'd get the right food, but put it down in front of the wrong diner. And we wouldn't say or do anything until after he'd left. Then we'd pass our plates around, like a game of musical chairs, so everybody got what they'd ordered. There's no way we'd embarrass him by saying anything. We were a good sized group (10) and we just didn't want to hurt his feelings. Nor was there a chance in h*ll our fathers stiffed him on the tip because of his inability to keep 10 orders straight in his head. No way. No how.

This was the gentleman who one morning at breakfast shoved a newspaper into my father's hand with front page photos of violence at a civil rights demonstration somewhere. With tears in his eyes, and voice trembling, he told the old man "look what they're doing to my people." Somebody else, much younger, with a bad attitude might get a reduced tip, not this man.
      Last edited by Old Pio; 03-13-2012, 05:31 PM.
      2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
        Old Pio Annecdote Alert: In high school my family and another took annual Civil War Battlefield tours.
        Were you worried about getting shot since the Civil War was still going on when you were in high school?

Comment

Originally posted by cF[Authentic] View Post
          Were you worried about getting shot since the Civil War was still going on when you were in high school?
          there was no shooting going on. These battlefields were still in the planning stages back then.
          Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
          USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Morocco outraged over suicide of rape victim forced to marry rapist

Comment

When I first read the title, I though that Morocco was outraged over the suicide but not the forced to marriage.

Comment

If it is such a dishonor to a rape victim's family, how is it that the family doesn't avenge that honor upon the life of the perpetrator? Why is this the problem of the victim??
                bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
                  If it is such a dishonor to a rape victim's family, how is it that the family doesn't avenge that honor upon the life of the perpetrator? Why is this the problem of the victim??
                  Go back about 30 yrs and that is what it was in this country. I still remember the start of the cultural shift (which was extremely controversial) in the late 70s when the beaten woman was finally beginning to be viewed as a 'victim' and the rape victim was still under scrutiny to figure out what she did to deserve it. At the time I was in Nursing School we still had problems with the police not arresting the perps. Some of the local towns still struggle with that. It is much easier to blame the victim than to feel her shame or the helplessness of not being able to remedy the damage. Thankfully we don't make people marry their rapists.

Comment

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
                    She must have been wearing an extra slutty burqa.
                    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                      there was no shooting going on. These battlefields were still in the planning stages back then.
                      "Are there no prisons? Are there no work houses?"

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                        Go back about 30 yrs and that is what it was in this country. I still remember the start of the cultural shift (which was extremely controversial) in the late 70s when the beaten woman was finally beginning to be viewed as a 'victim' and the rape victim was still under scrutiny to figure out what she did to deserve it. At the time I was in Nursing School we still had problems with the police not arresting the perps. Some of the local towns still struggle with that. It is much easier to blame the victim than to feel her shame or the helplessness of not being able to remedy the damage. Thankfully we don't make people marry their rapists.
                        "Anatomy of a Murder" illustrates that phenomenon rather well. What with all the references to Lee Remick's bare legs, lack of a girdle and panties.
                        Last edited by Old Pio; 03-16-2012, 01:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cF[Authentic] View Post
                          My father was Mathew Brady.

Comment

Anybody troubled by the charges filed against the adults in the case of that 9-year old who took a .45 to school? An 8-year old girl was shot in the incident. I say, put these low life scuzzballs under the prison.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/03/15...wounding-girl/

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
                              Anybody troubled by the charges filed against the adults in the case of that 9-year old who took a .45 to school? An 8-year old girl was shot in the incident. I say, put these low life scuzzballs under the prison.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/03/15...wounding-girl/
                              But...but...but... it's Fox News

Comment

Originally posted by whatever View Post
                                But...but...but... it's Fox News
                                My mind is open to reliable information from many sources, unlike so many who post here.

Comment

Working...
                                X