Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who is John Galt?

In memoria.

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other involves orcs."
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Kepler just explained his existence, if I understand correctly.
      Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        Review of the movie as a movie rather than... well, you know.

Hmm....thanks for posting the review. I didn't need to read far. What I found interesting is that fans of V for Vendetta the book were so harsh on the movie. I found the movie V for Vendetta as a fascinating movie that operated on several different levels. (I have not read the book).

Given the title and the central scene of the movie (in which V walks through fire), the movie works quite well as a re-telling of Frankenstein: the freak of nature who cannot ever have a normal human life sets out to revenge himself on his creators and falls in love with someone he cannot have.

It also works quite well as a police procedural / political suspense thriller: will our intrepid investigators find the truth? will they be deterred? will they be killed by the powers-that-be?

Then they threw in all that ancillary political commentary as a way of "messing with people" as the expression goes. He wanted revenge, and so he was a terrorist...yet the people upon whom he wanted to wreak vengeance were horrible evil tyrants, and so to the people he rescued, he was a freedom fighter too. "messing with people" in the sense that there was no "either / or" on this question, it was "both".
        "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

If I understand correctly, you and Kepler are complementary: he tells people what to do, and you tell people what not to do!

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
            If I understand correctly, you and Kepler are complementary: he tells people what to do, and you tell people what not to do!
            Kepler thinks V for Vendetta was a documentary.
            Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
              Kepler thinks V for Vendetta was a documentary.
              Phew, is that all.....I thought you were going to tell me he thought it was an autobiography!

Comment

I'm going to see the new documentary in Lansing tonight:
                "Ayn Rand & the Prophecy of Atlas Shrugged"
                No man is entitled to the benefits of freedom if he is not vigilant in its preservation. - Douglas MacArthur

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. - Albert Einstein

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Atlas Shrugged: Part II hits the theaters next week. Different actors than Part I, so that sucks. BUt looking forward to going none the less. Anyone else?
                  No man is entitled to the benefits of freedom if he is not vigilant in its preservation. - Douglas MacArthur

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. - Albert Einstein

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Wol4ine View Post
                    Atlas Shrugged: Part II hits the theaters next week. Different actors than Part I, so that sucks. BUt looking forward to going none the less. Anyone else?
                    Sure. That's what's going to suck about it.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: It's ironic that in a free market, the massive failure of the first film did nothing to prevent the production of Atlas Shrugged 2: Shrug Harder.
                    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                      Sure. That's what's going to suck about it.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: It's ironic that in a free market, the massive failure of the first film did nothing to prevent the production of Atlas Shrugged 2: Shrug Harder.
                      The budget for these films weren't that big, only $6.5 million. It really didn't take much for the show to make money (box office of about $4.5 million, in limited release, and who knows how much on DVD/BD sales and rental). For the producers, I heard them in a radio interview saying that the first movie was more a labor of love/ideology than getting huge ROI. They likely made some money, enough for them to bankroll Part II, anyway.

Those figures are from IMDB.
                      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                        You're assuming that the "market" in this case is bounded by the film economy: production and distribution costs vs sales. It's not. The market in this case is tax policy. The movie's promoters are putting a handful of millions into the film in order to continue avoiding billions in taxation. In that regard, the films could each lose a hundred million dollars and be highly successful.

For that matter, the fact that they have any revenue at all makes them brilliant. They are getting people to pay to watch them run a commercial, and getting people like Wol4ine to (presumably) freely donate their time to publicize it.

That, my friend, is genius.
                        Last edited by Kepler; 10-05-2012, 12:01 PM.
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Wol4ine View Post
                          I saw something in our paper that referred to Atlas Shrugged: Part II as an upcoming release. I don't know why I find this funny, but my reaction on reading that was, "when did they release Part I." I actually go to a lot of movies and seriously had no idea they had already released Part I.
                          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                            I saw something in our paper that referred to Atlas Shrugged: Part II as an upcoming release. I don't know why I find this funny, but my reaction on reading that was, "when did they release Part I." I actually go to a lot of movies and seriously had no idea they had already released Part I.
                            It was a limited release. Very limited, in fact. I think it only came to one theater in the Minneapolis/St. Paul market and then the next closest theater was around Chicago.
                            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Oh glad I wandered into USCHO forums then, I will have to see if it is still running around here.
                              www.karenwingerphotography.com

Comment

Working...
                              X