IIHF World Championships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by collegehcky2 View Post
    Between him and Blake Wheeler playing keep away with his own linemates, it was easy to see why they lost. In positives Miele's play is making Scott Gordon look like a bigger idiot for scratching him.
    If I remember, Miele wasn't allowed to play the first three games.
    It had something to do with not being registered.
    "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
    -Gallagher

R.I.P.
    Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
    Grandma ~ Jan 2004
    Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
    Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
      If I remember, Miele wasn't allowed to play the first three games.
      It had something to do with not being registered.
      You mean he had not payed his $30 to U$AHockey???
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
        You mean he had not payed his $30 to U$AHockey???
        Unlike college football players, college hockey players don't get paid until they leave school without getting jobs.
        Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
        Originally posted by Quizmire
        mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
        MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
        MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
        I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Re: IIHF World Championships

Originally posted by cF[Authentic] View Post
          It's a shame we couldn't get Quick or Miller to sign up for this thing. Even a drunk Jeff Frazee might not suck as much.
          Wonderous part of the World Championships, nobody wants to play.
          U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
          Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
          I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
          But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
          Originally posted by Doyle Woody
          Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
            Wonderous part of the World Championships, nobody wants to play.
            why would they?
            “Unless you’re Boston College, you don’t get here every year.”

Pinhead Nation: "gone" but not forgotten

Originally posted by shrader
            Admin, do you still hate BC? If not, will darin and MAV ever be freed? If you do still hate BC, why is SteveF allowed to post?
            Hockey East Champions: 1987, 1990, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012
            National Champions: 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012

Comment

Originally posted by SteveF View Post
              why would they?
              Represent your country, which, back in the day, used to be a big thing.

Now for a different tack.....

Should USA Hockey put a bid to host the WC and use the Ralph and Mariucci as the host sites with the semis and finals at the Ralph?
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Represent your country, which, back in the day, used to be a big thing.

Now for a different tack.....

Should USA Hockey put a bid to host the WC and use the Ralph and Mariucci as the host sites with the semis and finals at the Ralph?
                I would go, even if I had to stay in the Motel 6 in Fargo. I don't care that we suck every year by sending our wanna be's and has beens. I just love the idea of international hockey tournaments and can't wait every four years for the Olympics. I just hate that there is so much bad blood between the IIHF and USA Hockey, to the point that USA Hockey basically blows off the tournament every year and treats it as a series of scrimmages.

Maybe its just jealousy over the IIHF not being able to sell their sport in the most lucrative market, and the fact that they just can't (or won't) compete with the NHL Playoffs. Every write-up on the IIHF website takes a poke at the US in some fashion (maybe the Swiss are still bitter about us pointing out how much Nazi-confiscated Jewish money they still hold or how they treated interned US airmen during WWII!). And this whole "Triple Gold" thing is a joke. There are only two significant trophies in an international hockey player's career--Olympic gold and the Stanley Cup. Most of them don't seem to care too much, or seem to be trying too hard for a World Championship goldl, unless they're 39 years old and don't have a contract for next season.

But if I was running the US bid, I'd put the four groups in Minny (minimum two Scandinavian teams), Detroit, Philly and Boston, qualifying rounds in New York and Chicago and the quarters, semis and championship in DC. Relegation group would be played in Fort Wayne or Sheboygan. But we'll have to wait until at least 2017, with Finland/Sweden, Belarus and the Czechs hosting the next three, and the US not even bidding on 2016.
                But there's always hope. In the end, that was about all this year's team had.
                2010-2011 Atlantic Hockey Pick 'Em Champion!
                2013 Atlantic Hockey Postseason Pick 'Em Champion!
                Air Force Falcons
                2007 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA West Regional
                2008 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA Northeast Regional
                2009 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA East Regional Final
                2011 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA East Regional
                2012 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA Northeast Regional

Comment

Originally posted by SteveF View Post
                  why would they?
                  Exactly. It's a yearly tournament that means very little, except for maybe being one of the requirements for the Triple Gold Club (which means somewhat little). It's during the NHL playoffs so most countries don't have their best players. It's nearly always in Europe (2008 was in Canada. Quick name the last time it was not in Europe before that? Yes it was 1962! Good answer!) so nobody in North America cares. And of course, it's under IIHF rules, which in the Olympics with the best players is awesome, but at the WC's with a bunch of scrubs it sucks.

Now if the IIHF had some sense and made the World Championships an every 4 years tournament in between Olympics (effectively replacing the World Cup) and had the sense to work with the NHL and Hockey Canada and USA Hockey to make this thing a big deal. But the IIHF and the NHL don't get along too greatly and the Euro countries that control the IIHF really don't like the NHL, Hockey Canada, nor USA Hockey. So yeah that ain't happening. Also, the TV money apparently is a big deal to the IIHF so that's why they won't stop playing it yearly (even during Olympic years).

Now if USA Hockey wanted to bid the problem with the Marriucci/Ralph is that they're different sized rinks, they got no problem going to North American rinks (the WJCs and the 2008 WCs showed that) it's just one venue having a bigger rink than the other creates problems. What about the Kohl Center and the Marriucci? International sized rinks, both 10k+ capacity, both good hockey markets, both near Canada, more importantly both available. That would work.
                  U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                  Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                  I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                  But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                  Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                  Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Suomi!!!!
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Suomi!!!!
                      What are you doing in Houghton? Interviewing for an assistant coach position?
                      Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                      Originally posted by Quizmire
                      mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                      MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                      MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                      I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

you can tell no one cares about a tournament when finland wins
                        “Unless you’re Boston College, you don’t get here every year.”

Pinhead Nation: "gone" but not forgotten

Originally posted by shrader
                        Admin, do you still hate BC? If not, will darin and MAV ever be freed? If you do still hate BC, why is SteveF allowed to post?
                        Hockey East Champions: 1987, 1990, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012
                        National Champions: 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012

Comment

Working...
                        X