X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nice Planet 2011

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
    An uplifting moment: Wisconsin union goons protesting Gov. Walker at a Special Olympics event. Very classy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcuqM1LEi5c
    What a bunch of low life arseholes!!!

Comment

http://www.thinkatheist.com/profiles...d-in-texas-for

Bill Nye, the harmless children's edu-tainer known as "The Science Guy," managed to offend a select group of adults in Waco, Texas at a presentation, when he suggested that the moon does not emit light, but instead reflects the light of the sun.

As even most elementary-school graduates know, the moon reflects the light of the sun but produces no light of its own.

But don't tell that to the good people of Waco, who were "visibly angered by what some perceived as irreverence," according to the Waco Tribune.

Nye was in town to participate in McLennan Community College's Distinguished Lecture Series. He gave two lectures on such unfunny and adult topics as global warming, Mars exploration, and energy consumption.

But nothing got people as riled as when he brought up Genesis 1:16, which reads: "God made two great lights -- the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars."

The lesser light, he pointed out, is not a light at all, but only a reflector.

At this point, several people in the audience stormed out in fury. One woman yelled "We believe in God!" and left with three children, thus ensuring that people across America would read about the incident and conclude that Waco is as nutty as they'd always suspected.

This story originally appeared in the Waco Tribune, but the newspaper has mysteriously pulled its story from the online version, presumably to avoid further embarrassment.
      I wish I am able to live long enough to do all the things I was attributed to.

Comment

I worked in Houston for the entire decade of the 80's. And the Southern Baptist Convention was torn by the debate over biblical inerrancy. If you didn't believe you were apostate. Life long professors of theology at Baylor were hauled before star chamber proceedings and accused. The head of the SBC announced that "God does not hear the prayers of Jews." Which is funny, since my reading of the Old Testament convinces me that Moses had God on speed dial. This went on for years, and based on this story, has not quite gone away. I remember doing an interview with a Baptist professor of physics at the University of Houston and he was explaining how he reconciled his faith with a belief in evolution. After all, Vernon Howell picked Waco as the headquarters of the Branch Davidians for a reason, didn't he?
        Last edited by Old Pio; 06-09-2011, 03:12 PM.
        2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Young lady wants to wear her Marine dress blues to her high school graduaton. Predictably, the school says no.

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2011/...ol-graduation/

Comment

Young lady wants to wear her Marine dress blues to her high school graduaton. Predictably, the school says no.

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2011/...ol-graduation/
            While I personally think that she should be allowed, I can see why the school officials are saying no. There is a blanket mentality out there that if you let one person do something, you have to let everyone else do it as well. You let one girl wear something different, the next thing you know you have everyone else petitioning to wear something different, and they'd have to say yes because they let this happen before and "fair is fair." Asinine? Absolutely, but more or less there for a reason.
            Always a Wildcat...
            Originally posted by Kepler
            If you quote the derp you are spreading the derp. Please help keep the board derp-free.

Comment

Originally posted by nmupiccdiva View Post
              While I personally think that she should be allowed, I can see why the school officials are saying no. There is a blanket mentality out there that if you let one person do something, you have to let everyone else do it as well. You let one girl wear something different, the next thing you know you have everyone else petitioning to wear something different, and they'd have to say yes because they let this happen before and "fair is fair." Asinine? Absolutely, but more or less there for a reason.
              Perhaps. But as adults they should be able to allow some exceptions and disallow others. "Yes" to the young lady in her Marine uniform, "no" to the young lady who's completed her training at Hooters. I'm guessing this particular request for an exception is a first. You're right. It's certainly easier to "just say no." To me, this is first cousin to those zero tolerance weapons policies that can't or won't differentiate between fingernail clippers and AK47s. This might be a good time to let the students know that one size does not fit all. Personal note: I had a very good friend graduate from Northern Illinois University in his uniform as a Marine 2nd lieutenant. The graduates posed for a picture on the football field and the only guy you could clearly see was my buddy, in his dress whites, looking like a Good Humor man.
              Last edited by Old Pio; 06-09-2011, 05:43 PM.

Comment

Perhaps. But as adults they should be able to allow some exceptions and disallow others. "Yes" to the young lady in her Marine uniform, "no" to the young lady who's completed her training at Hooters.
                In theory you're 100% absolutely correct. The problem is the chick from Hooters will sue the district (or whatever body her lawyers can get their hands on) and now they have to spend money to defend their position. I might be overlooking an obvious rebuttal to that concept but that's the first thought that came to mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                  In theory you're 100% absolutely correct. The problem is the chick from Hooters will sue the district (or whatever body her lawyers can get their hands on) and now they have to spend money to defend their position. I might be overlooking an obvious rebuttal to that concept but that's the first thought that came to mind.
                  The one thing that might keep this issue from whirling off into Neverland is the fact that the ACLU is not likely to represent Miss Hooters. No anti-religion aspect here. The ACLU threatens legal action which school districts can't afford, so you're right, they cave in to avoid the expense. It's just much easier to deny the young jar head. Pity. I've been wondering how she managed to go to basic and complete her hs requirements, apparantly at the same time. She's evidently a good kid and deserves better.

Comment

She finished her studies early, graduated, went to basic training, and now wants to go through the graduation proceedings. I'm with 'diva. A rule is a rule. And I don't believe that there is anything stopping her from wearing the uniform under the cap and gown during the ceremony, and go without the cap and gown whenever possible.
                    bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                    SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                    All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                    A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
                      She finished her studies early, graduated, went to basic training, and now wants to go through the graduation proceedings. I'm with 'diva. A rule is a rule. And I don't believe that there is anything stopping her from wearing the uniform under the cap and gown during the ceremony, and go without the cap and gown whenever possible.
                      I thought the same thing. This is about graduating and being part of the school. There is no reason to stick out by not wearing your cap and gown.

Comment

Why are you people interrupting Old POS's whine-a-thon?

Comment

I imagine it would violate some kind of terms of the dress uniform.

Also, knowing most schools these days, there are probably requirements for what students must wear under the gown, too*.

*At my 2003 HS graduation and my sister's 2005 HS graduation, our school had no dress requirements for graduation outside of the cap and gown. By my brother's 2010 graduation, there were pretty strict requirements and several inspections before the graduates went on stage to make sure the requirements were met and maintained.
                          Always a Wildcat...
                          Originally posted by Kepler
                          If you quote the derp you are spreading the derp. Please help keep the board derp-free.

Comment

Originally posted by Foxton View Post
                            Why are you people interrupting Old POS's whine-a-thon?
                            Because they don't want to embarrass you about your "special relationship" with Anthony Weiner?
                            Last edited by Old Pio; 06-09-2011, 10:54 PM.

Comment

No offense intended, but that's about the dumbest thing I've ever heard. What possible point would there be for her to do that? It's like being on "double secret probation." The stupid people who run this school should be delighted that they've produced a young lady who can meet the graduation requirements and the rigors of Marine basic training and who wants to show her pride in her country and her school by "walking" in her uniform. Barney Fife is alive and well.
                              Last edited by Old Pio; 06-09-2011, 10:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                                I thought the same thing. This is about graduating and being part of the school. There is no reason to stick out by not wearing your cap and gown.
                                Yeah, to h*ll with her wanting to show her patriotism and pride. Right on. She should be just like all the other loser drones at this high school, reading several grades below where they should be and fit only for a life time of entry level work. Uh, except for the jocks. Some of whom will undoubtedly be heading to Ohio State.

There's no reason for her to "stand out" unless she's outstanding, which she clearly is.
                                Last edited by Old Pio; 06-09-2011, 10:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X