Who is John Galt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is John Galt?

I see that USCHO has a link to Atlas Shrugged movie Part 1 on their home page. I just finished reading the book. I'm looking forward to seeing the movie (comes out tax day, how appropriate) but unfortunately, it appears I'll have to drive to Illinois. It's an indie film with limited showings, so that sucks.
    No man is entitled to the benefits of freedom if he is not vigilant in its preservation. - Douglas MacArthur

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. - Albert Einstein

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.- Thomas Jefferson

Re: Who is John Galt?

I know they felt they had to be accurate to the book, but isn't it a bit silly to still have Taggart be a train company? Seems so... 1950s.

Comment

Tell that to Joe Biden. I saw the trailer. They have bullet trains and some pretty sleak bridges made out of Reardon Metal.
      No man is entitled to the benefits of freedom if he is not vigilant in its preservation. - Douglas MacArthur

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. - Albert Einstein

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I read that book during High School (somewhere between 1961 and 1964) and found it very interesting. I wanted to read Ayn Rand's other best seller The Fountainhead but I still haven't.
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
          I read that book during High School (somewhere between 1961 and 1964) and found it very interesting. I wanted to read Ayn Rand's other best seller The Fountainhead but I still haven't.
          From strictly a story standpoint, the latter is much better. Better characters, better story development and a plot that is much easier to relate to in terms of every day things we all know. Always thought The Fountainhead would make a much better movie than Atlas Shrugged, as not only is it better visually, but Atlas seems to be a watered-down disparate version of something I'm not sure needed to be refined.

Has anyone actually read Galt's full speech? Ever?
          I wish I am able to live long enough to do all the things I was attributed to.

Comment

Originally posted by XYZ View Post
            Has anyone actually read Galt's full speech? Ever?
            That's pretty funny. And I was one of those people who, right from page one, was thinking, "This is IT! This makes it all come together! This Rand person is on to something!" Once I hit that speech though, I started checking how far I had to go. "Holy ****, this has been going on for twenty pages. I've still got -- six, eight, ten, how many more to go? Is this all the same speech?" Etc.
            Bugs Bunny - 96
            Gas House Gorillas - 95

Comment

Yup, I definitely did a lot of skimming while reading that book.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                I read Fountainhead when I was 15 and found it brilliant (and very badly written). I tried rereading it again about 4 years later and found it childish (and very badly written). I've talked to a lot of people who had the same experience.

Her essays at least drop the pretense of creating "characters" (all mouthpieces or foils for her) and dramatic situations (all morality tales to play out her particularly narrow worldview). I recommend For a New Intellectual to give you all the Rand you want in a tenth the time.

Her shtick was saying facile, outrageously un-PC things at a time when people actually made serious arguments in print. Now everybody writes facile, outrageously un-PC things in chat rooms so, hey, I guess she's a pioneer in dumbing down the debate. Rah.
                Last edited by Kepler; 03-31-2011, 07:23 AM.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                  Her shtick was saying facile, outrageously un-PC things at a time when people actually made serious arguments in print. Now everybody writes facile, outrageously un-PC things in chat rooms so, hey, I guess she's a pioneer in dumbing down the debate. Rah.
                  In other words, she would have made a killing on talk radio/TV.
                  "We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate." -Thomas Jefferson

"I confess I enjoy democracy immensely. It is incomparably idiotic, and hence incomparably amusing." -H. L. Mencken

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ScottM View Post
                    In other words, she would have made a killing on talk radio/TV.
                    Oh God yes. She was made for it. Apparently she made a living on the plutocrat living room lecture circuit. There's nothing the rich like more than being caressed -- every tin horn dictator has his sychophants. Evidently she threw in a few extras as well although... shiver... pass.
                    *****http://images.nymag.com/arts/books/features/aynrand091026_250.jpg******

A handy guide to every Ayn Rand novel:
                    *****http://www.balloon-juice.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/Ayn-Rand.jpg******
                    Last edited by Kepler; 03-31-2011, 08:39 AM.
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by WeWantMore View Post
                      I know they felt they had to be accurate to the book, but isn't it a bit silly to still have Taggart be a train company? Seems so... 1950s.
                      Given the auto bailouts, a car manufacturing company would make a lot more sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Bakunin View Post
                        Given the auto bailouts, a car manufacturing company would make a lot more sense.
                        Yes and no.

Yes, given that the railroad industry isn't nearly the symbol of commercial wealth that it was prior to the 50's. Even Rand couldn't imagine that by the turn of the century the only transcontinental passenger rail service in the US would be government owned. How did she miss that?

No, even as the railroad industry was failing in Atlas Shrugged, it didn't get any bailouts from Washington. They screwed themselves by forming the National Alliance of Railroads and then passing the Railroad Unification Plan. The plan made all railroads operate as a team, pool their revenues, and then receive payment in proportion to total miles of track owned, not necessarily for services rendered. So the smaller, more profitable Phoenix-Durango sent their profits to the bigger, floundering Taggart Trans. Imagine if Pepsi had to bailout Coke!?!

Comment

Originally posted by Wol4ine View Post
                          Yes and no.

Yes, given that the railroad industry isn't nearly the symbol of commercial wealth that it was prior to the 50's. Even Rand couldn't imagine that by the turn of the century the only transcontinental passenger rail service in the US would be government owned. How did she miss that?

No, even as the railroad industry was failing in Atlas Shrugged, it didn't get any bailouts from Washington. They screwed themselves by forming the National Alliance of Railroads and then passing the Railroad Unification Plan. The plan made all railroads operate as a team, pool their revenues, and then receive payment in proportion to total miles of track owned, not necessarily for services rendered. So the smaller, more profitable Phoenix-Durango sent their profits to the bigger, floundering Taggart Trans. Imagine if Pepsi had to bailout Coke!?!
                          So it was more like MLB?

Comment

No. In MLB the money flows from the Yankees to the Royals.

Comment

Originally posted by Wol4ine View Post
                              I see that USCHO has a link to Atlas Shrugged movie Part 1 on their home page. I just finished reading the book. I'm looking forward to seeing the movie (comes out tax day, how appropriate) but unfortunately, it appears I'll have to drive to Illinois. It's an indie film with limited showings, so that sucks.
                              Oh I didnt realize a movie was being made. I usually don't like movies made out of books, but I am kind of curious on this one.

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                              Oh God yes. She was made for it. Apparently she made a living on the plutocrat living room lecture circuit. There's nothing the rich like more than being caressed -- every tin horn dictator has his sychophants. Evidently she threw in a few extras as well although... shiver... pass.
                              *****http://images.nymag.com/arts/books/features/aynrand091026_250.jpg******

A handy guide to every Ayn Rand novel:
                              *****http://www.balloon-juice.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/Ayn-Rand.jpg******
                              That graphic was hilarious!
                              www.karenwingerphotography.com

Comment

Working...
                              X